Mesh: Love, Hate, or Don't Care?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i actually like that some things don't hug me..it seems more realistic..like jeans..some jeans i wear a little bigger waist size..not anything extreme..but they are compfy and they look nice as well..

This is what converted me to mesh clothes.

Not having 'butt crack line' all the way down into my crotch on pants that were not spandex...
:)

And then tops that could fall loose below the bosom. Another big plus for looking natural. Because well, I don't wear Richard Simmons workout clothes everyday on the street either... so I'm tired of doing it in SL.

- I've seen those puffy sculpty pants for years in SL, but they always looked like wearing styrophome rocks taped to yourself...
:D

LOL richard simmons clothes hehehehe

ya it's nice to get away from the vacume freezer bag tops..

i had some of the baggies that were not too bad that were made from some creators that were very good with sculpts..but ya..there were some that just made me feel like i was a float in a parade..they looked better in the add than on me lol

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thus far, I have not bought anything mesh. I've tried demo clothing but nothing looks right. I have big boobs that move, so the mesh clothing doesn't wear right and it's just weird. Also, things just peek out all the time, like blobs of skin. Other weird problems, like my shoe alphas not working with the mesh clothes.

I love prim gowns that flow in the wind, and there's no flowing with mesh. I haven't learned to make mesh either and it seems like rocket science, so if it's the wave of the future, my poor little store is closing up, because I just don't have the passion to make something I don't wear. I'm not a hater, but not a fan right now. Time always tells, and I've changed my mind on other things.

• 1 month later...

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Do not like venues and stores that have products buried within MESH displays..
o.O
I am not ready to use FS 24/7 and there are now places and stores I will not visit until I go FS all the way. [not to mention the clothes where the person wearing them does not use the alphas and I see boobies ]

Welcome to modern SL. Use mesh or its no longer comprehensible.

Time to upgrade past 2009. I can sympathize with the cost of upgrading hardware - but in viewers, we've had 3 years to move on, and its really time.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Do not like venues and stores that have products buried within MESH displays..
o.O
I am not ready to use FS 24/7 and there are now places and stores I will not visit until I go FS all the way. [not to mention the clothes where the person wearing them does not use the alphas and I see boobies ]

Welcome to modern SL. Use mesh or its no longer comprehensible.

Time to upgrade past 2009. I can sympathize with the cost of upgrading hardware - but in viewers, we've had 3 years to move on, and its really time.

Oh no my hardware works fine on V3 Fs etc etc I only wish that the silver screen [GOM'ed from On-Rez] version was on the V3 by LL. I would be using it now. It;s a vision/eyes/headache thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally like mesh even if it emans having to modify my av to get some pieces to fit. I love how it all moves with you and not in to you.

Only thing I dont like is that I can only use one mesh item at a time. Is there something i'm missing or just not implemented yet? That is to use multiple mesh items. I can add regular attachments to my hearts content and would so love to be able to do same with mesh.

Like I said I dunno if I missed something on the viewer or not so any help would be welcome ;)

Destiny Dagostino wrote:

Only thing I dont like is that I can only use one mesh item at a time. Is there something i'm missing or just not implemented yet? That is to use multiple mesh items. I can add regular attachments to my hearts content and would so love to be able to do same with mesh.

Hmm... we can wear multiple mesh items similarly like we wear any other attachments.  There is no magic to it.  Add, add, add.  Really strange if it does not work for you.  Right now I have rigged mesh feet and rigged mesh jeans on me.  I could add more mesh items if I wanted to.

If you're talking about the alpha mask, it does detach if you don't add. So shoes, say will lose their mask if you put on a skirt without "adding" the 2nd alpha mask.

I made some mesh skirts, a 1/2 outfit. Lot of people are interested in the sample. LOL. When do we bother with samples? I think mesh has been here long enough.

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

I made some mesh skirts, a 1/2 outfit. Lot of people are interested in the sample. LOL. When do we bother with samples? I think mesh has been here long enough.

I have yet to find mesh clothing that fits my avatar perfectly. My avatar fits none of the so called 'standard' sizes.  So far I've only found a couple of pieces that fit somewhat when i use the alpha and don't alter the shape of may avatar drastically giving me the appearance of a much bigger butt or chest than I have or that doesn't fit properly at the waist.  So until the deformer is out and working I won't buy mesh clothes without a sample/demo to try on fits.  I am not alone in this.  In fact I like being able to try before i buy and may just continue the policy even after the deformer comes out.  After all we try on clothes in RL before buying them.

I have no option to add more than one mesh alpha. I cant for example wear a mesh pair of jeans and a mesh top. Ive tried just adding the top and for the most part it looks ok but when i move arms elbows stick out. Moving sliders does nothing to help. Im not using firestorm only the phoenix latest viewer with hardware skinning enabled.

