Alts

BJayy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, Tako. I'm technically an alt, but this is my main avi. My original avi I created for work and she only logs in in that context, which is rare.

As for the question in the OP, I'm with Immy on this. "It's not the alt. It's what you do with the alt." As long as you aren't using the alt to cheat, deceive, etc., I really don't see what the issue is.

Imnotgoing Sideways wrote:

It's not the alt. It's what you do with the alt. =^-^=

What people really don't like is deception.  And that tends to be a typical function of alts... Pretending to be someone else around the people who know them.  While others treat alts as 'disposable' accounts in order to do something that's likely to get them banned in hope that they keep their main avatar.  In that light, yes, alts are a plague. (>_<)

I actually disagree with this, that using alts for deception is "the standard". 

I suspect alts are more often used simply to run around free of baggage from one's "Main" account. I know plenty of well known content creators maintain alts for building in peace, or simply going out and being social without being constantly overwhelmed with fan/business related messages coming in.

A lot of people also use alts for role-play purposes. Plenty of people created alsts frequently under the old name system where display names and account names were one thing, and you chose last names from a list. Lots of people liked using the last names to create alts with funny/clever names.Just for fun. Lots of content creators maintain a stable of alts for bots/models/etcetera.

It's just when people get burned by soemone using an alt for deceptive purposes it tends to stand out in their mind more than the thousand other uses for alts that people don't tend to think of day to day.

BJayy wrote:

I've been in SL for just over three months now after cancelling my IMVU account which was hacked. a few of my SL friends are alts and I just wanted other peoples views on this topic. it seems that most people don't like alts ............... confused.

I don't think that most people don't like alts. I believe most people actually have alts.  The only people who don't like alts are the ones that have had bad experiences with them, and that's a shame, because they can be very useful.

Like Immy says, it's what you do with them.

I have alts, which I use for test purposes over on Aditi grid, or if I just want some quiet alone time to explore without interacting with anyone, I'll come in on an alt account.  It's only like choosing not to answer the phone when it rings in real life, nothing more "deceitful" than that. I probably have a few more alts than I actually need, but I sometimes get a whim to start a new life with a new name, dress up a new doll.  Because each of my alts has a definite character, and I don't like change, it just feels easier for me to start a fresh one.  I have a male alt, a couple of child alts (how shocking!) - /me waves at squashy :matte-motes-big-grin: an alt that looks like a dragon, another that looks like a cat. 

One of my alts is a skinny black girl, and it's been shocking how I have suffered racial insults on a couple of occasions when I've been logged in as her.  Truly shocking, and out of my comfort zone, being a very white, red-haired gal in real life. 

Logging in as a child avatar has been fun and traumatic, and definitely eye opening.

I don't think I'd want to be a man full-time.

Are you any less confused now?

The thing is, you can't control how other people are going to behave; in real life people deceive others, and those are the people who are going to be most likely to use alts for nefarious purposes in Second Life. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing who these people are.  You have to trust your instincts and get to know someone as well as you can (although, again, there have been cases in real life where someone has been married to someone for many years, before finding out their marriage is a sham as their spouse turns out to have been married to someone else!). 

Thanks for all of your replys. especially the positive ones. it's interesting to see other people's views and I agree it's not the alt it's what you do with it. alts are people too and simply another side of a creators personality for some.

My 1st avatar is pretty much an extension of my RL self, just a bit thinner & younger looking. I use her for social networking, for building & selling stuff in SL, & for visiting with my RL boyfriend when we're miles away from each other in RL.  Persephone basically is me in SL.

Lunch @ Le Mont Saint-Michel, Mont Saint Michel  2.png Persephone & Jessica, Belleville.png

I created my 1st alt, Tasha, when I wanted to play in SL without being bothered by my friends or judged by my boyfriend for being in SL too much. Since I named her after a pet wolf-dog I had in RL, I decided to give her a wolf avatar. I haven't used her much. Currently I see her as a shape-shifter, but aside from her being antisocial & not liking humans much, she hasn't developed much of her own personality or interests.

