Are we ever gonna be able to hide account age?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

it continues to amaze me how users, even myself, momentarily forget this is a cartoon made-up whatever-you-wanna-roleplay-today thing at every login.  Year after year.  And that rereading stuff from that mindset just doesn't make arguing that important about RL stuff like [insert word here].  Visible cartoony rez date gives ya anxiety?  Be kind to your body I say!  What a great life SL is, when ya gotta make up something to be stressed about I guess, so congrats!  Rez day just don't mean nothin but that ya could type on that date.  

• Like 8

LL never intended for account age to be something where avatars have a sense of 'oldness' but SL has existed for so long that it does. Account age doesn't give out real age but it does give users a perceived difference of age. We haven't seen this sort of thing in online virtual worlds or in MMOGs because most other places either die out before account age difference can be perceived or are so new that account age doesn't matter.  It's an interesting phenomena that I think LL should keep because it makes SL unique. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, such a leap in 'logic' ....

It has nothing whatsoever to do with 'privacy' and everything to do with keeping things that have no relevance whatsoever to the thread, out of the thread.

I would simply put forward that I think it's to the benefit of everyone in the thread to know what your laughing reactions meant, and to find out if you were just trolling or had a genuine opinion to give. After all, we're here to have a discussion, and it's important to understand each others opinions and interests clearly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

it continues to amaze me how users, even myself, momentarily forget this is a cartoon made-up whatever-you-wanna-roleplay-today thing at every login.  Year after year.  And that rereading stuff from that mindset just doesn't make arguing that important about RL stuff like [insert word here].  Visible cartoony rez date gives ya anxiety?  Be kind to your body I say!  What a great life SL is, when ya gotta make up something to be stressed about I guess, so congrats!  Rez day just don't mean nothin but that ya could type on that date.  

In another thread someone critisized me for saying we are just cartoons. They were like oh no, some of us take SL very seriously, not like you who obviously think this is all just a big game.

i can only imagine them harrumphing loudly as they typed it. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Extrude Ragu, @Solar Legion

Asking for clarification is certainly appropriate in a forum discussion, but because some people prefer to just leave an emoji reaction, rather than type out a response, it's generally advisable to not ask what they intended to mean with their emoji. Some people like to leave emojis that are intentionally vague or confusing. It's also possible to accidentally check the wrong emoji. Rather than getting upset about why they left a particular emoji response, it's better to just ignore it.

As for taking a discussion to private messages, I find this to be most helpful when politely asking for clarification, for information that might not be appreciated on the public forum, or suggestions for changes someone might make to a thread title, thread location, or post. Once the exchange has already become heated publically, it rarely gets better in private, unless one of the participants wants to apologize.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Once the exchange has already become heated publically, it rarely gets better in private, unless one of the participants wants to apologize.

There's a "use-case" for hiding account age! Someone with an assumedly "young" account age wouldn't be expected to know how to behave, right? 😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's a "use-case" for hiding account age! Someone with an assumedly "young" account age wouldn't be expected to know how to behave, right? 😉

This is also a use-case for creating a young and "innocent" alt, aka a baby sock puppet.

image.png.60f7fd912803f042fbb5b073f68e0dcb.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This is also a use-case for creating a young and "innocent" alt, aka a baby sock puppet.

image.png.60f7fd912803f042fbb5b073f68e0dcb.png

Me to Pride mother:  "HEY!! This iz hoo-mon bebeh, I orderdt teh Neko bebeh!!"

Pride mother: "Bu..bu..but..ALL Neko babehs come out as teh hoo-mon!"

Me: "Dis bedr not be oldr non-Neko babeh!! Did you chek a-count age?"

This has been a dramatization of  a scenario where having account age could prevent discord within a family when adding new family members. Brought to you by the "Truth In Avatars Coalition".

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

care to share what's so funny?

"The School Of Over-Complicated Solutions In Search Of A Non-Problem" approach to feature requests.

Filing Jira's for such "solutions" to problems that 99.99999 % of SecondLifers don't have and don't care about.

Claiming that any poster who DARES to disagree with inane ideas based on wild assumptions  is "negative and contributes nothing to the forum".

There's THREE reasons why people might subject another person's posts to well deserved sarcastic mocking laughter.

One could also add posting laughable garbage, then whining when the laughable garbage gets laughed at, then demanding to know what's laughable about the laughable garbage, when that has already been made abundantly clear earlier in the thread.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

IMHO - hiding "Premium" status makes a lot more sense than hiding "Account Age". 

agree that it's nobody's business whether you are a Premium member or not'.

do not agree that account age is the same, that there are valid, non-paranoia, non-abuse-intended reasons to hide one's account age.

^^^ I said it, no take-backs!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"The School Of Over-Complicated Solutions In Search Of A Non-Problem" approach to feature requests.

Filing Jira's for such "solutions" to problems that 99.99999 % of SecondLifers don't have and don't care about.

Claiming that any poster who DARES to disagree with inane ideas based on wild assumptions  is "negative and contributes nothing to the forum".

There's THREE reasons why people might subject another person's posts to well deserved sarcastic mocking laughter.

One could also add posting laughable garbage, then whining when the laughable garbage gets laughed at, then demanding to know what's laughable about the laughable garbage, when that has already been made abundantly clear earlier in the thread.

I missed you too :)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Sounds like a landowner we all know and pretend to love!

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

IMHO - hiding "Premium" status makes a lot more sense than hiding "Account Age". 

agree that it's nobody's business whether you are a Premium member or not'.

do not agree that account age is the same, that there are valid, non-paranoia, non-abuse-intended reasons to hide one's account age.

^^^ I said it, no take-backs!

I think what it comes down to really is personal preference. Different people consider different things more personal, different things some residents are more comfortable sharing than others. Residents tend to lead very different SecondLive's to each other. What seems reasonable to share to one is not reasonable to another. In the end, my personal feeling is its best to just let residents choose what they want to share. It doesn't really do any harm and prevents hard feelings from people who might otherwise feel intentionally excluded in some way or another.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A rare moment of Zalificent appreciation - I prefer Zalificents criticism of me to the way Solar treats me. Whilst often inflammatory in some way or other, at least she takes the time to explain her point of view very clearly. I appreciate someone who will stand behind their words and face me head on.

• Like 3

I've noticed that there comes a point on the forums, usually when there is a dearth of other interesting topics but not always, where one topic becomes the focal point for all the arguing back and forth.  It doesn't really matter what the topic, it could be about the colour of the sky, what matters is that people can unload their angst there and they do.

Recently, this is the topic because it certainly isn't that contentious by itself and it doesn't stand out in any other significant way in the grand scheme of things as far as I can see.

Just having a moment of reflection really.

• Like 2

Hate to break it to you Extrude but the way I approach things here is firmly within the ToS for the forum.

The sort of approach you've praised is toeing the line at best.

I'd prefer to state my views once on particular topics as frankly I see little point in rehashing things or tackling what amounts to the exact same arguments (being polite on that for some) with differences in wording.

You may have the time and energy (or simply wish to waste such) to rehash such things or to have others restate what they have posted for you - not everyone does however.

Nor does everyone wish to spin the roulette wheel when it comes to voicing their thoughts in a more direct manner. Especially when others have already covered what one wished to voice and in a manner that still falls within the ToS/Posting Guidelines.

I've found Zal's over the top method to often be just that on some topics - over the top and unnecessary.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

OK. I'm going to lay it on you. You are creating a solution to a problem that DOES NOT EXIST for 99.99% of residents. So maybe you should take a look at your own behavior and figure out what you may have said or done to cause your personal issue.

Tell that to all the people who decided to make new accounts :'p.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.