Things that Happened in SL

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The police departments in SL.
Nuff said.

I was floored to hear that the Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education conference this year used Green Lanterns for "security."

Yeeeesh. There's a way to make education in SL look "legit" and serious, eh? Have your conference "guarded" by vigilantes RPing as comic book heroes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was floored to hear that the Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education conference this year used Green Lanterns for "security."

Yeeeesh. There's a way to make education in SL look "legit" and serious, eh? Have your conference "guarded" by vigilantes RPing as comic book heroes.

IYKYK, Kato is the real hero of Green Lantern. I guess he was busy.

• Like 2

Lots of vague, random memories.

Packed sims where people played Tringo for hours and hours per day.

Visiting real auto manufacturers' in-world car showrooms.

Adoption agencies flooding the search results with those hideous prim things with the faces painted on, oh gawd.

Clubs filled with people riding on that dumb cow with the googly eyes that blasted music and made you dance (that I still have in my inventory).

Daily particle attacks that'd shut down the grid. I remember some of them being kind of funny, but hell if I remember what they were.

Photo-realistic celebrity skins being a whole thing and terrifying just about everyone until creators got good at them.

Companies flocking to SL to set up virtual offices (my friend built a few here and there).

Kelly Services setting up a virtual office for their temp staffing business (I never did figure out if that was for RL or SL jobs - I think RL).

The first time I saw Lolas and thought I was losing my damn mind.

People shopping at yard sales for their clothing instead of stores because transfer perms were a thing.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hey I was part of that (but not as a RL educator now participating in SL).

All I can say is that it doesn't take long for these people to morph into something that would be beyond recognition in their former lives   :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

All I can say is that it doesn't take long for these people to morph into something that would be beyond recognition in their former lives   :)

In fairness, I don't know much about the organization these days. For that matter, I was surprised that they are still even a thing.

But in the old days . . . they were something to watch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I honestly don't remember -- I don't think so?

It's all a bit of a blur. While I was looking for that pic, I discovered a "goodbye" post I wrote to the SLLU at about that same time that I have no recollection of ever writing!

He was a UK poet, I can't remember his name now but he dressed as a pirate and I think he used to do open mic at Nu Brighton...there was a woman supposed to be doing protest songs, but she was doing karaoke to things like "Search for the hero inside yourself" and I think most people there wanted Bob Dylan or RATM :o i remember an anarchist bagpipe player too, and that some of us went to Demonic afterwards and were giving out Occupy flags to the vampires and goths on the dancefloor :D

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Seriously? Do you really think people were ARing Joe Biden signs?

I don't know, to be honest! I remember tensions were running high just before the election :/

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

People shopping at yard sales for their clothing instead of stores because transfer perms were a thing.

I used to love yard sales! Both buying and selling. I remember as a very new avatar, shopping at one of SL's biggest yard sales, which was run by a prolific slaver. She collared my avatar (remember the old Amethyst collars?) and I did not understand what it meant.

• Like 1

I've taken everything that happened in the past in SL and bleached the hell out of it..

I had such an inflated ego for the first couple of years in here.. I think a good humbling that I got, was the best thing that ever happened back then.

I remember a lot of events over the years, but really just don't like taking the path back to try and remember the specifics, because of all the cringe I'll cross along the way.. LOL

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I had such an inflated ego for the first couple of years in here.. I think a good humbling that I got, was the best thing that ever happened back then.

The same thing happened to me!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Is it true that Duran Duran had SL accounts and played live here? 😮

It would have been even cooler if their namesake did, by that I mean "Durand Durand" from "Barbarella", who famously created the "Orgasmatron".  That's who "Duran Duran" is named after! ETA: played by Milo O'Shea.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

One particular memory was the Great Land Price Crash of 2007 (I think).  Extortionate land prices tumbled suddenly, after LL opened up a large area of new mainland. Land barons couldn't get rid of their portfolios of plots quick enough!  After a few days there was loads of cheap land available.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

One particular memory was the Great Land Price Crash of 2007 (I think).  Extortionate land prices tumbled suddenly, after LL opened up a large area of new mainland. Land barons couldn't get rid of their portfolios of plots quick enough!  

Around that time one had to buy an estate parcel too for good money upfront due to land shortage, that collapsed when the new regions delivery was automated.

Edited by Sid Nagy