Tasha Ezarael - human_001.png Tasha Ezarael - wolf_001.png

My 2nd alt, Alycia, is a different story. I created her initially to be a character in a Halloween haunted house in SL. I wrote up a backstory for her in which her first boyfriend died tragically & her second boyfriend turned out to be a psychopath she had to kill to escape. After I took down the haunted house, I decided to keep her as a my emo, psycho, goth girl alt who thinks SL is real & doesn't understand the world outside of SL. I see her now as a sort of alter ego representing my emotionally messed-up side. Because she's a character, she can say & do things I wouldn't do in real life. As Persephone, I have to be polite, diplomatic & seemingly sane. But as Alycia, I can be odd, morose & casually mention killing people now & then.

Alycia planning how to get rid of the body 2.png Alycia in causual goth outfit.jpg

None of my alts were created to deceive anyone (except for a week when I didn't tell my boyfriend about Tasha).  When I play in SL as them, however, I play them in character. They both talk about Persephone & what she told them, rather than just saying what I did or think. Having a bit of a backstory for them gives me a way to imagine how each of them would think & speak, which is different than how I would. So, even though I'd told my boyfriend that Tasha was my alt, the first time he met her in-world he wasn't sure if she was me or another person. For a long time after meeting Alycia, she freaked him out a bit too, because she's so convincingly just on the edge of being psychotic.

My alts give me a way to play in SL without having to be my normal self & without being bothered by people I know. I also like that they each have their own styles & interests. Alycia prefers wearing gothic clothes, so I collect free goth outfits for her. She does 7Seas fishing & gives Persephone some of the outfits she fishes up. Because each avatar has her own style(s), I can select fewer outfits & items for each of them.  As Persephone, I have over 22,000 inventory items, which is a big headache. But Tasha & Alycia each have only around 5000 items, which is much easier to manage.

I think it is a insult, to think alt' as alts. This is a game for us to explore sides of ourselves and express thigns we cannot in r/l.  I have an alt that enjoys bdsm like activity's. I also have a buisness that is mostly jewelry, but dabbles here adn their in making adaptations for roleplay collar's and fancy earings. Now does any of this perclude me from being something? No.... I have a public am a tough guy businessman , then I have the roleplayer that does naughty things. 

THENN>>>>>>>>>Roleplay happend...like clean semi mature rp lol, not the  gang bang alley ewww stuff.   I have come to a point in s/l, that am proud of being lazy for three years not doing much, and suddenly I run advertising for a roleplay magazine, public relashons and contacts at time's, ontop of my just starting out jewelry, all while doing college. Am glad, I can do all this in a realm that does not limit myself to one identity. I think alt's allow us to mentally train in real life, for when we need to switch masks or attutides among our varoius social settings.

alts should not be

allowed!

They are the

spawn of Satan and wreak

havoc wherever they go!

But you are

wrong Keli because LL can not cope with

proxies, scrubbers and

anonymisers as their inability to bar

Wasted for such a long time demonstrated, as they have to rely on personal

unjustified paranoid opinion and unscientific

analysis of style which can lead to

litigation if they get it wrong or victimisation of poor old Void SInger when they

try to use stupid

string matching.

RudolphUkka wrote:

alts should not be

allowed!

They are the

spawn of Satan and wreak

havoc wherever they go!

But you are

wrong Keli because LL can not cope with

proxies, scrubbers and

anonymisers as their inability to bar

Wasted for such a long time demonstrated, as they have to rely on personal

unjustified paranoid opinion and unscientific

analysis of style which can lead to

litigation if they get it wrong or victimisation of poor old Void SInger when they

try to use stupid

string matching.

This is sooo hipster...

I have half a dozen alts and all they do is steal my L$ to buy clothes and hair and stuff. I'm not secretive about my alts and my friends know who they are. The reason alts are disliked by some is that people use them for deception, like spying on bf/gf etc.

Actually come to think of it, one of my alts is older than me. That makes ME an alt... :matte-motes-agape:

I have a single alt, with no personality and a name that just screams, "I am an alt, ignore me".

It's hard to focus your camera on a single spot and then say, drive by it without being able to see where you're going when you're off-camera. So instead I open a second viewer and log in with my alt, that way I have an independent camera to record video with.

I have no deceptive intentions with my alt, it's just to aid me in situations where a second avatar would be useful or necessary.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.