Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

But my overriding criteria has been if I were to see this avatar in an adult region would I think they are completely out of place and need to be booted.

And I think that what this implies, quite correctly, is that we are judging these looks on the basis of expectations within SL, rather than what an analogous young person might look like in RL.

And that's probably the right way to go about it. Rather than arguing "I know a 15 year old who looks like this in RL!" it would be better and more appropriate to judge looks using our understanding of how things "look" in SL, as well as the culture here.

• Like 6

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Please choose the most appropriate option for you:

"When you wanna . . .

a) Go pretendy dancing in SL
b) Engage in so-called "sex" in SL
c) Chain your partner to a St. Andrew's cross in SL that they can easily get out of
d) Buy fake clothing to play Barbies in SL
e) Partner with someone in SL when we all know it's not a REAL marriage or partnership
f) "Drive around" in a "vehicle" that's really just a bunch of badly scripted mesh bits
g) Take fake "photographs" of equally fake people
i) "Talk" to people here like you know them when really you have no idea who they might be in RL
h) Even just log in to SL because seriously WTF get a REAL life already

. . . I think you need to see a therapist.

strawman.thumb.jpg.d72e620f66cb930174bc37641116e5fd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, CaithLynnSayes said:

strawman.thumb.jpg.d72e620f66cb930174bc37641116e5fd.jpg

Sure. YOUR use of SL is perfectly normal and healthy, but these people over here are just sick.

Absolutely a strawman argument. You got me!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And I think that what this implies, quite correctly, is that we are judging these looks on the basis of expectations within SL, rather than what an analogous young person might look like in RL.

And that's probably the right way to go about it. Rather than arguing "I know a 15 year old who looks like this in RL!" it would be better and more appropriate to judge looks using our understanding of how things "look" in SL, as well as the culture here.

While I agree, I also have to qualify that agreement. All my avatars in someway reflect me in RL physically. They are me at perhaps different stages of my life. But I always strive for RL realism when creating one of the my avatars. That even kind of applies to my fantasy avatars. So I think it's perhaps a bit unrealistic to think that how people appear in RL has no bearing on how our avatars appear in SL. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Another one of these!? smh... 

I deliberately didn't participate in the other threads about this because my posts wouldn't survive long anyway, (can't have the wrong opinion.) but i'm going to now.

Here's my opinion on child avatars: I think it's weird, creepy and sorta sick. When you wanna play a child avatar in SL, or wherever online; i think you need to see a therapist because something happened in your childhood that wasn't all that great, and before you all lose your collectieve sh*ts, I am not poking fun of you. I'm actually really serious. I don't see any good reason to play a child avatar online and when i do happen to run into one, they are highly annoying and often talk in this ridiculous role play language and i just know it's an actual adult on the other side. it's weird.

Y'all need Michael...

Now go and delete my post LL, it's too real and may "offend" a whole bunch of people. (lol)

Nobody asked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sure. YOUR use of SL is perfectly normal and healthy, but these people over here are just sick.

Absolutely a strawman argument. You got me!

The "options" you gave are. I'm not going to have this argument with you. Trying to put sense in your head has been proven pointless many times over.

Enjoy targeting others in this thread that will go against anything you say or think. I just gave my opinion. I'm walking away from this. You'll find me in the "Make Us Laugh" thread or something. Not this crap. ;) 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Age guesses can only be made in a ±10 age year range from the age of the guesser unless they work/ed in academia. Retirees can't guess.

Not even if they were a pediatrician, teacher or parent? 

• Like 4

Just now, Blush Bravin said:

While I agree, I also have to qualify that agreement. All my avatars in someway reflect me in RL physically. They are me at perhaps different stages of my life. But I always strive for RL realism when creating one of the my avatars. That even kind of applies to my fantasy avatars. So I think it's perhaps a bit unrealistic to think that how people appear in RL has no bearing on how our avatars appear in SL. 

I'd agree with this qualification. Maybe the issue isn't so much "realism" as cultural context -- and perhaps the limits of "realism" in SL.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I deliberately didn't participate in the other threads about this because my posts wouldn't survive long anyway,

Nobody thinks your avatar is THAT hideous, I hope. 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Lexxi Gynoid said:

Below is a picture from an account that is gone now. I never attempted to call myself a kid or a teenager or the like, but always wondered if I looked younger than I thought I did. One of the reasons that account no longer exists.

So if you think the avatar looks like: a child (17 or younger) then react with a like, for an adult (18 and over) use thanks, and use confused if you can't tell based on physical appearance alone. 

Please don't respond to individual posts with written comments just use the reaction icons.

51364649214_c596234ec6_k.jpg

Adult if human, but a child by elven standards. (Note the ears signify that she's either elven or Vulcan, probably a teenager if Vulcan.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

It's reasurring that of 24 reactons so far, 22 have hit like. I'm not counting the laughing emojis since not everyone will take the thread (or my picture) seriously but at least no one has been stupid enough to hit thanks or unsure. 

I'd be more laughing because you had to check, when your avatar is clear lol

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Nobody thinks your avatar is THAT hideous, I hope. 

"my avatar" is a collection of meshes and textures that other people made, i just happen to bring them together and it forms a female avatar. It's a thing, an object. In fact, not even that. It's a crash test dummy for the things i do with it in SL, lol. I never see it as a human or something i would feel something for.

Reality, it's a really neat thing. lol. ;) 

21 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Another one of these!? smh... 