Destiny Dagostino wrote:

I have no option to add more than one mesh alpha. I cant for example wear a mesh pair of jeans and a mesh top. Ive tried just adding the top and for the most part it looks ok but when i move arms elbows stick out. Moving sliders does nothing to help. Im not using firestorm only the phoenix latest viewer with hardware skinning enabled.

That's the problem, you cannot  wear multiple alpha masks in Phoenix, in Firestorm you can.  If you cannot run Firestorm (or any other V3 based viewer) you could try Cool viewer. It's V1 based viewer with mesh support and you can use multiple alpha masks with it.

Sextoy Gynoid wrote:

Until someone recognizes that real women have hips, I'll be a hater all the way.

There is hope for real women with (<--  H  I  P  S  -->).

The mesh deformer is under works. We might get it as a Christmas present this year; if all goes well... :smileytongue:

Meanwhile a teaser - to wet your appetite. Rigged mesh jeans and rigged mesh miniskirt. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Mesh-Jeans-and-Dress.jpg

Coby Foden wrote:

Sextoy Gynoid wrote:

Until someone recognizes that real women have hips, I'll be a hater all the way.

There's is hope for real women with (<--  H  I  P  S  -->).

The mesh deformer is under works. We might get it as a Christmas present this year; if all goes well... :smileytongue:

Meanwhile a teaser - to wet your appetite. Rigged mesh jeans and rigged mesh miniskirt.
:matte-motes-big-grin:

Mesh-Jeans-and-Dress.jpg

can't wait for the deformer..i hope we can still keep things a little loose on us..jeans especially..

and tops that let the fabic look more natural when it comes to the breast area..

I haven't tried any mesh clothes yet, but I tried mesh hair. I asked about it here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/How-can-I-find-mesh-hair/m-p/1482805

and I went to all the places recommended and tried on samples.

It looks pretty enough, but it doesn't move at all. It made me think of toothpaste. After that, I decided to stick with flexi hair.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Real women with hips? If I look at SL there are already too many who think they just need some wide hips to be sexy....:matte-motes-impatient:

Some hip is fine. Balloon hips with no crotch and jeans that are thinner top-to-bottom than a hair - that's just funky...

I've barely worn any of my pre-mesh clothing since moving to mesh clothes.

Pre-mesh clothing now just looks weird to me. Especially in the butt and bosom.

Use flexi hair for dreadlocks though. Have a few mesh avatars with mixed results. Works better for some things than others (DSD did a new mesh rabbit recently that I find amazing).

Mesh is really nice for buildings and furniture - but ONLY if its mod so you can shrink it to reduce prim costs. :)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Mesh is really nice for buildings and furniture - but ONLY if its mod so you can shrink it to reduce prim costs.
:)

Mesh or partial mesh is brilliant for buildings i purchased this build from Abiss after spending ages wondering if it was worth it i was stoked to to see it was only about 45 prims on it's own minus extras (less than half of what my previous building was) and even more delighted to find because it's part mesh it bought the prims/land impact down to 23 with all the prims it's saved i can afford to have a nicer skybox extra or primmier furniture if i want

ultrasoft wrote:

I haven't tried any mesh clothes yet, but I tried mesh hair. I asked about it here:

and I went to all the places recommended and tried on samples.

It looks pretty enough, but it doesn't move at all. It made me think of toothpaste. After that, I decided to stick with flexi hair.

I agree.

One day I went and tried on every mesh hair I could find. To me it all looked like it was made from playdo and reminded me of the very early days of pre flexi prim hair except that it did move slightly. When I danced or moved a lot it looked like I had used way to much hairspray and didn't move at all like RL hair would. The lack of alpha texture on the ends of the locks really bothered me too.  I'll stick with flexi hair.  Yes, it goes through the body but I can live with that.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Do you use mesh things?  If so, worn or rezzed items? 

If you do not use mesh (worn or rezzed), what are your reason(s) (eg do not use mesh viewer, have heard bad things about mesh, other)?

I do,  and I really really like it!

To creators:  Please offer demos ...  I simply will not buy mesh without trying first, for fit.  :-)

Most do, but not all .. I went to a shop over the weekend and there were such cute clothes, NO demos :-(

I'm ambivalent about Mesh. The technical aspects of it are beyond my knowledge, or even interest, I'm purely a consumer. I'm slowly acquiring Mesh items, clothing for the most part and I have mixed results with sizing. Sometimes I'm pretty much right on one of the standard sizes, and sometimes a fall in between. The inbetweens are a bit of an annoyance because I am really loathe to go fiddling with my shape for each outfit. The stuff looks great in many cases, so I'm sure everything will shake out over time..

• 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.