Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BJayy

Alts

Recommended Posts

I am extremely confident that NO ONE will ever find out about my alts. Even though we all have the same last name and first initial. Amazing coincidence :o? well.. yes of course! Its a big Wirtual Vorld out there you know :D Also 1 or 2 varying increments on the shape sliders, different hairstyles and eye colours and *giggles I'm guaranteed to never be found out! *cackles insanely with a bit of echo...

I keep telling them "get out there and scam anyone and everyone" *whip crack sound Linden money, pixelling, heartbreak & ruin, *wrings hands together gleefully.. but all they want to do is model my clothes :( It's so dissapointing. I could be a gazlindenaire by now *sobs but they just don't listen! :matte-motes-crying: I don't know what to do about it now ;-/

Anyways.. here's a top secret pic of us... 

*names have been shortened to ensure I keep getting away with erm... modelling :) for my own company..

Sissies.jpg

You didn't see that ok spoiler.gif ^~ good good...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, if correctly used, it is ok. but the longer you are in sl, the more you will realize that many alts are just used to increase the number of memebers on a sim, to allow the resp person to abuse this for his/her egoism... and moreover, normally it is too difficult for these persons to keep information one alt had got only for this alt... they mix it and so their alts can easily be detected...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhm yes now that you mention it and I only worked that out after I submitted the name but its the initials of my real name....... oh well. lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were to log into World of Warcraft and be told I could only have one character and that to have more than one would be somehow deceitful - I'd consider those telling me this crazy.

If I were an actor and told I could only play one role, and never have another part - I'd consider that crazy.

If I were told the way I was when I was 20 is who I have to be like for the rest of my life... absurd.

So why would anyone think I should restrain my imagination just because its Second Life?

I just don't get these people who have issues with alts. They seem to have really limited minds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I just don't get these people who have issues with alts. They seem to have really limited minds."

 

I agree. Second Life is supposed to be a place where you can be anything & do pretty much anything you can imagine. So why do we still have people acting like we're weird for wanting to play a non-human, a different gender or race, or multiple characters? It's just as bad, IMO, when people don't understand why someone would want to look less than "perfect" or look like their real self.

People in SL are free to express their creativity & individuality in any way they wish (with only a few limitations). This is the best part of SL. If we just wanted any virtual world, we could play The Sims. Here we can create our avatar & our world, while also interacting with other people who are doing the same thing. Often being just one kind of character isn't enough. Creating alts gives us more versatility.

 

(Edit to correct spelling typo.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

If I were to log into World of Warcraft and be told I could only have one character and that to have more than one would be somehow deceitful - I'd consider those telling me this crazy.

If I were an actor and told I could only play one role, and never have another part - I'd consider that crazy.

If I were told the way I was when I was 20 is who I have to be like for the rest of my life... absurd.

So why would anyone think I should restrain my imagination just because its Second Life?

I just don't get these people who have issues with alts. They seem to have really limited minds.

 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     I come from a world of text-games and MUDs, same idea, just you need to know how to read fast to play. Alts have a lot of valid uses, staff don't use the same char as the ones they go have fun with, or  shouldn't, rather. differant RP themes might also warrent it, if you rp enough to justify having a char JUST for that. they can also be good for the market, assuming your buying stuff for all of them... I keep myself to a four account limit, really. which is a personal preferance.

     Honestly, I don't like taking things from folks, I know it costs real money to put it there. There's so much free or nearly free stuff out there you don't have an excuse using a premium player as a springboard for one char, let alone all of them. If you don't use it to spy on folks, and you don't use it to break the game, as it where, then it's alright... sadly, most folks don't really adhere to that, which hurts the folks that are trying to be honest about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no bad alts..

Only bad users..

 

Alts don't irritate people..

People irritate people..

 

An alt is an alt is an alt..and then there is their user

 

save a tree eat an be......whooops wrong fourm!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Melita. Almost always it's simply none of our business. However, there are individuals out there who, for whatever reason, decide to interject themself into your life and in a very negative way feeding on your responses or lack thereof. Even taking delight in being banned so that every day they they can create a new alt to log in and make your life a living hell. I really hope that never happens to you. It's no fun I can tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just banned five alt's from my club, because they were taking advantage of the contest board. All these alt's had at least  18 of the same groups.  I work hard for my money and don't mind  putting some of it in SL, but not cheaters which is unfair to my genuine members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Sarah36 Islay wrote:

I just banned five alt's from my club, because they were taking advantage of the contest board. All these alt's had at least  18 of the same groups.  I work hard for my money and don't mind  putting some of it in SL, but not cheaters which is unfair to my genuine members.

those could have been bots as well from the sound of it..they don't mind being obvious..

they flock to stuff like that..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would make sense to run a botsystem for this. But even if they aren't bots, the user behind them probably just moves them in the right spot and leaves them unattended until he has to do the voting. However, the money wents to a cheater.

