Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 84 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Yeah, yeah, the cheerleader answer on everything. "get a replacement for your potato machine". How intuitive. Most people in SL run on a certain budget, they usually spend money on land, assets, cothes, whatever. Many pay for sims. Do you really expect these people to pay MORE for a trashy piece of software which not only stresses out any other PC or laptop  by it´s proven power hunger but also breaks existing content while not rendering faster or better but slower and worse?`Do you?

You and your cheerleader companions miss the point. People in SL do not pay for high end visuals, but for the social aspects of a virtual world. And many wil not follow the Linden path. There are valuable alternatives out there which do not require a smoking GPU.

If you don't service your car and do not replace parts that need to be replaced ... one day when you are on the road, you'll be standing beside it screaming for help.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Omegaslayer said:

then be nicer, we're humans on the other side of these pixels and some of us have to make do, we know we could probably do with a better computer but we simply can't afford it.

Yes, as you have stated 500 times. We get it. We.get.it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Omegaslayer said:

so you are a human being 😛, but yeah it's not a solution for most, as much as some of us would love a new computer it's not possible, sometimes rl circumstances means we have to make do. I feel in second life it's too easy for people to forget theres a human on the other side of our avi's, and some of us are really struggling irl.

Why does everyone keep saying "new computer" like that's the only option?

This is some hardcore victim status going on.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

You and your cheerleader companions miss the point. People in SL do not pay for high end visuals, but for the social aspects of a virtual world. And many wil not follow the Linden path. There are valuable alternatives out there which do not require a smoking GPU.

Name one that runs well without a thousand dollar bit of hand jewellery or some variety of facebook goggles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paula MacKay said:

I just feel that again a lot of people will choose to leave.  That means  less money to Linden Labs for memberships, lindens.  And Less items bought from vendors.  It is my hope that something works out so people do not have to choose to leave to protect their PC's.  

Eventually they were gonna die anyway. Either update the platform, leave them behind for new customers, or die with 'em. What would you choose?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

What pray tell are these valuable alternatives to SL? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toothless Draegonne said:

Name one that runs well without a thousand dollar bit of hand jewellery or some variety of facebook goggles.

You can build a reasonable mid range computer that is good for SL for about 500/600 dollars that last a while.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

You can build a reasonable mid range computer that is good for SL for about 500/600 dollars that last a while.

Yes I know. Now try telling the people who think that PBR viewers require a 7800x3d and a 4090 to run at bare minimum.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

If you don't service your car and do not replace parts that need to be replaced ... one day when you are on the road, you'll be standing beside it screaming for help.

That metaphor has been used, but it is not really accurate here. The car has stayed the same, but the surface of the road has changed overnight, negatively impacting how the car drives. Car maintenance does not replace the fundamental parts of the car with upgrade parts usually. 

1 hour ago, Irina Forwzy said:

While true,  how do you apply an environment setting toward a parcel or sim that is liked by both the person that doesn't have PBR and the person with PBR?  I know it can be done, I've tested it in my own area (at least to my specs in PBR), but there's always a risk that someone will find it jarring because within their adaptation they have issues with it.

Assuming you leave the regular windlights and EEPs and opt into the Battlescars and Specter ones.

You lost me Battlescars and Spectre.

If it is possible to make an EEP that works well for PBR and ALM, then Linden Lab should use it on Mainland. Until they do the PBR viewer will be second best for most users that are out and about doing stuff and not sat in front of a camera posing for photos.

3 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

That metaphor has been used, but it is not really accurate here. The car has stayed the same, but the surface of the road has changed overnight, negatively impacting how the car drives. Car maintenance does not replace the fundamental parts of the car with upgrade parts usually. 

It still applies though- because (at least in this case) if you'd stayed on top of the service and maintenance, the new road surface wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

It still applies though- because (at least in this case) if you'd stayed on top of the service and maintenance, the new road surface wouldn't be a big deal at all.

It absolutely does not apply. Service and maintenance of a car does not involve upgrading it. 

6 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Our car was serviced regularly and as such did not need updated.  It was older but very reliable.  And that is way different item.

I have an Asus ROG Strix GL502VS and I can't remember the year I bought it. It was not 2016, maybe it was 2019, 2020?

It was second hand, it was 18 months when I bought it and I was very lucky with the price. I think I paid 500 US. It had not a single mark from use, so I trusted it wasn't used much. But I have used it daily.

It still works nice. When I set SL graphics to recommended, it is set to "High" with sun/moon and antialiasing on.

When this one eventually dies, I am going to look for second hand again.

• Like 1

Just now, Cristiano Midnight said:

It absolutely does not apply. Service and maintenance of a car does not involve upgrading it. 

