Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

4 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

SL isn't your personal life. All you have to do is shut the browser down and they are out of your face, out of your personal life. It is YOUR choice to utilize the platform for your entertainment. NOT A RIGHT.

That's not really the point though, is it.

The clue is in the name and the marketting. Second Life is a platform that has, since it's inception build its customer base by offering virtual living and virtual privacy.

You're right. None of us are entitled to any of those things. It's LL's platform and they are free to decide that tommorow, the game is called James and you will be listened to by James for as long as you partake in it.

But I don't really get the sense you are approaching this thread with such pragmatism. You've yet to show that you understand what the Second Life product is and why it's customers play it. Is this intentional? Because that would seem to not be in the spirit of the discussion, but simply with the intent to rage bait.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Life is to short to spend it in a state of perpetual anxiety, when the time comes vote in your local communities and countries, secure your privacy, do whatever it takes.. and if you are of the mind that no matter what you do, nothing will change, then there is little reason to torture yourself over it all.  Take a breath, have a hotdog, and enjoy the moment.

Snapshot_306.thumb.jpg.6dffb82a15af3f3d54e9f10751900d3b.jpg

Worse case scenario at the moment, there is no mustard.  Enjoy 'yer hotdog 🥰

Can't get sauerkraut with my Costco smokie anymore 😞

• Sad 2

I can't wait till all the people at the meeting that said babies/toddler look stupid with a bra as a modesty layer, because it looks sexual and want it removed, find out that re-evaluating it means they will make it be a tank top or onesie and not removed like they hoped for.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Extrude Ragu said:

That's not really the point though, is it.

The clue is in the name and the marketting. Second Life is a platform that has, since it's inception build its customer base by offering virtual living and virtual privacy.

You're right. None of us are entitled to any of those things. It's LL's platform and they are free to decide that tommorow, the game is called James and you will be listened to by James for as long as you partake in it.

But I don't really get the sense you are approaching this thread with such pragmatism. You've yet to show that you understand what the Second Life product is and why it's customers play it. Is this intentional? Because that would seem to not be in the spirit of the discussion, but simply with the intent to rage bait.

They offer virtual living NOT your personal virtual privacy.  I am not understanding what you are not getting about it. 

The Second Life product is being used by me the same way it's used by you.  Are you seriously telling me I'm not using SL the way it's meant to be used? Why you play SL is not the same as me so yes it's intentional.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Psyche Starling said:

That makes a lot of sense. I'd seen a lot of bovines and foxes and dragons around who were wearing stuff I knew was in human sizes, and wasn't sure if they were using furry heads on human bodies or just, like, a lot of alphas.

Mhmm. The way I break it down in my mind is ...

There are furries just in the standard human bodies with animalistic kinds of fur/skin BoM skins, and even with the special feet and hands they can add, are still merely human and can generally wear human clothes from any brand.

Next I find there are anthro types that use avatars from Jomo, TWI, etc that are more "feral"(? someone in the community correct me if that's the wrong term) where they are clearly animals with realistic fur, scales etc and not needing clothes at all unless they have visible sexual or sexually-associated body parts.

Then there are the pure animals. They do not have genitalia. My cat and deer avatars from TWI fall into that category, as would anything that RezzRoom made if they were actually avatars (and not just animated props), and I can't see anyone suggesting that my buck or doe would need any sort of covering, even if the doe was a smaller one.

Note: Would love to see RezzRoom move into the avatar business. Oh yes.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Suspected by whom, and on what basis other than that "It's the sort of thing I expect them to do"?

You really don't know that is how they catch a majorly of the age players do you?

1 minute ago, Madi Melodious said:

You really don't know that is how they catch a majorly of the age players do you?

So you mean...GASP!....there already isn't virtual privacy on Second Life after all?  Has anyone let the marketing department know about this!

3 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

So you mean...GASP!....there already isn't virtual privacy on Second Life after all?  Has anyone let the marketing department know about this!

They likely just got the memo hence the ToS change.

48 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I used to run my locally hosted Opensim grid on my home connection which back then was 1MB down and 600KB up. It was good enough for myself and 2 or 3 friends. Though I haven't checked how much it requires now, it is probably not a whole lot more with all the mesh.

I see, maybe it would work better than I thought then. OpenSim also has built-in resilience to legal action of any sort, since assets can just be carried from one grid to another without any effort.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

I'd assumed they pull the logs for the appropriate times and examine them as part of the investigation after receiving an Abuse Report.    Or possibly they scan them for longer after receiving a report, to try to gain a picture of the avatar's behavior over time.  But I didn't think they scan them on spec. 

