Breaking News: Last Names Are Coming Back!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In a statement made on Second Life Profile Feeds (a.k.a. SLums) Rodvik Linden announced that last names will most likely being coming back early next year.  Quote: “Last names under active discussion.

Ossian wrote:

I have heard that the new names are going to be mesh-based, so that you can create them in external 3D modeling programs and import them into SL.

You will need a special viewer to see them, and if you don't the names will just look like random dots or nothing at all.

will there be an upload fee?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ossian wrote:

I have heard that the new names are going to be mesh-based, so that you can create them in external 3D modeling programs and import them into SL.

You will need a special viewer to see them, and if you don't the names will just look like random dots or nothing at all.

will there be an upload fee?

Yes, and it depends on the complexity of the name.  They are still working out the details of how to determine "complexity".

I have to admit, it is disappointing finding out that this post was two months old, because I really want the last names back, pronto! I hate going around being known as Celebee Resident, it sounds so ugly. Though I would be very happy to keep Spinks as my last name, I just want it to be officially Spinks and not Resident.

Celebee wrote:

I have to admit, it is disappointing finding out that this post was two months old, because I really want the last names back, pronto! I hate going around being known as Celebee Resident, it sounds so ugly. Though I would be very happy to keep Spinks as my last name, I just want it to be officially Spinks and not Resident.

actually it is just the one name..resident is there for the v1 viewers only..they had to do that because of their two name system and something to do with the old viewers..

what really has me confused is..if there is still a two name system then why not use it and get a list of last names and let users put in their last name they choose from that list..

they had to patch it for the v1 viewers..so why not unpatch it and let there be light again lol

i mean these mesh names just sound like they will be like display names that can be changed..

i thought the whole point was to get a last name that was permanent for individuality?

bleh..i have a feeling they are gonna over butter the biscuit

Ceka Cianci wrote:

actually it is just the one name..resident is there for the v1 viewers only..they had to do that because of their two name system and something to do with the old viewers..

what really has me confused is..if there is still a two name system then why not use it and get a list of last names and let users put in their last name they choose from that list..

they had to patch it for the v1 viewers..so why not unpatch it and let there be light again lol

i mean these mesh names just sound like they will be like display names that can be changed..

i thought the whole point was to get a last name that was permanent for individuality?

bleh..i have a feeling they are gonna over butter the biscuit

Well... I'm no programmer (don't have the brains for it) but I agree that the solution seems to be as simple as you mentioned. But Linden labs say that they want to improve the solution, so I guess we have to see how it goes. Though why fix it if it is working fine enough, I wonder?

I have to quote Ceka here in her comment that she's afraid they may "over butter the buscuit" - I'ts a last name. A simple thing. I really don't care - strike that - don't WANT some 3D rainbow glow-in-the-dark name that is annoying to see on the screen.

Just a name.

A normal last name. I mean, am I the only one wondering how 'extraordinary' the Linden's can make this? It's just a simple last name.

I mean... mesh names? lol...

Just bring back last names.

If you come up with something genius later, work out the bugs first, maybe take a poll, then try it out. Forgive me but I am trying to see the rhyme or reason for creating some crazy ordeal with names and it's just beyond me.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Echo Shoreman wrote:

I have to quote Ceka here in her comment that she's afraid they may "over butter the buscuit" - I'ts a last name. A simple thing. I really don't care - strike that - don't WANT some 3D rainbow glow-in-the-dark name that is annoying to see on the screen.

Just a name.

A normal last name. I mean, am I the only one wondering how 'extraordinary' the Linden's can make this? It's just a simple last name.

I mean... mesh names? lol...

Just bring back last names.

If you come up with something genius later, work out the bugs first, maybe take a poll, then try it out. Forgive me but I am trying to see the rhyme or reason for creating some crazy ordeal with names and it's just beyond me.

/me is serious for a bit

It seems like it should be simple to bring back last names.  

That create a couple problems for LL.
  1. It leaves the gap babies who were born with a sorta pretend last name of Resident.  
  2. It looks like LL made a mistake and had to back track.

That's some motivation to tie the return of last names to some new flashy feature.  Distraction from those negatives.

At the same time LL seems to feel that in-world there isn't enough opportunity for residents to like/love/vote for/rank each other.  Probably they're been working on some ranking system that will be visible near or as part of your name.  So tying that in may be a natural.  They can say lots of residents asked for it.

we had a ranking thing before as well lol

i think they just feel they have to make it better rather than saying..oops ..we should have never really gotten rid of these..lol

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely agree that it seems "the powers that be" are concerned about looking bad or admitting fault. But - everyone already agrees it is bad, and they are at fault i.e. responsible for a terrible idea.

That much is a concensus lol...

But, like any good business reliant upon customers and customer service: When there is an obvious problem, you fix it and fix it QUICK.

I have worked with the public, business matters and services offered my entire teen and adult life. In order to keep business going well and increasing, you can't sit back worrying about saving face when you're losing your ass in the meantime.

People don't want to sign up for SL in the first place, let alone stay and 'play' when their main form of initial identity (their name) is ugly/stupid/annoying -(or fill in your own descriptor).

If you have something that works, and you mess it up, just put it right again, period. Seems to be too simple for them to understand at "the lab".

When you have thousands complaining, and asking for a remedy... there is no need to take 6 months or longer to fix something so simple.

I am glad that we can all come on to discuss this though :)

Just would like to see some sort of progress... anything.

Oh, and happy March 1st. :matte-motes-impatient:

Also, as far as when I mentioned taking a poll - I didn't mean bring back the ranking system.