A) It often does.

B) All of us with modern "cars" have zero trouble with these new "roads", because we were staying on top of maintenance and service, including replacing aging parts.

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

A) It often does.

B) All of us with modern "cars" have zero trouble with these new "roads", because we were staying on top of maintenance and service, including replacing aging parts.

I disagree.    Even brand new cars are harmed by road conditions. Can throw things out of alignment.  If road has a lot of cracked and missing area can be really rough on suspension, tires, steering. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Posted my specs yesterday and here is today at a busy club...40 fps

Screenshot(18)-crop.thumb.png.54bf83699faff52d31e29249e57aa17e.png

Just to clarify: 40 fps is "just fine" performance-wise for you, correct?  (You're not a "fps snob" as far as I know.)

I checked at "home" yesterday and was surprised to have 100 fps, will have to check at a busy club also for comparison.

• Like 1

Would anyone else kill for a reliable breakdown of what OS SL users use? I'm not saying anyone in these forums falls under this camp - but you know there has to be a percentage of XP/Vista!

• Like 2

Just now, Paula MacKay said:

I disagree.    Even brand new cars are harmed by road conditions. Can throw things out of alignment.  If road has a lot of cracked and missing area can be really rough on suspension, tires, steering. 

Now you're going way too far down that rabbit hole, although even then most municipalities wave away any liability and it's on us to repair and replace parts.

The point is computers are like anything else we use. Parts get old and need to be cleaned, repaired, and replaced with newer parts.

You can extend the life of it- almost indefinitely- by staying on top of that maintenance, which is actually pretty inexpensive comparitively. If you're in a situation where you can't use SL anymore without buying a whole new computer, it's entirely your own fault.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

You lost me Battlescars and Spectre.

If it is possible to make an EEP that works well for PBR and ALM, then Linden Lab should use it on Mainland. Until they do the PBR viewer will be second best for most users that are out and about doing stuff and not sat in front of a camera posing for photos.

I don't go to mainland that often, or really pay attention to whether I'm there or not if in a store. I just took this picture at a mainland sim. What's so awful about the EEP here? Looks fine to me. :|

mainland.png

• Like 2

Okay, figured I'd test out the new Firestorm PBR viewer since I was slacking and needed to jump to 6.6.17 anyway, so here's a quick and dirty overview of how it's currently going for me.

For starters, I'm on a $999 Skytech system I bought pre-built during Black Friday in 2020. Relevant specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 8G (PNY Uprising)
PSU: Brand new Corsair RM850x 850W (originally came with an InWin PB-750W that DIED ON ME just recently!!!)
RAM: 16GB

I logged in to Trompe since my home region was doing the restart thang. Here's how things looked when I logged in:

image.thumb.png.240c9f79122e9e0846c81b3169f580d1.png

EEP: CalWL, because of course it is. It's BRIGHT, but I can mess around with that later...

Here are my graphics preferences. The ONLY two settings I toggled off - Shadows and Mirrors. Everything else is 100% default and how it was upon login. I changed nothing else in this or any other tab (yet).

image.png.4b3ad64122505d359e82f7a78b680de4.png

Here's my FPS at Trompe (it bounces between 60-80):

image.png.7e891a58d3d2295a8e45ba1f8f850f05.png

Teleported back home to my platform in the sky. Here's my FPS at home (it bounces around from 100-200ish):

image.png.7566fc302c68bf781be7b4b0ec3f0dc5.png

And from HWInfo, here are my GPU temps while at home (with very similar results at Trompe). Blue = Current. Next are Min, Max, and Average.

image.png.16216587ceeea0accf7aa6c892275205.png

I need to test avatar-busy locations, of course, and actually find some PBR-enabled stuff, but these are my results while running around in empty but heavily-decorated regions.

SO far, I'm not seeing a need for me to revert. YET!!!! I'll keep you posted if I find a reason. 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

A) It often does.

Comparing what people are experiencing now to not keeping up with car maintenance is a completely flawed argument. I say this as someone with an i9 and a 4090 card that has been enjoying pbr for months. Yes, if they had better computers, the change would not have impacted them as much, but it is not for lack of maintenance. That is just not the case.

4 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

Would anyone else kill for a reliable breakdown of what OS SL users use? I'm not saying anyone in these forums falls under this camp - but you know there has to be a percentage of XP/Vista!

I'd like to see this. Also, not all of use use Windows or Mac OS. Some of us use Linux as I do, or even one of the free, open source BSD's to a smaller extent.

(The Megapahit project has a viewer that runs on FreeBSD.)

Edited by JeromFranzic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 84 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.