How do you say it works? 

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BriannaLovey said:

I see, maybe it would work better than I thought then. OpenSim also has built-in resilience to legal action of any sort, since assets can just be carried from one grid to another without any effort.

Sure, not much issue running even on a home connection these days. Easy to setup and have access to the hypergrid.

33 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Life is to short to spend it in a state of perpetual anxiety, when the time comes vote in your local communities and countries, secure your privacy, do whatever it takes.. and if you are of the mind that no matter what you do, nothing will change, then there is little reason to torture yourself over it all.  Take a breath, have a hotdog, and enjoy the moment.

Snapshot_306.thumb.jpg.6dffb82a15af3f3d54e9f10751900d3b.jpg

Worse case scenario at the moment, there is no mustard.  Enjoy 'yer hotdog 🥰

Paraphrased, "Eat a wiener!"

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I can't wait till all the people at the meeting that said babies/toddler look stupid with a bra as a modesty layer, because it looks sexual and want it removed, find out that re-evaluating it means they will make it be a tank top or onesie and not removed like they hoped for.

In my own personal opinion (take it with a grain of salt since I'm not a family RPer or anything), I do think that'd actually be better.

A perma-onesie or tank top seems totally fine to me.

• Like 3

Just now, Innula Zenovka said:

I'd assumed they pull the logs for the appropriate times and examine them as part of the investigation after receiving an Abuse Report.    How do you say it works? 

I'm sure they do but scanning the logs for certain keywords is very simple.    Really you don't believe they do this?   I've heard to many stories on opensim to not believe it. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

SL isn't your personal life.

I had to come back and re-visit this. Second life is very much apart of my personal life. Has been for 17 years and 8 months. It allows me to be my real self while in the real world it's incredibly dangerous and sometimes even can be fatal to be a person like me.

I am closeted transgender in real life and may never *ever* be able to be my real self. In second life I can at least obtain a small piece of feeling what it's like to be free.

For you second life is a "Quirky little game" For others it's an escape from an incredibly harsh reality. Eroding the "Reasonable Expectation of Privacy" that most people have in regards to the virtual world/internet and their virtual identity is not only a good way to lose customers, but also sets a dangerous precedent.

I don't expect sympathy, in fact I expect you'll laugh react to this because you seem to get a kick out of being sadistic to people. Just telling it how it is.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

What LL means when they say "private regions" or "privacy" is private away from other residents and for you to be able to make the rules in your private area/home.

It DOES NOT mean do whatever the heck you want even if it's illegal.  If you read the TOS you'd know this.

That's exactly what it means.  Privacy from.other residents not from LL.  They cover your right to privacy FROM them in their Privacy policy.  That's referring to personal RL information.  Not sure why anyone would think LL hasn't had access to your IMs and any pictures in your inventory which I could assume would be things used to prove an AR.  I've thought that as long as I've been here.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

What LL means when they say "private regions" or "privacy" is private away from other residents and for you to be able to make the rules in your private area/home.

It DOES NOT mean do whatever the heck you want even if it's illegal.  If you read the TOS you'd know this.

That's exactly what it means.  Privacy from.other residents not from LL.  They cover your right to privacy FROM them in their Privacy policy.  That's referring to personal RL information.  Not sure why anyone would think LL hasn't had access to your IMs and any pictures in your inventory which I could assume would be things used to prove an AR.  I've thought that as long as I've been here.

I'm reminded of the graphic novel / TV series "Preacher", in which ever prayer is recorded and can be used against you later. 

On the plus side, the ability to find "bad stuff" in chat logs is for our protection. 

I can't imagine how dull it would be if mods actually had to read and sift through our chat logs on a daily basis.

On the other hand, you can read in the internet about how people hired to do moderation for some companies are traumatized by what they have to review.

• Like 1

At this rate LL are going to find out why end-to-end encryption of user communication matters to corporations the hard way.

It's also notable that this is a key reason why the quest for businesses to hold meetings in SL can't ever succeed. It's plain text all the way down.

You can bet LL wouldn't use a messaging service for their own communication that wasn't secure from the operator of that service.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm reminded of the graphic novel / TV series "Preacher", in which ever prayer is recorded and can be used against you later. 

On the plus side, the ability to find "bad stuff" in chat logs is for our protection. 

I can't imagine how dull it would be if mods actually had to read and sift through our chat logs on a daily basis.

On the other hand, you can read in the internet about how people hired to do moderation for some companies are traumatized by what they have to review.

Yeah, not sure why everyone seems so surprised that LL has access to your IMs.  I assumed everyone knew that.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 6