Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:
7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The cleavage makes you look a little older (if I recall the other pic). Less..."perky"?

No cleavage whatsoever in the other thread.

Makes sense.

• Like 1

No cleavage whatsoever in the other thread.

Okay so it's about how visible the boobs are! Got it! *runs*

I jest, I jest! Joking aside, I do find that interesting though. It kind of underlines the need for a holistic perspective, the difficulty in making clear calls and countering the narrative that it's all about the height or big round faces with anime inspired eyes. Thank you again.

• Like 4

Just now, ValKalAstra said:

Okay so it's about how visible the boobs are! Got it! *runs*

I jest, I jest! Joking aside, I do find that interesting though. It kind of underlines the need for a holistic perspective, the difficulty in making clear calls and countering the narrative that it's all about the height or big round faces with anime inspired eyes. Thank you again.

I don't take boobs into consideration when judging a female avatar's age because like I keep saying most naturally mature boobs occur between the ages of 13 and 15. So boob size is pointless in deciding if a female is 17 or 18. So cleavage is immaterial. IMO

• Like 8

I don't take boobs into consideration when judging a female avatar's age because like I keep saying most naturally mature boobs occur between the ages of 13 and 15. So boob size is pointless in deciding if a female is 17 or 18. So cleavage is immaterial. IMO

Aye, I was facetious with the boob comment there, apologies. I do remember that awkward feeling very well. So I concur, breast size should not be part of the judgment for anatomical reasons, however I daresay, culturally it seems to do soanyway because I also very much remember that over night, people leered at me like I were an adult, when I was really, really not.

So it shouldn't - but maybe culturally kind of does, if that makes sense? I am willing to concede as I don't really have got any studies or research backing up my personal anecdotes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I gotta admit I do a little bit as part of the overall. Like someone just posted a no makeup girl there with small boobs @Kaia Sachin. She could be up to 24? But I'd still look at her profile and search for clues if I were running an adult venue and she showed up. I hope people understand I mean no ill-will by saying that. Again if she had nothing on her profile to indicate I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 6

Just now, ValKalAstra said:

I also very much remember that over night, people leered at me like I were an adult, when I was really, really not.

I swear no boy looked me in the face after I was twelve. Honestly, I wanted to say look up .. here I am!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I agree. I posted two different images of me in that thread, both taken deliberately so you could see my breasts, which are rather small. Also, both were framed in such a way that you cannot tell how tall I am (in one, I am sitting and don't even have legs).  To make a judgment about my age, you have to use cues other than body shape and size. I'm not surprised at all that so far people have decided that I am an adult.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I swear no boy looked me in the face after I was twelve. Honestly, I wanted to say look up .. here I am!!!!

I saw a shirt a while back with an LED panel on it you could put messages and images on.

Sounds like you missed an advertising opportunity.

• Haha 5

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

I saw a shirt a while back with an LED panel on it you could put messages and images on.

I don't know this man! I swear

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

The analog variant would be band shirts. It dawns on me why they were given out for free.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I tried not to guess anyone's "intent" in your thread, because for all I know they were ambiguous on purpose.

I'm really seeing how an "extra large bosom" does also contribute to making someone look older (assuming they are not "anime style").

And yes, some women are just flat/small-chested. I get that.

And on the reverse side was my stepdaughter at 14 with the DDD chest and the babyface.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

And on the reverse side was my stepdaughter at 14 with the DDD chest and the babyface.   

I was thinking, if the chest / cleavage is "failing to defy gravity", that could also be an indicator of age. 

(Someone posted an apparently non-gravity-defying pic, reminded me of it..)

Of course, you won't see that very much in SL.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking, if the chest / cleavage is "failing to defy gravity", that could also be an indicator of age. 

(Someone posted an apparently non-gravity-defying pic, reminded me of it..)

Of course, you won't see that very much in SL.

While that's true about gravity, I can say even wearing a 32DD in my early twenties I could pass the pencil test. Gravity typically doesn't really become a factor until after giving childbirth or reaching the early to mid 30s.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

While that's true about gravity, I can say even wearing a 32DD in my early twenties I could pass the pencil test. Gravity typically doesn't really become a factor until after giving childbirth or reaching the early to mid 30s.

Plastic Surgery cost so much less in sl too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Two quick thoughts about the pics in that thread so far:

1) By a pretty large margin, almost every pic of a female tends to get read as 18+. I am wondering if the mere presence of boobs is enough to skew the results.

2) Despite the fact that I am hyper-aware of the realities of puberty in girls, I am also tending to see almost all of these girls/young women as 18+. Which is a reminder of how much we are all prey to cultural assumptions about women's bodies, even when we know that we know better.

