Limit Post Lengths

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Any chance the forums could have a limit on the number of charactors in a post?

I was trying to reply to a post by one the forums long winded posters, I quoted him but only wanted to include the relative part of his post. 

After about 10 minutes of backspacing, and still nowhere near the top, I gave up.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

While editing text, you can click-and-drag to select text before you press backspace to remove all of it at once. You can do this basically everywhere. You could also click one spot in a text editor, hold Shift, and click another spot to select all text in between those spots. (This can be easier if there's so much text that you need to scroll around.)

This forum has a specific feature as well. If you select text in someone else's post (the text that can't be edited), you'll get a popup to "quote selection." Clicking that button will automatically add the selected quote in the post editor.

image.png.1e480ccd26a445ad03f3ee1577f8ff2f.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If you

39 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

click-and-drag to select text

39 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You can

40 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"quote selection."

36 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

in someone else's post

36 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

This can be easier

37 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

in the post editor.

;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

While editing text, you can click-and-drag to select text before you press backspace to remove all of it at once. You can do this basically everywhere. You could also click one spot in a text editor, hold Shift, and click another spot to select all text in between those spots. (This can be easier if there's so much text that you need to scroll around.)

This forum has a specific feature as well. If you select text in someone else's post (the text that can't be edited), you'll get a popup to "quote selection." Clicking that button will automatically add the selected quote in the post editor.

image.png.1e480ccd26a445ad03f3ee1577f8ff2f.png

I can mass back space on my computer, it seems a bit harder to do that on my phone. Thanks for the other suggestions too.

Still it would be nice to prevent people from writing whole novels in one post 😁

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I can mass back space on my computer, it seems a bit harder to do that on my phone. Thanks for the other suggestions too.

Still it would be nice to prevent people from writing whole novels in one post 😁

Ya, but then we wouldn't get the whole story! \o/

• Haha 2

Limiting the number of words allowable on a forum could have several negative consequences. Firstly, it could discourage users from posting their thoughts and ideas, as they may feel that they are unable to fully express themselves within the given word limit. This could lead to a decrease in user engagement and participation, which could ultimately harm the community as a whole. Secondly, limiting the number of words could also lead to a decrease in the quality of posts. Users may feel that they need to rush through their thoughts in order to meet the word limit, which could result in poorly written or incomplete posts. This could make it more difficult for other users to understand the content of the post, and could lead to confusion or misunderstandings. Thirdly, limiting the number of words could also stifle creativity and innovation. Users may feel that they are unable to explore complex topics or ideas within the given word limit, which could prevent them from sharing new and interesting perspectives with the community. This could ultimately lead to a lack of diversity in the content posted on the forum, which could make it less interesting and engaging for users. Finally, it is worth noting that limiting the number of words could also be seen as a form of censorship. By restricting the amount of content that users are allowed to post, forum moderators could be seen as limiting free speech and expression. This could lead to a loss of trust and respect from the community, which could ultimately harm the reputation of the forum. In conclusion, while there may be some benefits to limiting the number of words allowable on a forum, such as reducing spam or improving readability, there are also several potential drawbacks that should be considered. Ultimately, it is up to the forum moderators to decide whether or not to implement such a limit, and to carefully weigh the pros and cons before doing so.

- Bing Chat, providing a long winded answer

My work here is done.  Thank you bing chat!

/me steps back into shadows, vanishing from the thread.

Edited by Istelathis
I have an image to maintain, what would people say if I did not have at least one edit.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Can we also do away with that ^^^^ typeface?  It's unreadable in that color, too on the dark theme.  😁

I had intended to keep the white background from the copied text, but thought it had gone far enough when I removed the paragraphs to make a wall of text 🙃

/me re-vanishes from thread (last time I swear it!)

• Haha 4

Just be glad I post differently on the forums than I chat inworld.

Every thread would be filled with my one-sentence posts, and you'd have to read 50 of them to get what I was even saying.

I'm sure most people would get less than 3 pages in and give up.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Limiting the number of words allowable on a forum could have several negative consequences. Firstly, it could discourage users from posting their thoughts and ideas, as they may feel that they are unable to fully express themselves within the given word limit. This could lead to a decrease in user engagement and participation, which could ultimately harm the community as a whole. Secondly, limiting the number of words could also lead to a decrease in the quality of posts. Users may feel that they need to rush through their thoughts in order to meet the word limit, which could result in poorly written or incomplete posts. This could make it more difficult for other users to understand the content of the post, and could lead to confusion or misunderstandings. Thirdly, limiting the number of words could also stifle creativity and innovation. Users may feel that they are unable to explore complex topics or ideas within the given word limit, which could prevent them from sharing new and interesting perspectives with the community. This could ultimately lead to a lack of diversity in the content posted on the forum, which could make it less interesting and engaging for users. Finally, it is worth noting that limiting the number of words could also be seen as a form of censorship. By restricting the amount of content that users are allowed to post, forum moderators could be seen as limiting free speech and expression. This could lead to a loss of trust and respect from the community, which could ultimately harm the reputation of the forum. In conclusion, while there may be some benefits to limiting the number of words allowable on a forum, such as reducing spam or improving readability, there are also several potential drawbacks that should be considered. Ultimately, it is up to the forum moderators to decide whether or not to implement such a limit, and to carefully weigh the pros and cons before doing so.

- Bing Chat, providing a long winded answer

My work here is done.  Thank you bing chat!

/me steps back into shadows, vanishing from the thread.

Wasn't thinking sms short, but some limit of like 10 or 20 K wouldn't be unreasonable, and you can always do part 2, but since i'm the only one bringing it up, perhaps its not really necessary

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Wasn't thinking sms short, but some limit of like 10 or 20 K wouldn't be unreasonable, and you can always do part 2, but since i'm the only one bringing it up, perhaps its not really necessary

There should be a setting for it, but this is an Invision forum, so I did a little digging and apparently there is no way to set a character limit on Invision forums anymore. 

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/420254-limit-post-size/

10-20k is way more than what is needed for this forum. 5k would likely be more than enough.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:03 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

it seems a bit harder to do that on my phone

There’s a lot of problems with the mobile version of the forum from my experience, like getting stuck in quote boxes and not being able to edit outside of them.

Or not being able to “select all”

IMG_1101.jpeg.a7d35030f84fd929b36a8b85764b1b69.jpeg

We also don’t have a trash button like other invision forums do on mobile?

IMG_1102.thumb.jpeg.25c1179b766ffc68da3af46e81fcd418.jpeg

IMG_1103.thumb.jpeg.9b68081070475bb32baae3c67f90f61b.jpeg

which means since you can’t select all, and you can’t tap out of quote boxes, and you can’t delete all…

if you need to delete a quote you need to refresh the page

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, but then we wouldn't get the whole story! \o/

Oh, I bet we would, it just would take up even more space and time to read in a dozen or so consecutive posts, sometimes with other people's posts sprinkled in.

And some replies to such a post group might use multi-quote and thus effectively unite those separate parts of a novella post into one long post, after all, at least if their comments below each quote wouldn't be too long, else... 😂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.