So PBR.. Just trying to get some straight answers please..

I want to understand the basics. Does the new addition of PBR of mean that anything made before this with old texturing ways will not be seen correctly.. 
I'm talking like jewelry textures, colors on houses.. walls, floors, furniture.. ?? (anything made before gltf/PBR)

As a jewelry designer I would like to know if every piece of jewelry I made over the past 20 years is now going to look like nothing.. untextured or white chains and gems??

Like remember when SL first started if you couldn't see a texture it was white with BIG letters saying MISSING TEXTURE even on our clothing.

I also hear a lot of how much harder this will be on graphics and computers.

Will there be an option to turn off that lighting for people who can not handle the new way so the can run on regular and still be able to be in SL??? 

If not SL will surely lose a lot of people. :( I don't know why they would cut their own throat.

1 hour ago, rainbow Fairymeadow said:

Does the new addition of PBR of mean that anything made before this with old texturing ways will not be seen correctly.. 
I'm talking like jewelry textures, colors on houses.. walls, floors, furniture.. ?? (anything made before gltf/PBR)

All these things will continue to work, they might look a little different as they benefit from lighting upgrades.

As a jewelry designer I would like to know if every piece of jewelry I made over the past 20 years is now going to look like nothing.. untextured or white chains and gems??

It will look more or less however it did with the exception that if it was shiny, it will reflect the local environment (as seen by nearby reflection probes) rather than the placeholder we had before.

Like remember when SL first started if you couldn't see a texture it was white with BIG letters saying MISSING TEXTURE even on our clothing.

This isn't going to be a thing, don't worry.

I also hear a lot of how much harder this will be on graphics and computers.

This does use more of your computers graphics capabilities, capabilities you had the whole time .. but weren't using.

This all is somewhat harder on older computers ..

Will there be an option to turn off that lighting for people who can not handle the new way so the can run on regular and still be able to be in SL??? 

Nope!

Linden do not want a situation like we had with ALM where some refused to ever turn it on.

PBR is the new base standard, for everyone. This is a good thing.

If not SL will surely lose a lot of people. :( I don't know why they would cut their own throat.

No SL wont .. but the push back might be pretty harsh from some.

Personally, i hated it when I first saw it. It's taken some time and effort to learn how to really use and i'm sure that will continue going forward.

No one loudly protesting will leave SL over this.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Vivienne Schell said:

You cheerleaders sound exactly like the ones who are in denial of the climate change. Hilarious.

This is the new normal. I can't say I'm super thrilled about the Lab's complete disregard for SL's evolved art style. But here we are. There are upsides, there are new toys, and this is much needed platform advancement and investment. PBR can look so much better than what we're used to. It's going to take some time before we have gotten to grips with it all.

PBR is a Mesh moment for SL, and yeah, maybe that 10 year old computer or business laptop is going to need an upgrade.

We can take it one of two ways.

• Suck it up, try and make it work, learn some new skills if needed.
  • Get all bitter and whine.

• Like 14

The viewer still supports legacy shiny and bumpiness, which was the system before Blinn-Phong (as well as still supporting Blinn-Phong). Worth noting though that invisiprims are now very dead. They weren't a good idea before, as they didn't work under the advanced lighting model. But some people disabled that, so they'd still see them working. That's over now.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2024 at 9:29 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Nope!

Linden do not want a situation like we had with ALM where some refused to ever turn it on.

PBR is the new base standard, for everyone. This is a good thing.

I turned my ALM off at one point so I don't have to see everyone's face lights that shine so wide they affect other people

lol so things wouldn't be so bright

Edited by rainbow Fairymeadow
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 11:14 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

This is the new normal. I can't say I'm super thrilled about the Lab's complete disregard for SL's evolved art style. But here we are. There are upsides, there are new toys, and this is much needed platform advancement and investment. PBR can look so much better than what we're used to. It's going to take some time before we have gotten to grips with it all.

PBR is a Mesh moment for SL, and yeah, maybe that 10 year old computer or business laptop is going to need an upgrade.

We can take it one of two ways.

• Suck it up, try and make it work, learn some new skills if needed.
  • Get all bitter and whine.

Or we could be a bit helpful and encouraging with our words instead of suck it up or leave......

• Like 3

On 6/25/2024 at 12:53 AM, Polenth Yue said:

The viewer still supports legacy shiny and bumpiness, which was the system before Blinn-Phong (as well as still supporting Blinn-Phong). Worth noting though that invisiprims are now very dead. They weren't a good idea before, as they didn't work under the advanced lighting model. But some people disabled that, so they'd still see them working. That's over now.

what is this about invisible prims.. Are you talking about like, the prim I add to an item I make to show me as the creator, will now not be invisible anymore?

15 minutes ago, rainbow Fairymeadow said:

what is this about invisible prims.. Are you talking about like, the prim I add to an item I make to show me as the creator, will now not be invisible anymore?

Invisiprims were a sort of "cheat" that creators used pre-mesh to hide parts of the system avatar (for instance, the feet for wearing sculptie shoes). They've been used in boats and submarines to hide the Linden water that would otherwise be seen inside the vessel.

They don't work with deferred rendering, so they won't work now on any PBR viewer (or any viewer with ALM enabled). That means that boats in the water all show water at their bottoms.

They were a special sort of prim that could hide other textures. People used them for things like removing the water layer in boats and some wearables (before body alphas existed). They're not the same as a prim that has been set to 100% transparency or that has a normal alpha texture on it. I would assume your creator prim is a regular transparent object, not an invisiprim.

I noted that one because it's the exception to the backwards compatibility rule. Most old content does still work and most old systems are still supported.

On 6/25/2024 at 3:03 AM, rainbow Fairymeadow said:

As a jewelry designer, for over 7 months, you've had a chance to find out using the official SL viewer.

(But the anser is no.)

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

10 hours ago, rainbow Fairymeadow said:

I turned my ALM off at one point so I don't have to see everyone's face lights that shine so wide they affect other people

unless you specifically turned off showing attached lights or have the last non PBR Firestorm which doesn't seem to show any lighting with ALM off. Having ALM off still showed facelights however bright they are 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 4:13 PM, rainbow Fairymeadow said:

It was a LSL scripted item used to make some parts of the avatar invisible, mostly used in shoe ware. But apparently boats to.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Invisiprim