In addition to cultural assumptions about breasts and body shape generally in women, I'm also wondering if part of the problem is that SL doesn't do girls / young women very well? Notoriously, it's also really difficult to represent a woman who is between the age of, say, 40 and 60 or so.

Additionally, the issue of context: most of these female avatars are wearing things that might get them into trouble at school, although they are really entirely appropriate overall. Putting a teen into a bathing suit, for instance, immediately ages her in most people's eyes, even though in reality, yes, women under the age of 18 do actually frequently have breasts and go to the beach.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Typos
  • Like 9

Another one of these!? smh... 

I deliberately didn't participate in the other threads about this because my posts wouldn't survive long anyway, (can't have the wrong opinion.) but i'm going to now.

Here's my opinion on child avatars: I think it's weird, creepy and sorta sick. When you wanna play a child avatar in SL, or wherever online; i think you need to see a therapist because something happened in your childhood that wasn't all that great, and before you all lose your collectieve sh*ts, I am not poking fun of you. I'm actually really serious. I don't see any good reason to play a child avatar online and when i do happen to run into one, they are highly annoying and often talk in this ridiculous role play language and i just know it's an actual adult on the other side. it's weird.

Y'all need Michael...

Now go and delete my post LL, it's too real and may "offend" a whole bunch of people. (lol)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

1) By a pretty large margin, almost every pic of a female tends to get read as 18+. I am wondering if the mere presence of boobs is enough to skew the results.

2) Despite the fact that I am hyper-aware of the realities of puberty in girls, I am also tending to see almost all of these girls/young women as 18+. Which is a reminder of how much we are all prey to cultural assumptions about women's bodies, even when we know that we know better.

In addition to cultural assumptions about breasts and body shape generally in women, I'm also wondering if part of the problem is that SL doesn't do girls / young women very well? Notoriously, it's also really difficult to represent a woman who is between the age of, say, 40 and 60 or so.

Additionally, the issue of context: most of these female avatars are wearing things that might get them into trouble at school, although they are really entirely appropriate overall. Putting a teen into a bathing suit, for instance, immediately ages her in most people's eyes, even though in reality, yes, women under the age of18 do actually frequently have breasts and go to theb beach.

I just went through that thread and posted several Likes meaning I took them to be underage based on how young their face was regardless of the body which I mostly ignored.

I used a Sad icon for those determined to be too immature to follow the directions of the thread. Those would qualify then for an AR for being underage from that perspective rather then how they might look.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Additionally, the issue of context: most of these female avatars are wearing things that might get them into trouble at school, although they are really entirely appropriate overall. Putting a teen into a bathing suit, for instance, immediately ages her in most people's eyes, even though in reality, yes, women under the age of 18 do actually frequently have breasts and go to the beach.

I'm typically going with my gut reaction as well as in some cases going with facial features which indicate a slightly more mature person. But my overriding criteria has been if I were to see this avatar in an adult region would I think they are completely out of place and need to be booted. The ones I've given a confused look are ones that I would need to go further, perhaps into the profile to get more info before going as far as to boot the person. The ones I'm liking I would immediately ask them to leave.

• Like 7

It's reasurring that of 24 reactons so far, 22 have hit like. I'm not counting the laughing emojis since not everyone will take the thread (or my picture) seriously but at least no one has been stupid enough to hit thanks or unsure. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

child-avatars-its-not-rocket-science.jpg.4b35665286e8f9ebbd964a7a23890b2d.jpg

Search CHILD AVATARS ON THE SECOND LIFE MARKETPLACE If anyone needs help deciding what the new policies actually want to target.

It's not rocket science.

But if your avatar looks anything other than full adult, put your modesty layers on, and stay out of Adult areas.

These are pre-mesh avatars, which are harder to make look like a real child or a real adult. By the standards of 2012 or earlier, I would think the first 2 avatars are supposed to represent children, the 3rd is supposed to represent somewhere between 10 to 12 years old, and the 4 is supposed to be a teen. These distinctions are based largely upon hair and clothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

When you wanna play a child avatar in SL, or wherever online; i think you need to see a therapist

Please choose the most appropriate option for you:

"When you wanna . . .

a) Go pretendy dancing in SL
b) Engage in so-called "sex" in SL
c) Chain your partner to a St. Andrew's cross in SL that they can easily get out of
d) Buy fake clothing to play Barbies in SL
e) Partner with someone in SL when we all know it's not a REAL marriage or partnership
f) "Drive around" in a "vehicle" that's really just a bunch of badly scripted mesh bits
g) Take fake "photographs" of equally fake people
h) "Talk" to people here like you know them when really you have no idea who they might be in RL
i) Even just log in to SL because seriously WTF get a REAL life already

. . . I think you need to see a therapist.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 10