New terms and conditions window blocks access to Second Life

What changes? My account is blocked because I can't read the window... Please Second Life, change this system because many users can no longer connect to the grid.

Any solution to recover my account and my money?

Please read SLJPG.JPG

I don't think the problem comes from the viewer, the windows are not displayed in Firestorm since an update 2 years ago. I use Windows 7 but I don't want to update to Windows 10. Everything worked perfectly yesterday!

My guess is that Windows 7 is indeed the issue.  You might try Cool Viewer - Henri's viewer is more sensitive to the needs of low-end machines.  If I were you, I would avoid upgrading too, lol.  But you might begin thinking about how you could score a newer PC; used windows 10 machines might be going for a song on sites like craigslist.  And this popup works fine in Firestorm on Windows 10.

For the moment, the solution is probably to login once on somebody's newer machine, just to check the box.  

[If you have a VERY trusted friend, you could have them do it for you.  Then change your password!].

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Windows 7 is the problem: the new versions of CEF cannot run under it any more, meaning that to be able to see web pages displayed via the web plugin, you would need an old version of a viewer (Cool VL Viewer included: current versions cannot run CEF under Windows 7).

It should also be possible to replace all the CEF & Dullahan plugin files from a newer viewer installation with the ones from an older version of the same viewer using CEF91...

Also, you could build the Cool VL Viewer with the old CEF91 plugin, by changing ”USE_OLD_CEF” to ”ON” in the linden/indra/cmake/00-BuildOptions.cmake source file, but to build it, you also need Visual Studio 2022, which cannot run on anything older than Windows 10... Doh !

If you are stubborn enough, I suppose you could install a Windows 10 virtual machine (using VirtualBox) on your Windows 7 PC, then install VS2022 in that VM, compile the viewer with the old CEF, and then install it on your Windows 7 PC... But frankly, that's a lot of troubles, when it became rather obvious that Windows 7 is a thing of the past (it does not even receive any security update any more) and that it is time to install a new OS... or to migrate to Linux ! 😛

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Have you tried logging in on the website and not through a viewer and on another browser?

In the past this DID work so I suggest trying as Rowan says.  You can either OK the TOS via logging in the website or via the viewer. EACH avatar will need to do this.     The only thing that apparently changed was the Child Avatar restrictions.  You can see them here  https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Clarification_of_policy_disallowing_ageplay?_gl=1*13mxq7i*_ga*MjgyMTEzMzA0LjE2MjEzNzU1NjA.*_ga_T7G7P6DCEC*MTcxNDgzODgxMy40NDMzLjEuMTcxNDgzOTA1My4wLjAuMTU0MTM5NDM5MA..*_fplc*b2l0Qkc3aGFHNnNlOHViaURBWVolMkJ2ZWlFSkdyVXFjMGo0Zms4d0RqY0ZoQnlxdlJtV2VZUkJ1Rml2JTJGVElVWFd3QmIlMkJBODNtJTJGT29RT1FEclY1JTJCUmh1UkZvU1pjS1YlMkJDbFZzRmkzOTNJOVVyY2VBY1gyNU81ZkE2ZTJTd1FBJTNEJTNE

You can also read the current TOS o the website .   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ineffable Mote said:

I don't suppose there are mobile options for this (I don't use them myself or keep up, just curious)

The only official mobile option is in Alpha testing ATM limited to Premie-Plus and Linden staff.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Windows 7 is the problem

I have had no problem getting the new TOS text and checking the box  in Windows 7, using Firestorm Release 6.6.17.70368.

I have logged in 12 alts in the last 2 days, to update the TOS for them, all with WIndows 7.   I am using Win7 Professional, Service Pack 1, Build 7601.

--------------------------

I also still get antivirus updates for Win7 Microsoft Security Essentials, twice a day.  Pending update:

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.409.673.0) - Current Channel (Broad)

Download size: 510 KB

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to revise the files that are used to detect viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I have had no problem getting the new TOS text and checking the box  in Windows 7, using Firestorm Release 6.6.17.70368.

Because it is still using the old (and security-holes riddled) CEF91 plugin... Won't work any more with viewers that have updated to a newer CEF version (last Windows 7 compatible version of Chromium/CEF was v109, and current version in use by LL and most TPVs for their Windows builds is v118).

Posted (edited)

So installing the latest Firestorm Release should work for him?  

Just confirming that installing the present Firestorm Release lets you approve the new TOS before logging in using Windows 7.

Installing the latest FS PBR Beta blocks the TOS signup with Win7 as expected since it is mostly up to date (released 1 week ago.)

The FS PBR works fine with Win7 btw, same as with Win10.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

You can either OK the TOS via logging in the website or via the viewer.

This is the simplest solution. Log into your website account from a web browser and OK it there. Simple.

• Like 1

After digging through the archives on my hard drive, it was with a very old viewer that I was able to get back my account.

pleaseread2.JPG.5b46a6003d7886e2d5db7ad644651ed8.JPG

In this case there is obviously no question of rezzing your avatar and the error messages keep coming. But enough to display the conditions window with an available box.

I advise experienced residents to keep old installation files in their archives (Phoenix, Rainbow, Emerald etc...) which will be of greatest help to them in checking inaccessible boxes on Firestorm.