I'm going to clubs and contests since day 2 of my existance in SL (I spended day one on freebie shopping) and I have come across various things centered around the topic "cheating on contests".

1.) The timed friendship: This one is a classic thing. You get in a conversation with a random stranger exchange a few nice sentences and then get them to exchange votes with you. Doesn't really hurt, the outcome is the same, if its played fair on both sides.

2.) The "wanted" cheat: I've always wondered about hosts encouraging guests to TP their friends in for more fun at the party. Sure, nice thing for the club to get more guests...but at a contest? Having a group of loyal friends is enough to get a good start at a contest. In the end it wins who has the most friends.

3.) The "me and my army of alts": Thats the ugliest side of the coin. One person and many alts. I don't think I need to explain this one. But for your amusement, heres a tiny story: I had joined a superhero-costume-contest and won. Just moments after that, I got an angry IM from some woman wearing a freebie costume. She told me I must have been cheating, there wouldn't be another reason for why I had won and not her. Bad for her, I was safe because I was a long-time guest and worked for the owner in the past.

After reading all this about bots, I suspect she had used more than one avatar to join the contest and got mad, that the true votes still outnumbered hers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:

Would make sense to run a botsystem for this. But even if they aren't bots, the user behind them probably just moves them in the right spot and leaves them unattended until he has to do the voting. However, the money wents to a cheater.

I'm going to clubs and contests since day 2 of my existance in SL (I spended day one on freebie shopping) and I have come across various things centered around the topic "cheating on contests".

1.) The timed friendship: This one is a classic thing. You get in a conversation with a random stranger exchange a few nice sentences and then get them to exchange votes with you. Doesn't really hurt, the outcome is the same, if its played fair on both sides.

2.) The "wanted" cheat: I've always wondered about hosts encouraging guests to TP their friends in for more fun at the party. Sure, nice thing for the club to get more guests...but at a contest? Having a group of loyal friends is enough to get a good start at a contest. In the end it wins who has the most friends.

3.) The "me and my army of alts": Thats the ugliest side of the coin. One person and many alts. I don't think I need to explain this one. But for your amusement, heres a tiny story: I had joined a superhero-costume-contest and won. Just moments after that, I got an angry IM from some woman wearing a freebie costume. She told me I must have been cheating, there wouldn't be another reason for why I had won and not her. Bad for her, I was safe because I was a long-time guest and worked for the owner in the past.

After reading all this about bots, I suspect she had used more than one avatar to join the contest and got mad, that the true votes still outnumbered hers.

we used to have lots try and cheat when i used to work for GOL..this was the first 5 versions of it..not the last 3 hehehe

we started just using IM's for votes..boards were just way to easy to game.. 

 

the profiles kind of made them sound like bots..sort of like the sploader bots that had all the same groups..if you dropped a sploader down..they would show up within 2 minutes like clock work hehehehe

 

we used to drop one..then pick it back up once they got there..then drop it again and kept doing it just to goof around..

it was like..rezz tp rezz tp rezz tp lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like holding a snack in front of a dogs nose and then lift it up the moment the dog jumps to catch it :catvery-happy:

 

Hmm...I think I never went to GOL....but the name rings a bell. Guess they had a "human only" rule, so I never stayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:

Sounds like holding a snack in front of a dogs nose and then lift it up the moment the dog jumps to catch it :catvery-happy:

 

Hmm...I think I never went to GOL....but the name rings a bell. Guess they had a "human only" rule, so I never stayed.

i don't know about now..but they didn't when i was there..

that was a few years ago..

we had neko dancers and one girl would get on stage with her alien avatar..

heck i used to dance with armor on sometimes..

also i used to have this really neat storm outfit..

 

it really all depends on who is head managar at the time..

when i was head manager there..as long as people were having fun..that was all that mattered..

 

it's changed so much since i stopped working there..it used to be a blast there..

but was pretty boring the last few times i've checked it out..which may have been a year now or more..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These alts had idle above their name tabs showing how long they have stood there. I belive this can only show if that alt is using Phoenix viewer.  They all come alive when voting began and when winners were declared they vanished without a goodbye.  One of them got 4 votes and some 3 or 2.  I have ejected and baned them, but no doubt others will follow suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya it's a constant fight to have a fair event..

 

besides having votes taken in by IM's by either the dj or the hostess..

we also had it that only people in the event could vote..

 

but as i said before..it has been a few years since i've had to worry about making events fair..

so i'm a bit out of practice..and more than likely they have found work arounds to about anything..

cheaters always find a way..

and that's sad that you can't just have a nice fun event without greedy jerks trying to scam everything  fun..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...