Where have the sandboxes gone?!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

SL Search is not smart enough to find sandboxes.  You must search for sandbox, and you will find dozens of sandboxes.

Strange. There used to be some results in this page I shared, a few days ago, I think... Anyway, thankya'll for the help

There are quite a number of four-region LInden-owned sandboxes.

Anybody:

• Sandbox Wanderton (General, 4 regions) Southeast of Bay City - 4 regions
  • WelcomeHub Sandbox (General, 1 region) Part of the new WelcomeHub complex. Suggested for new users.
  • Morris (General, 1 partial region) Part of the old Dore/Ahern/Bonifiacio/Morris welcome area.
  • Builders Brewery Sandbox (Moderate, 1 region) Privately run building area. Classes, help often available. Dressing rooms. Suggested for new users.

Premium:

The old premium home continents have many sandboxes nearby.

• Sandbox Astutula (General, 4 regions)
  • Sandbox Mirificatio (General, 4 regions)
  • Sandbox Decorus (General, 4 regions)
  • Sandbox Admirana (General, 4 regions)
  • Dry Gulch (General, 4 regions) Off-road vehicle testing. Rez area near starting line.
  • Orville, (General, 1 region) The seaplane testing airport.
  • Arowana (General, 1 region) A little island for small boat testing. Has zero scripts, which is useful for some kinds of benchmarking.
  • Sandbox Radiantia (General, 1 region) West of Orville, one standalone region

Adult premium:

• Sandbox Goyer (Adult, 4 regions) Part of Zindra. Not particularly sex-oriented.

Those are the big sandboxes, for house-sized projects. If you're just changing clothes, a dressing room is all you need. Many stores have those. There are some at WelcomeHub, Builders Brewery Sandbox, and Oxbridge Caledon. Those are useful if you're having clothing malfunctions and need help.

• Thanks 1

Each grain of sand in a sandbox represents 1 Prim.  

There are only so many Prims to go around!

As Second Life grows, the amount of sand deteriorates, so when there is not enough remaining sand, a sandbox must be closed by necessity.  That closed sandbox's remaining sand is distributed to those sandboxes which are lacking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As Second Life grows, the amount of sand deteriorates, so when there is not enough remaining sand, a sandbox must be closed by necessity.  That closed sandbox's remaining sand is distributed to those sandboxes which are lacking.

math-hmm.gif.7c2a8e36525b9a70069599a90ca82184.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I don't think op is complaining they can't find sandboxes in secondlife, I think they're complaining that the dedicated sandbox category in the destination guide has zero sandboxes

Maybe they are higher than "GMA" maturity level? (per the message on the screen).

More likely, just (another) SNAFU on Search / Destinations?

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 1:12 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I disagree. The many islands that disappear and sink back into the sea must end up eventually as more sand, thus leading to an increase in SL beaches. ⛱️

The sand for internal sandboxes (not island ones) must have to come from somewhere though. Is it transported from existing beaches or dug out from out of the ground? Is a shortage of available sand why most "sandboxes" are actually grass-covered earth? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I disagree. The many islands that disappear and sink back into the sea must end up eventually as more sand, thus leading to an increase in SL beaches. ⛱️

The sand for internal sandboxes (not island ones) must have to come from somewhere though. Is it transported from existing beaches or dug out from out of the ground? Is a shortage of available sand why most "sandboxes" are actually grass-covered earth? 

Ah, ok..

I suppose that even without volcanoes, we somehow get more sand over time.  And unlike a real "planet", the amount of "land mass" can always grow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose that even without volcanoes, we somehow get more sand over time.

The problem is Nekos, SL has a substantial number of these feline things.

And we know what cats do in Sandboxes...

Used sand has to be disposed of, which is why Belli has so many unused beaches.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The problem is Nekos, SL has a substantial number of these feline things.

And we know what cats do in Sandboxes...

Used sand has to be disposed of, which is why Belli has so many unused beaches.

Genuine laughter this time . XD

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

When people blow the dust out of their computers some of it gets blown into and settles in SL... and THAT is where SL sand comes from...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

When people blow the dust out of their computers some of it gets blown into and settles in SL... and THAT is where SL sand comes from...

Is that like (when the rich kids who owned such things were) blowing into Atari or Nintendo gaming cartridges?

On 2/17/2024 at 12:50 PM, animats said:

There are quite a number of four-region LInden-owned sandboxes.

Not a four region one, but among the linden run sandboxes there is also Sandbox Bellisseria which appears to be the only 'open to anyone' sandbox that is NOT G rated.

It's mostly for messing with Linden Homes - but you can build anywhere and if you don't want to struggle with avoiding where the homes are, just go up into the sky and rez a platform.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sandbox Bellisseria/128/128/2

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Not a four region one, but among the linden run sandboxes there is also Sandbox Bellisseria which appears to be the only 'open to anyone' sandbox that is NOT G rated.

Just to the west of Zindra is the Linden owned/run adult rated http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Vortex Adult Sandbox/216/117/24 open to anyone, i don't think it was purely meant as a sandbox and it's not your typical grass or sand region.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

It's mostly for messing with Linden Homes - but you can build anywhere and if you don't want to struggle with avoiding where the homes are, just go up into the sky and rez a platform.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sandbox Bellisseria/128/128/2

The Sandbox Bellisseria is rated 'M'. There are many of these in SL.

There are a few Adult sandboxes in Agni, SL. The Destination Guide shows 11.

There are some sandboxes for premium customers only. These are the best.

There are a few for server rollout testing. RC BlueSteel is one. Access is for only those that have participated in SL development, which mostly means being involved in the Linden user groups.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Just to the west of Zindra is the Linden owned/run adult rated http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Vortex Adult Sandbox/216/117/24 open to anyone, i don't think it was purely meant as a sandbox and it's not your typical grass or sand region.

Oh good to know.

Historically that spot was private run and had weird permissions. I've not looked at it in maybe more than 5 years as a result. Just checked and it is owned by a linden now, with full build perms. That said you can still see remnants of the old private owners in the weird stuff, walls, and signs in the middle of the region.

Other than that and the Bellisseria Sandbox; my understanding is all of the other sandoxes in SL that are NOT G rated are either private owned or require premium to enter.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.