Mesh: Love, Hate, or Don't Care?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm neutral about mesh.

Pretty much the only things I buy or get in SL are clothes, hair, and shoes -- and I don't think the new mesh has had much of an impact there.

I have seen a few mesh items featured in fashion blogs, but none of them appealed to me enough that I went to try or buy them.

I don't actively seek out mesh items because -- as I understand it -- the items will either fit me or change me. So it's a gamble. I have some complicated prim clothes that don't fit right, but at least there I have the possibility of making them work.

I have seen a handful of people wear mesh clothes, but to me they appeared to have portions of their body invisible. It's probably a rezzing problem, because I've been using a mesh-capable viewer for a long time.

I'm sure the kinks will eventually work out, that sizing will someday be available, and probably something will be beautiful enough to compel me to want it. But that hasn't happened yet.

Love it.

Hair falls over my shoulders, not through it,

clothes move with my body, not my legs and ass through my skirts, 

and items that are mesh tend to be better in appearance and take up less land impact, so I can have more stuff on my land.

Changing my avatars body shape to fit mesh is almost nonexistent as most come in several sizes, and what body alterations are still necessary, if any, are equatable to fitting a prim shoe on our avatars foot. That is, an alpha layer is worn so parts don't stick out, just like alpha foot layers are worn so our heels fit.

Mesh avatars and animals, very cute.

I've been building in mesh since it hit the Magnum RC channel.  I've been able to replace prim and sculpt builds with sub-prim LI mesh items.  (^_^)

One of my most extreme examples is a house I have rezzed in Brown.  With fully formed window frames and arched doorways between rooms, it still comes up at about half the prims that would have been needed to make it as-is from prims.  Add that it doesn't have the spaghetti LOD effect sculpts have and it's a ++. =^-^=

Just last night I made a new tower to replace a prim one and wound up at arond 70% of the formal total prim count while still adding diagonal supports which would have made the original prim build unnecessary bloated. (^_^)

My message to any builder who is complaining about the LI system is very simple:  You're doing it wrong. (^_^)y

Pretty indifferent so far, not seen anything thats made me think 'ooooo need that' =^^= and more or less stuck to doing the little trick to cut the count on 'normal' prims which is a side effect really I suppose. Might experiment with some builds at some point and work on my Blender et al (lack) of skills but seen no pressing need yet. Viewer wise, its not a factor as I tend to switch between them at whim any way. Disclosure : not a big consumer of clothes or shoes :)

Pamela Galli wrote:

Do you use mesh things?  If so, worn or rezzed items? 

If you do not use mesh (worn or rezzed), what are your reason(s) (eg do not use mesh viewer, have heard bad things about mesh, other)?

I'm in the neutral zone.

All the time I've been in SL, I've admired and enjoyed the creations of others, and continue to do so, but nothing created in mesh has yet made me go "oh, wow, that's much better". Maybe it's because I don't have the keen eye of an artist, or maybe it's because in my real life I never desire things that might cause me to need more money, which I don't currently have a way of acquiring.

Deltango Vale wrote:

Charlotte, could you please list a few top-quality stores for mesh clothing? I'm willing to try some mesh clothes (I hate sculpty clothes).

Yes, I'd like to second that request. I'd also like to know about good mesh hair designers.

If it's really as good as you say, I'd rather be wearing it. Yours is the first enthusiastically positive comment I've heard.

Love it so far.

Rapidly replacing a lot of my wardrobe with mesh clothes.

Likewise is starting to happen with fruniture now that I'm seeing low prim mesh furniture:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/low-prim-mesh-furniture-is-here/

Got a mesh based building on my land too - but it is a little primmy. Still I think this will also make its way into low prim territory.

ALong with mesh came convex-hull, which makes regular prims get counted as if they were mesh, and it a -great- boon for buildings. It can cut your 'PE count' in half if used right:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/meshify-your-world-from-inside-of-second-life-to-save-on-prim-cost-of-houses-and-other-objects/

- so very much enjoying that as well.

Mesh also seems to use up less system resources. So it might be a good way to cut down on 'client side lag'. It just seems like the viewers render it faster. So it -might' be a way to ease the burden on those around you as well. This needs to be looked into more though.

Ossian wrote:

Deltango Vale wrote:

Charlotte, could you please list a few top-quality stores for mesh clothing? I'm willing to try some mesh clothes (I hate sculpty clothes).

Yes, I'd like to second that request. I'd also like to know about good mesh hair designers.

If it's really as good as you say, I'd rather be wearing it. Yours is the first enthusiastically positive comment I've heard.

Here:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Zyrra/94/149/23

And wander the neighboring shops as well.

4 mesh clothing shops all around each other. One of them looks to be a men's non-mesh shop out front, but a back room has a lot of mesh for -BOTH- men and women (in two sections - one for men, the other women).

I can't speak for hair though. Don't have any such places recorded down yet.

Mesh allows for dresses that move with the body and are tight to form:

meshdress_001.jpg

- This was bought at the location I linked above.

But great for skirts as well:

meshdress_003.jpg

Which will hold up even when sitting:

couch_001.jpg

Haven't tried using it any builds yet as I'll admit I have problems constraining the LI and/or the uploader seems to have a mind of its own at times.  As has been reported elsewhere and before, you preview an upload and get one amount, wait 5 mins repeat it with the same object and get a different value, sometimes by wildly different factors.  I'm know it's the future and there is no doubt that the end effects are far superior and I'll buckle down to it at sometime, though I'm spending most of my time in InWordlz at the moment so I'm not compelled to learn it there.

