Limit Post Lengths

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I had intended to keep the white background from the copied text, but thought it had gone far enough when I removed the paragraphs to make a wall of text 🙃

I fully support Comic Sans as the typeface of Bing Chat. It should be mandatory!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:06 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Any chance the forums could have a limit on the number of charactors in a post?

I was trying to reply to a post by one the forums long winded posters, I quoted him but only wanted to include the relative part of his post. 

After about 10 minutes of backspacing, and still nowhere near the top, I gave up.

I would like the opposite. When someone posts such a long original post, only posters willing to respond with a book-length response complete with emboldened sub-titles and paragraphs should be allowed to comment. 

It takes all sorts to make a world.

I liked Stella's orange hued font. Sorry to the dark mode people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

Oh, I bet we would, it just would take up even more space and time to read in a dozen or so consecutive posts, sometimes with other people's posts sprinkled in.

And some replies to such a post group might use multi-quote and thus effectively unite those separate parts of a novella post into one long post, after all, at least if their comments below each quote wouldn't be too long, else... 😂

I can't remember if it was here or another forum. But  there was something where there would be a thread where everyone had to quote the person before them, then respond..After awhile it ended up being like this really deep window of quotes, that looked like you were in a house of mirrors looking off into infinity..lol

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The forum platform (Invision) does have the capabilities built in. On a amateur radio board I used to Mod on, one of the categories had that engaged since it was meant to put only your amateur call sign in. The function can be area specific or the whole forum.

It's been years since I messed with Invision, but I think the character limit is a rather moot point anyway since there are those who have run into it on the SL forums a few times over the years.

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can't remember if it was here or another forum. But  there was something where there would be a thread where everyone had to quote the person before them, then respond..After awhile it ended up being like this really deep window of quotes, that looked like you were in a house of mirrors looking off into infinity..lol

It was a "game" we used to play to see how many imbedded quotes it took before it wouldn't quote any more.

Good times.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 4:06 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Any chance the forums could have a limit on the number of charactors in a post?

I was trying to reply to a post by one the forums long winded posters, I quoted him but only wanted to include the relative part of his post.

"So the maples formed a union

and demanded equal rights

They say "The oaks are just too greedy

we will make them give us light!"

Now there's no more oak oppression

For they passed a noble law

And the trees are all kept equal

by hatchet, axe, and saw..." -Rush, "The Trees"

If more than 120 words presents a challenge for you, may I suggest Twitter as an alternative?

Edited by Harper Held
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/16/2023 at 11:09 PM, Marigold Devin said:

I liked Stella's orange hued font. Sorry to the dark mode people

Yes!

Not necessarily a strictly dark mode person, things like light yellow or grey font on white used to annoy me enough to skip those posts, but I became older and milder, now, I just mark them like for quoting, and then can usually read them comfortably, when I feel like bothering.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.