I don't use an old computer. My hardware is recent, powerful and fast and I had to use some tricks to make it accept Windows Seven 64 bits. Simple and reliable OS that does not ask you every 5 minutes if you “agree to click on this square” (unlike Windows 10)

It is true that since version Firestorm 6.6.3 (67470), the viewer windows no longer display web content and I really wonder what the technical change was with the old version which worked perfectly.

More info on one of my old posts:
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/493029-firestorm-663-67470-vs-firefox-ne-communicant-plus/#comment-2530833

Thanks to Jaylinbridges for the info regarding update KB2310138 (Version 1.409.673.0) which I had not installed. I will do it and keep you posted.

I'm not used to English acronyms in my language. What is the meaning of :
CEF91, VM, TOS, ATM, FS PBR Beta?

Regarding the Clarification of policy disallowing *****, I really wonder if it was worth taking the risk of blocking accounts upon connection by putting a window that certain OS will not be able to read.
I did not see such a window in my web profile where I could have checked the box, without blocking my viewer.

So thanks to Nika Talaj for the info on Henri's viewer. I'll try it and compare it to Firestorm which becomes more and more paranoid.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Neness Renard said:

I really wonder if it was worth taking the risk of blocking accounts upon connection by putting a window that certain OS will not be able to read.

No one is blocking anyone, as already been suggested you could easily log to your dashboard via a browser of your choice and accept ToS there.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 2

Why chose the easy solution of upgrading ones software, if the hardware doesn't stand in the way to do so, when one can go the difficult road to search for workarounds over and over again?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Neness Renard said:

I'm not used to English acronyms in my language. What is the meaning of :
CEF91, VM, TOS, ATM, FS PBR Beta?

You know, searching for any of these acronyms, with any web search engine or with this very forum search feature, would give you the answer...

CEF = Chromium Embedded Framework (an embedded version of Chromium, used by the viewer to display web pages).

VM = Virtual Machine

TOS = Term Of Service

FS = Firestorm

PBR = Physically Based Rendering (the new rendering engine in LL's latest official viewer).

3 hours ago, Neness Renard said:

So thanks to Nika Talaj for the info on Henri's viewer. I'll try it and compare it to Firestorm which becomes more and more paranoid.

In this case (Windows 7), this won't help, like I explain in my post above, unless you build the viewer yourself from sources (but you'd have to do it from a Windows 10 or 11 VM, since the required compiler, Visual Studio 2022, won't run either under Windows 7).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Neness Renard said:

I advise experienced residents to keep old installation files in their archives (Phoenix, Rainbow, Emerald etc...) which will be of greatest help to them in checking inaccessible boxes on Firestorm.

Oh yeah, that's a great idea. By the way, if you get an email from a Nigerian prince, make sure to give him all your passwords and account numbers too- you can totally trust that guy. 

• Like 1

... Congrats. Your choices are as follows: Get Windows 10/11, swap to a Mac, swap to Linux or utilize the web page portal to sign in and accept the ToS there.

Welcome to life - things get EoLed and while we can gripe about them until the Sun goes Nova, at the end of the day said griping serves only as a vent, especially in such circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even I, who has clung onto Windows 7 like a sloth to a branch, finally had to downgrade to Windows 10 a few months back. Too much important stuff simply wouldn't run, or I couldn't get updates, any more. The final straw was an odd glitch in the latest FS PBR beta, which was resolved by changing to Windows 10.

Windows 10 LTSC seems not too bad so far. Funny though... I bought a new HP PC, with the latest Intel i7 14th gen CPU, 64GB DDR5 RAM and fast NVMe storage. Windows 10 on it takes longer to start up and shut down then my older, earlier gen HP of the same type with Windows 7, a 9yo CPU, early generation SSD and DDR4. Progress, huh?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Progress, huh?

I think the biggest draw to old versions of windows it that it does what you tell it to do.

Any windows 10 or 11 user, try to turn off your windows updates, or windows defender. Its not just a setting to toggle on and off, its a whole huge ordeal to get that to take place. You have to get into the GPE and the registry to get either of those things to turn off, and windows is designed after a specific set of updates to turn those things back on automatically even if you turn them off that way. Like if you dig through the GPE and your registry and you manage to get windows 10 to stop looking for updates, stop downloading updates, never install updates, dont even connect to the microsoft update servers, after you reboot its going to turn it all back on and download updates again.

With windows 7 you click a box that says "never check for updates" and it doesnt care, it just doesnt check for updates anymore, ever again.

Its a respect thing, new windows doesnt respect the user. Old windows does whatever you tell it to. So for people who have used windows from 7, vista, xp, 2000, etc, its annoying as all hell to have the system suddenly try and take control.

Even 8 and 8.1 are preferable to me over windows 10, and its what i run on an alder lake N100 system with a 750ti:

n100.thumb.png.33853c6be2eb06b10d968e7ca8f8506b.png

because for what that PC does, i want the OS to be the least impactful part of the system, but windows 7 doesnt play nice with nvme ssds out of the box and i was too lazy to install a sata drive in this

• Thanks 1