I deliberately didn't participate in the other threads about this because my posts wouldn't survive long anyway, (can't have the wrong opinion.) but i'm going to now.

Here's my opinion on child avatars: I think it's weird, creepy and sorta sick. When you wanna play a child avatar in SL, or wherever online; i think you need to see a therapist because something happened in your childhood that wasn't all that great, and before you all lose your collectieve sh*ts, I am not poking fun of you. I'm actually really serious. I don't see any good reason to play a child avatar online and when i do happen to run into one, they are highly annoying and often talk in this ridiculous role play language and i just know it's an actual adult on the other side. it's weird.

Y'all need Michael...

Now go and delete my post LL, it's too real and may "offend" a whole bunch of people. (lol)

You seem triggered, are you ok? I'm concerned!

• Thanks 5

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

You seem triggered, are you ok? I'm concerned!

Triggered, no. Annoyed, and a bit concerned that this seems to be such a big massive hoopla? Yes, very much so. Thanks for your concern. I appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I'd be more laughing because you had to check, when your avatar is clear lol

I didn't need to check, it was an experiment to see how people would react and whether they would be serious or not. Call it a litmus test. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I try my best to not put my standards on others, and I do pretty well. I honestly don't care what their avatars look like, and I generally don't care if someone is wearing system or mesh. And won't assume age. I usually ask or even read their profile. I really don't have a problem with child avatars, as long as they are following the rules and the TOS. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

These are pre-mesh avatars, which are harder to make look like a real child or a real adult. By the standards of 2012 or earlier, I would think the first 2 avatars are supposed to represent children, the 3rd is supposed to represent somewhere between 10 to 12 years old, and the 4 is supposed to be a teen. These distinctions are based largely upon hair and clothing.

If you're still confused and making excuses as to why you can't recognize what a 'child' looks like, then we're all lost... People can't decide on anything. You could have understood by the 'spirit' of it, but now you want to argue meshes... Wow. JUST WOW.

4 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

I didn't need to check, it was an experiment to see how people would react and whether they would be serious or not. Call it a litmus test. 

That's fine. It's when I think of 'child' avatars yours is exactly what I think about, and is the most common age seen. Goonies era avatars by names that start with L and friends, can be found on multiple platforms, including VRChat. Avatars all around 10-12 'presenting' age.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

child-avatars-its-not-rocket-science.jpg.4b35665286e8f9ebbd964a7a23890b2d.jpg

Search CHILD AVATARS ON THE SECOND LIFE MARKETPLACE If anyone needs help deciding what the new policies actually want to target.

It's not rocket science.

But if your avatar looks anything other than full adult, put your modesty layers on, and stay out of Adult areas.

This just proved what I said in another thread.  You must not get out much in SL.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was going to redirect my reply to Codex Alpha here, but I lost it. Phooey.

So, I'll try and sum up. First: I think calling the avatars in question "child avatars" muddies the waters, because what LL is really targeting is any sexualised depiction of minors. Yes, clearly, the Zooby babies shouldn't be on Naked Spanking Island or whatever. 

The pic I posted was me in my everyday shape - petite in height and figure, but not 'childish'. I've never been mistaken for a minor with my daily driver heads  - demonstrating a review copy of a head. In the before-times, I wouldn't hesitate to wear it out and about to a shopping sim or the like. Now, I'm scrutinizing things through a different lens to try and comply with what appears to be a very vague rubric.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

If you're still confused and making excuses as to why you can't recognize what a 'child' looks like, then we're all lost... People can't decide on anything. You could have understood by the 'spirit' of it, but now you want to argue meshes... Wow. JUST WOW.

Calling it a "child avatar" confuses the issue. LL is cracking down on sexualized depictions of minors. And, as has been stated by other women in the thread, some adult people have very youthful figures and some minors are developed in body before their brain has a chance to catch up. 

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I was going to redirect my reply to Codex Alpha here, but I lost it. Phooey.

So, I'll try and sum up. First: I think calling the avatars in question "child avatars" muddies the waters, because what LL is really targeting is any sexualised depiction of minors. Yes, clearly, the Zooby babies shouldn't be on Naked Spanking Island or whatever. 

The pic I posted was me in my everyday shape - petite in height and figure, but not 'childish'. I've never been mistaken for a minor with my daily driver heads  - demonstrating a review copy of a head. In the before-times, I wouldn't hesitate to wear it out and about to a shopping sim or the like. Now, I'm scrutinizing things through a different lens to try and comply with what appears to be a very vague rubric.

Just now, Blaise Glendevon said:

Calling it a "child avatar" confuses the issue. LL is cracking down on sexualized depictions of minors. And, as has been stated by other women in the thread, some adult people have very youthful figures and some minors are developed in body before their brain has a chance to catch up. 

Objective factors which will be used to decide include whether an avatar has childlike facial features, is child-sized, has clothing or accessories generally associated with children, and whether, based on the circumstances, an avatar is speaking or acting like a child ("My Mommy says...").

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I try my best to not put my standards on others, and I do pretty well. I honestly don't care what their avatars look like, and I generally don't care if someone is wearing system or mesh. And won't assume age. I usually ask or even read their profile. I really don't have a problem with child avatars, as long as they are following the rules and the TOS. 

Have you ever had to police an adult venue? Just wondering. Sometimes you do have to make a decision despite what they say.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1