Breaking News: Last Names Are Coming Back!

LiveReport

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dezire Moonlight wrote:

Afer getting a heardache trying to find out about "names", I just want to know one thing and I couldn't find it.  If you have the last name "Resident" (shudders) whatever they decide: picking from a list or choosing a last name.  Will you ever be able to get rid of the last name "Resident" without... once again... having to pay for the privilege???

You'd have to ask Rodvik and at the moment he does not appear to be answering any questions.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Dezire Moonlight wrote:

Afer getting a heardache trying to find out about "names", I just want to know one thing and I couldn't find it.  If you have the last name "Resident" (shudders) whatever they decide: picking from a list or choosing a last name.  Will you ever be able to get rid of the last name "Resident" without... once again... having to pay for the privilege???

You'd have to ask Rodvik and at the moment he does not appear to be answering any questions.

Our wants and not wants, concerning the last name thing, were so diverse that Rodvik saw that it was impossible to please all.  So, instead of doing something to please the majority, he decided to leave things as they are and do nothing.

Thus, single names will continue to appear into the grid.  And they will be more and more horrible, as the choices for good single name have run out long ago.  Strange decision this was.

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Dezire Moonlight wrote:

Our wants and not wants, concerning the last name thing, were so diverse that Rodvik saw that it was impossible to please all.  So, instead of doing something to please the majority, he decided to leave things as they are and do nothing.

Thus, single names will continue to appear into the grid.  And they will be more and more horrible, as the choices for good single name have run out long ago.  Strange decision this was.

I don't think there were any serious issues with the last name thing but with display names there were a ton of opinions.

If anything, I thin k the burr was in people completing the sign up process.

I do agree with you, strange decision. 

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing constants flow of new avatars with names like this:

emilyjaneberesford
PiligrimStar
TomPetty99
urbanedge
rubbia3
zanturk
xXOlaXx
ladywolfbane
LuisNewYorkMarket
Asderel
Ubbe71
stenyshock
n3oomh
123boladona123
XxLivewirexX
benzima
SeppDerDepp
hannalima2

... makes me really sad. These are not names anymore! They are just senseless gibberish. And the new account creators have no other choise but make those "names". Second Life will be filled with avatars having those horrible names! How fun is that? Uff... Linden Lab has totally lost  their view of what Second Life really is to us the users.

I would like to bang some heads... sFi_hammer.gif

Coby Foden wrote:

Seeing constants flow of new avatars with names like this:

[snipped random mess of pure horror]

... makes me really sad. These are not names anymore! They are just senseless gibberish. And the new account creators have no other choise but make those "names". Second Life will be filled with avatars having those horrible names! How fun is that? Uff... Linden Lab has totally lost  their view of what Second Life really is to us the users.

I would like to bang some heads...
sFi_hammer.gif

All I gotta say is there is no shortage right now of people in the San Francisco area with coding skills who are looking for work... people who could fix this...

I just read this and it said early January latest. Did it mean this January, that has already past, or next year? I haven't made a new avie since they came out with residents last names. So just thought I would ask. If this has been asked already i'm sorry for the repeat all I read was the very first post.

Penelope Rolendis wrote:

I just read this and it said early January latest. Did it mean this January, that has already past, or next year?

Well, the sad news is that it's not going to happen. :smileysad:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Update-Last-Names-Roundtable/td-p/1409403

But back to the matter at hand. As I promised if we couldn’t figure out a way that was a win/win for folks who want complete freedom vs. a list of last names, we wouldn’t do it. We couldn’t, so we wont.

[unquote]

Thus, only stupid, silly gibberish "names" for new accounts are possible.

MSTORIBOSSLADI1

byana58

destructa

Barbie69Doll

0susie0

mikeboy1213

StoneAdHelper

Dreamlovee

tatyaneconsilev

mimi2020

tatyaneconsilev

Rammun

estevanebella

0susie0

Clarinha20

zvaa

mssherlockholmes

chabiolo

sean55

shocked.jpg

Well that's just stupid. I mean there is always going to be some in SL that people don't agree on. Not everyone is going to like what happens with what is being done but last names would at least make someone who is new feel like they at least belong instead of seeing Resident all over the place like you do these days. There are more people signing up and joining SL now then there was a few years ago so why not at least give them the option to make their avatar seem as real as they want them and that includes SL. I'm sorry I have seen people use the Display name for some pretty Ridiculous and Stupid name been put there.

I am glad I signed up when I first did because even with the option of that Display name it just would feel like SL, you know what I mean?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Bugs Larnia wrote:

Jira for last names:

IMO JIRA for anything the Lindens don't want to do are a complete waste of time.

At least we can make it the biggest JIRA ever for votes and followers.

And then we can always point out and shout at the Lab: "Why are you not listening us!sFi_hammer.gif       :smileytongue:

• 1 month later...

I have been in sl for about a month now and just found out that there use to be Last Names i just figured that people changed their name by modifying their profile but those who have been here for over a year now were able to choose. Maybe the reason people signing up with SL now just simply didn't know there use to be a option which would be really nice to have had. Trying to think of a user name was just hard it took me almost 30 mins to find one that wasn't already taken soon there will be none left at this rate if more and more people are joining they will simply give up and go one to another 3d world that does offer last names. So this could cause some trouble to SL.

Just putting my 2 cents in and yes i know it's been awhile since anyone posted her.