I was talking about a poll. For example, something like this:

Would you like to see last names return to SL?

⃞ yes

⃞ no

⃞ I don't care.

Would you like to see it return as it used to be or would you prefer to see an improvement such as mesh names, 3-D names, or some other alternative?

⃞ The same as it used to be, and bring them back ASAP!

⃞ Improvements welcome! Take your time!

Sadly this topic is no longer shiny.

In fact its starting to get rusted...

So I suspect the Lindens won't ever get around to completing this one... or if they do, it'll be more half-baked than baked.

Took em too long, and they've found a new ball of yarn to chase.

"
heh, nope been very engaged on the issue. I will respond tomorrow in full. I have learnt a LOT about the naming issue why things were changed. It is a very polarizing issue and finding a win / win for those who love naming freedom to those who love the bonding nature of pre picked names has proven impossible to do well. However I do have one feature we can commit to and a discussion going forward about another way to skin the cat. Will update tomorrow in more depth.
"

Yesterday Rodvik feed: https://my.secondlife.com/rodvik.linden/posts/4f285951be9e8f0001002204

Irene Muni wrote:

"
heh, nope been very engaged on the issue. I will respond tomorrow in full. I have learnt a LOT about the naming issue why things were changed. It is a very polarizing issue and finding a win / win for those who love naming freedom to those who love the bonding nature of pre picked names has proven impossible to do well. However I do have one feature we can commit to and a discussion going forward about another way to skin the cat. Will update tomorrow in more depth.
"

Yesterday Rodvik feed:

When he says "polarizing issue" one thing that comes to mind are cultural differences.  I am of course assuming by this statement that it is not just the technical issues. 

Different cultures do have different naming protocols. I believe in the Middle East I'd be 'Perrie bin (son Of) Juran.  In the Far East I'd be Juran Perrie. 

And there could still be people who want only a first name.

In a lot of places in the States, I'd be "hey you" or "Dude."

Regardless, "polarizing" seems to me to be a very strong word to use.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Agree. In fact I do't see "polarizing" about "bring back last names", I only see a very large majority requesting last names. I think the debate is on other issues: Display Names, Last Name chosen or created, Changes of Name ...

Irene Muni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Agree. In fact I do't see "polarizing" about "bring back last names", I only see
a very
large majority requesting last names.
I think the
debate is
on other issues: Display Names, Last Name
chosen or created, Changes of Name ...

Well we do know that no matter what they do, someone is not going to be happy with something.

What is interesting is that he said one of the things making it difficult are 'polarizing' issues.  Maybe some members of the Board are upset that they are wasting money on this?

Irene Muni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Agree. In fact I do't see "polarizing" about "bring back last names", I only see
a very
large majority requesting last names.
I think the
debate is
on other issues: Display Names, Last Name
chosen or created, Changes of Name ...

Yes. "Polarizing" means that some people are strongly pro- and some are strongly anti-, and that there is agitation and conflict between the camps.

In the case of last names, some people want last names, and other people don't care. I haven't seen a single person who's clamoring to NOT have last names return. That's hardly polarizing.

I also haven't seen any dissention about how last names should be. We all agree that they should be last. They should come after the first name. I don't see any disagreement, let alone polarization, around that.

Rodvik must mean that it's a polarizing issue among the Lindens.  I think the fact that he keeps bringing up titles (which is something that no one wants) supports this. It's likely that one or two Lindens are insisting that titles are essential and are effectively blocking the issue.  And there might be strong disagreement at LL about how last names will be implemented. I have no doubt that at least one incredibly complicated scheme has been cooked up. Hopefully there is some struggle between that idea and something simpler.

Here is Rod's latest update on this issue.

rodvik.linden

so I posted here http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Update-Last-Names-Roundtable/td-p/1409403 lets keep the chat here though. Feels better.

He was referring to his page where not a lot of people were aware of a discussion going on. He says "Low key and direct feedback off the radar, I like that."

Of course, then you only have 15 opinions instead of 1000's. Wait. This is better because..? If there are more mistakes being made by the Linden's it will remain "off the radar". Oh, gotcha.

There apparently is the idea of having a hyphenated name now, for example "Echo-Shoreman" and trying to remove where the last name of "Resident" is noticeable. (So everyone may have to scramble to register their first AND last name before a new resident snaps it up. Brilliant. :/ 

He goes on to say "Secondly we will be taking steps to remove more places where the dreaded “resident” last name appears inworld. If you have any places where you see it often that we might have missed it would be good to hear." As if the mere sight of the name Resident is causing an uproar. Do the Linden's even use Second Life on a regular or personal basis?!? It seems they just don't get it.

The update goes on to talk about "frontier feelings" and mainland which makes absolutely no sense to me. I can see they are trying every odd idea to fix a major screw-up with the last name situation, but If they hear anything at all, I hope they hear this: It has nothing to do with mainland, new shiney things, or hyphens and odd characters added to names. Adding a nice free side dish to a horrid meal doesn't make the meal taste better OR distract from the price.

To me the best solution is using Resident as another last name in a list to choose from like before. If you can't do that, for God's sake don't touch anything until you can do that. And keep trying!

Thanks for the rant space - I'm so highly disappointed right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Afer getting a heardache trying to find out about "names", I just want to know one thing and I couldn't find it.  If you have the last name "Resident" (shudders) whatever they decide: picking from a list or choosing a last name.  Will you ever be able to get rid of the last name "Resident" without... once again... having to pay for the privilege???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.