Would you get a Neuralink implant so you could play SL hands-free?

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are you blob-shaming?!?!? LOL! (I know it is a scene from "WALL-E".)

Of course not!  I will defend any persons right to be a blob if that's what makes them happy! :D

But we all know how marketing works, pretty soon everyone will be thin shaming and the next thing you know we're living in a Blobocracy (but not an actual blobocracy cos apparently that's a real thing 😮) where everyone is judged not by their merits or actions but purely by their roundosity!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You couldn't pay me enough to let any corporation implant anything in me.

Wearables, though? That's more interesting.

If the implant made other people nicer / more likable, or allowed me to tolerate life in a constant state of euphoria, I'm in!

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If the implant made other people nicer / more likable, or allowed me to tolerate life in a constant state of euphoria, I'm in!

I believe you can get a variety of suppositories that have similar effects, do those count? 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I tried that, they taste terrible and get stuck in my teeth.

My mind flashed back to the scene in Trainspotting but I decided not to link it since it's wildly off-topic and also really gross! 😅

I like my reality just the way it is, and while I find the whole subject of implanted technology and brain interfaces fascinating I'm with Paul on this one, I'd rather keep my tech on the outside for now.

I've had the OpenBCI site bookmarked for a while now and have often toyed with the idea of trying out some of their more affordable options.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For the Musk doubters one wonders if they would prefer a neuralink option from Linden Labs considering its past track record

"New from LL's Mindwerks R&D Department, the latest in discrete, un-obtrusive neural interfacing implants, totally undetectable in use."

MindwerksImplants.png.9824a330ad4499f9f07c964f8486dca1.png

• Haha 4

Just now, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I've had the OpenBCI site bookmarked for a while now and have often toyed with the idea of trying out some of their more affordable options.

I think it would be cheaper (and possibly more effective) to put a bag over your head, have a close friend describe scenes to you (like a DM), turn you around, and tweak your nips/etc. as appropriate.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think it would be cheaper (and possibly more effective) to put a bag over your head, have a close friend describe scenes to you (like a DM), turn you around, and tweak your nips/etc. as appropriate.

I'm not sure what games you've been playing or what sims you hang out on but I feel like we lead very different second lives! 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I'm not sure what games you've been playing or what sims you hang out on but I feel like we lead very different second lives! 🤣

Bonus: Now with the new official Mobile SL Viewer,  you could slip your cellphone into one of those carboard goggles and experience SL in "Virtual Reality" on the cheap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"New from LL's Mindwerks R&D Department, the latest in discrete, un-obtrusive neural interfacing implants, totally undetectable in use."

MindwerksImplants.png.9824a330ad4499f9f07c964f8486dca1.png

Maybe it is a Bellisseria Birthday Discussion Automation Implant... BBDAI™ coming soon™.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think in a few years time BCI and AR could be a real game changing combination, but both technologies are still a long way from being commercially viable consumer products.

As for using a direct interface between your brain and a computer to play Second Life, I think the lack of filter between peoples brains and their keyboards is enough of a problem already.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Maybe it is a Bellisseria Birthday Discussion Automation Implant... BBDAI™ coming soon™.

The head-attachments in that picture would look perfect with birthday candles attached to each "node"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

For decades I never questioned the idea where those cybernetics would actually come from. Many of these stories were written in a time before Digital Rights Management (DRM) or Software as a Service (SaaS) were a thing. I've always wanted cybernetics. At least as a kid.

Nowadays? HOLY EMPEROR OF NOPE.

Maybe not entirely Cyberpunk, but still somewhat relevant:

"Mag's contract's got some mighty fine print.
Some mighty...fine...print...
And that mighty fine print puts Mag in a mighty fine predicament...
If Mag up and splits, her eyes are forfeit..."
--Zydrate Anatomy.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anna Salyx said:

Unironically one of my favourite Shadowrun movies and it's even funnier because it's like they didn't realise until post production they never actually got the rights for it and then went with generic cyberpunk instead. :D

But it's so, so Shadowrun. Even weird cybered up preacher guy or the monofilament whip.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I do wonder if it would help people who've suffered paralysis to have a better SL experience? So much of SL is still based on being able to use a keyboard...it would be cool if it could help people to 'think-type' or connect to an AI voice app...but I don't really know much about this technology and know some people here really don't like or trust Elon Musk...🤔

This is the idea being used to sell the concept. I believe it will be developed to help people with injuries and handicaps. But think of the cost and the limited target market for the tech. Big pharma and big medical are looking for a larger audience. I suspect we gamers will be an early target demographic.

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's bad enough having Musk on my Twitter feed. I don't want him any closer than that.

OMG!!! Now I need an AMEN emoji ...

10 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

For decades I never questioned the idea where those cybernetics would actually come from. Many of these stories were written in a time before Digital Rights Management (DRM) or Software as a Service (SaaS) were a thing. I've always wanted cybernetics. At least as a kid.

Nowadays? HOLY EMPEROR OF NOPE.

You just know some musky manchild is gonna switch off your implant over some stupid unrelated social media feud or your cybernetic arm will just flick off because wifi crashed. I can't even imagine wanting one anymore because I've got so very little trust in software companies these days.

As kids we like the stuff that seems neat. Then we get older and build an immunity to the hype.

The idea that these links are just one-way... is likely way too simple a viewpoint. If it is two-way, then it WILL be hacked.

That it can be repo'd or turned off at someone's discretion... other than mine... is a deal breaker.

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The scary word in that sentence is 'made'... if the implant made... I think that shows how the propaganda is already shaping our thinking.

We get to experiment with lots in SL. In addition to myself I've gotten to be a male, gopher, dragon, boxbot... But in real life the same ideas are being pushed. Pick your sex. For only a few tens of thousands and agreement to purchase hormones from us  for life we'll change your physical body to match. It has been much cheaper in SL.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

if the implant made... I think that shows how the propaganda is already shaping our thinking.

Yeah, I know the "actual" implants are more "reading". I was more referring to "writing" (changing our brain) implants. 

We're not there yet!

On 3/25/2024 at 2:16 PM, Paul Hexem said:

You couldn't pay me enough to let any corporation implant anything in me.

Wearables, though? That's more interesting.

I'm a diabetic and I use FreeStyle libre to measure my blood sugar levels.
I have to more or less implant a new one in\on my arm every fortnight.
And I implant a new cannula  for my insulin pump too every few days.
But
A: it is my arm and belly, not my brain
B: it is for medical reasons, not for gaming or entertainment.

Afbeelding-Suikerplein.jpg

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm a diabetic and I use FreeStyle libre to measure my blood sugar levels.
I have to more or less implant a new one in\on my arm every fortnight.
And I implant a new cannula  for my insulin pump too every few days.
But
A: it is my arm and belly, not my brain
B: it is for medical reasons, not for gaming or entertainment.

Afbeelding-Suikerplein.jpg

Those things are pretty darn cool. You cyborg, you! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 12:21 AM, Annie Nova said:

One word.............Surrogates.....nuff said

I remember that movie a few years back --- People living via surrogates until the main computer got shut down.

I also trust anything from Musk as far I can toss a steamship.