I finally convinced a friend of mine to come try SL.  When I met him in world I noticed he had a very strange name (with the ubiquitous "Resident" surname).  I mean stranger than most first names...lol.  I asked him if it meant something and he said, "You mean that is SHOWING??? That is my SL pw!!!!!!  What kind of a game displays people's passwords????  It said not to worry about my name as I could pick it once I got in world!!!"  After I got him calmed down, I explained that somehow in the process he had put his pw in the name space; however this guy plays a lot of MMORPGs and is very tech savvy.  

Having not created an alt in a long time, I decided to see what the sign up procedure is now.  Sure enough, the place to enter one's pw and one's name *is* a bit confusing due to the wording.  I can see how one could make that mistake.  Another example of, imo, a VERY bad decision to not continue with surnames.  I have never run into anyone that said, "It took too long to choose a last name so I decided not to join SL," but I *have* run into people that really wish they had a last name.

• 2 months later...

Is the last name ever gonna work out or no?

I have alt with resident as last name (which is auto) it looks wierd... somewhat like a permanent code to be in sl... I love my older account with a last name. although it took me awhile to think of a good name but it worth my time. if SL still gonna think it over it is well appreciated. I have friends with resident as last name and they asked me how to change it i said they can do a display name and I have explained as such why now SL take up resident as last name permanently... what they have told me that it is ridiculous becos they wanna have a unique name as well.... 

So yea I think SL should better look it again. Even though more new comers with resident as their last name and yes some dont mind but half do mind and as they think if SL can be any lenient to choose las t name on their own. which is to go back to where it starts off...

MooN Ishtari wrote:

Is the last name ever gonna work out or no?

I have alt with resident as last name (which is auto) it looks wierd... somewhat like a permanent code to be in sl... I love my older account with a last name. although it took me awhile to think of a good name but it worth my time. if SL still gonna think it over it is well appreciated. I have friends with resident as last name and they asked me how to change it i said they can do a display name and I have explained as such why now SL take up resident as last name permanently... what they have told me that it is ridiculous becos they wanna have a unique name as well.... 

So yea I think SL should better look it again. Even though more new comers with resident as their last name and yes some dont mind but half do mind and as they think if SL can be any lenient to choose las t name on their own. which is to go back to where it starts off...

no they not coming back. not unless something total radical happens

+

the reason is here earlier in this thread. but i just put here again

when SL was first designed the database stored the lastname in a lookup table separate from the avatardets table

simple example

lastname table

id,lastname

1,Apple

2,Button

3,Camera

4,Derr

5,Derrmore

firstname,lastname.id

Adam,1

Betty,2

Bob,1

Jim,4

Jane,5

Zed,3

is over 30 million avatardets entries now

and is about 11,000 legacy lastnames

if lastnames continued with this design then would not scale

+

is possible to make a new way to have lastnames but would have to change the whole database system. bc rumor says that bc firstname&lastname.rid combines together is unique then that was used in early days as a uniqueid instead of uuids like now. so if they change to a new way then would have to repair/redo all the tables that use the old ways as well

+

in early days linden seemed to use the hax-it-and-worry-about-it-later method quite a lot

tbf tho they had to actually make everything up as they went along. bc nobody had invented a realtime streaming UGC 3D anything much in them days. is easy now to look back and go wut. but at the time getting it to actual go somehow and stay going was way more important than not going at all thru trying to make it go good

Hehe Yea. I just don't see it happening. It would be cool if it did, but I think last names coming back is a dead topic at the lab.. Maybe 6 years from now the  users who have the last name Resident will see us as gods because we have a different last name. . And all the lowly Resident peasants can bow before us eh? LMAO Kidding of course lol

I had read something about this as well, but then I also read that one reason LL stopped using last names was because it was contributing to a lack of new users because there were complaints that "it took too long" to choose a last name.  Not sure if LL did some kind of survey or if this was another of those actions taken to make SL more attractive to the gaming community where last names for avatars are either not used or one can create one later in the game.

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Hehe Yea. I just don't see it happening. It would be cool if it did, but I think last names coming back is a dead topic at the lab.. Maybe 6 years from now the  users who have the last name Resident will see us as gods because we have a different last name. . And all the lowly Resident peasants can bow before us eh? LMAO Kidding of course lol

Funny you should mention this...I went to a small club recently and when I entered I saw someone say "Wow!!  You're a Zenovka!!!"  which startled me a bit since I'd never had anyone say that before.  The same person said, "I don't even have to look at your profile to know you've been in SL a long time."

I felt special. :)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I had read something about this as well, but then I also read that one reason LL stopped using last names was because it was contributing to a lack of new users because there were complaints that "it took too long" to choose a last name.  Not sure if LL did some kind of survey or if this was another of those actions taken to make SL more attractive to the gaming community where last names for avatars are either not used or one can create one later in the game.

yes Rodvik Linden said that at the time. I think it was more to do with the signup completion rate. like the skite factor from business pov. they get more signups now with only one name to enter. also it really boost their numbers bc dont have to do the email confirmation thingy either

Pussycat made interesting observation about that. she said that on a site she admin they used to get 100s of signups a day that way. when they change to email confirm then only like 10s

Pussycat also made really astute observation that the 90s dif was all auto bots and spam programs signing up that way

even more astute Pussycat say that if is true of linden signups and most likely is. then the actual retention rate of actual real people is way higher than linden think it is

I never really thought about it before like that until she said

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.