As for mesh clothes they are by far superior to layers or sculpts.  I've bought quite a lot, but for men there is nowhere near the range and variety that there is out there for females at the moment and because of the alpha masks and avatar deforming issues I'm laying off buying anymore until the parametric deformer is introduced and widespread.  If I could express the difference in pics then this should explain it.

You in mesh...

Mesh_Designers.jpg

You in sculpts...

Sculpt_Designers (1).jpg

Ossian wrote:

Deltango Vale wrote:

I am not a clothes shopper at all (I wear the same outfit every day for a whole season) but I bought a lovely mesh pencil-skirted dress from Maitreya. I always found skirts and dresses in SL difficult to make fit right, except maybe Cinderella dresses or tutus.

Ossian wrote:

Deltango Vale wrote:

Sure! 

Give me some time to pop around the grid and I will put together a little notecard of some of my faves :)

Love it!

I think mesh is a huge step forward for content creators, and has done more to rekindled my own interest in creating content than any other addition to SL's creative toolset.

I think, with the exception of  mesh clothes (the benefits of which are pretty obvious to most people by now), it will take a little longer for non-creators to appreciate the significance of mesh simply because it's going to take time for enough high quality content to become available to them.

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

Who teaches how to make mesh stuff? What skills and what programs do you have to learn?

Clarissa, if you hang out in the mesh forum for a bit you can ask specific questions there and get some idea of who there makes tutorials about SL mesh -- Gaia Clary and Ashakayseyi Ra, for example, make excellent Blender tutorials.  (And I will just say I have never done anything harder in my life than learning to make mesh.)

I LOVE mesh clothes.  So much that I'm pretty much not buying anything else.  The best mesh clothing that I have found is at mon tissu.  I have high hopes for mesh hair, but have found none that I liked enough to buy yet.  All of the mesh hair that I've found so far looks like the hair of several years ago with relatively few big prims.

A good side effect of mesh is that clothing demos are available, so that I can try something on before I buy it.  I really like that.  Many times, I have bought layer and/or prim clothing only to find that it looked on me nothing like it did in the picture in the shop.

I wish the SL clothing creator community would develop a standardized size system like we have in RL.  I think it would be simple:  just agree on a few standard avatar shapes that represent the sizes.

I have no argument with anyone who thinks building outside sl using a mass of complex software and then paying to import the stuff they made is a way of being 'drawn into' SL ...my problem with mesh has always been - and its quite obvious - that while Lindens have promoted mesh it took away the onus on them to provide building software - even the lindens 'tutorial' on mesh was nothing more than a warning about copyright breaches - no advice on the software to use or how to go about making mesh based items ! It also caused a total stasis in inworld building with nothing new ( bar the introduction of 64 m prims as standard - still not big enough !) when we could be getting new methods of shaping and cutting prims, newly shaped prims etc.

Lindens should be providing the tools to build with in view of the fees they charge and they should be adding new features to those building systems to keep the art of inworld building alive and vibrant.

The introduction of mesh basically stopped any development with the inworld building system at all. And as a result in world building is becoming dull and repetitive.....

Mesh takes away the pleasure of inworld building and turns building into labouring over complex software only to then pay to import something you dont even know is going to look good once it arrives in world.

Sy Beck wrote:

Haven't tried using it any builds yet as I'll admit I have problems constraining the LI and/or the uploader seems to have a mind of its own at times.  As has been reported elsewhere and before, you preview an upload and get one amount, wait 5 mins repeat it with the same object and get a different value, sometimes by wildly different factors.  I'm know it's the future and there is no doubt that the end effects are far superior and I'll buckle down to it at sometime, though I'm spending most of my time in InWordlz at the moment so I'm not compelled to learn it there.

As for mesh clothes they are by far superior to layers or sculpts.  I've bought quite a lot, but for men there is nowhere near the range and variety that there is out there for females at the moment and because of the alpha masks and avatar deforming issues I'm laying off buying anymore until the parametric deformer is introduced and widespread.  If I could express the difference in pics then this should explain it.

You in mesh...

Mesh_Designers.jpg

You in sculpts...

Sculpt_Designers (1).jpg

*laughs*

Nice one, Sy

Most of what's on MP right now is crap. LI way too high, whole meshes practically uploaded straight from free modeling pages (the good majority of cars is straight from free mesh pages, though not all is). My bottom line: If I, as a totally sucky 3D modeler, can create an object with lower LI or better looks, it's badly made.

For nonhuman avatars, mesh is a total god-sent. Have a look at the WaterHorse mesh deer avatar. There's simply _no_ non-mesh animal avi that moves better. Not a single one. And no full mesh animal avi that does, actually.

For building, the fact that it allows texturing parts separately AND that we can determine what an object looks like at lower LOD makes it superior to sculpts for a lot of things. Not for all - but for a lot.

Example #1: Mesh text board vs. regular text board. Regular text board has 1 prim per 10 chars. Mesh has 16 chars per "prim". Mesh wins.

Example #2: Building a 1LI water bucket. Sculpt has to use a baked texture. Mesh can have different textures for different parts, even animated water if desired. Mesh wins (and is less than 1LI anyway, whereas sculpts usually aren't).

The number one biggest pile of crap about mesh is this: To create mesh we pretty much have to use external tools. They're free, sure. But they're the effin worst piles of steaming software doo on the planet. Or at least in the top ten of the worst user interfaces, ever.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.