Spam, False Keywords

FelicityPage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, if I do a search on Marketplace for things like "free gift" or "freebie" etc and the items that come up for more than L$0 or L$1 and I want to flag them.. and I go to View Page Source, where do I find the keywords there? Listings are coming up as not free or more than $L1 but I am not finding "free gift" or "freebie" in the page source? If I still flag these, is that okay or will I get reprimanded since the keywords are not found in the page source? Or am I missing something?

24 minutes ago, FelicityPage said:

and I go to View Page Source, where do I find the keywords there?

Just hit ctrl + F whilst viewing the page source (in most browsers) and type in 'keywords' and it'll show.

8dac1f47b1dd011e21215db1ecde415e.png

Some interesting choices for a $1,195 prison jumpsuit indeed! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Maybe this is common practice, but why does Marketplace hide under a meta tag the keywords supplied by merchants? Shouldn't customers get to see the SEO scammers without having to show page source?

Mhhmmm. I was surprised to find some popular brands that were putting in "freebie" "dollarbie" on their listings when they were over L$200

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Maybe this is common practice, but why does Marketplace hide under a meta tag the keywords supplied by merchants? Shouldn't customers get to see the SEO scammers without having to show page source?

I'm pretty annoyed by that on RL market places, too. On Amazon, for example, if you want to buy a "cotton" something, while it's officially not allowed to use misleading keywords, you might get to see lots of anything-but-cotton somethings, even whole pages of them, before an actual cotton something. Now, in some cases, that's due to them stealthily incorporating "cotton" in form of "not made of cotton but of 100% polyester for longevity and easy care" in the visible parts of the listing (so that you can't even flag them as misleading), but often it's not, and the customer can't see the "backend keywords".

If you could easily see them, it might make some people decide against supporting keyword spamming practices, and buy from those who don't, and it might make brands/sellers rethink enough to make a dent and give people an easier time actually getting hits for what they are searching for. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I've long maintained that LL doesn't really hate (and may kind of like) scams and fraud on their platforms.

Taking action against them would absolutely cut into the profits.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I've long maintained that LL doesn't really hate (and may kind of like) scams and fraud on their platforms.

Taking action against them would absolutely cut into the profits.

In this case, though, surely they sell less through Marketplace because searching it is so gawdawful, don't they? At least for me, I avoid Marketplace unless I know exactly the product I seek, only resort to Marketplace if I can't find it at the creator's store, and then only from the "Merchants/Stores" tab because searching by item description is invariably swamped by garbage.

If there's not already an open jira about this, I'd be willing to file one, but I've often opined that they should tear the whole thing down and start from scratch,, so I may not be the most credible author. (There's a jira from 2010 about this that was automatically closed when the Lab shuffled bug categories in 2013. There are pages and pages of jiras matching "Marketplace AND keywords" but mostly from sellers whining their secret keywords somehow missed driving their item to the top 50K or some damned thing.)

• Like 1

It will partly depend on how much free time I have but as a general rule I don't hesitate to report an item for key word spam.

I would love to know what happens when we flag an item. Do the Lindens have the time to review flagged items? Or is this effort just getting sucked into the black hole of futility? I would love it if a Linden would weigh in on what happens after we flag an item.

• Like 2

I used to heavily shop on the Marketplace because inworld shops are too overwhelming for me, too many things to look at, hard for me to focus. Now, when I do Marketplace searches, it's horrible. So, yep, I am flagging listings with unrelated keywords. No shame. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

If there's not already an open jira about this, I'd be willing to file one

Every JIRA I've ever opened regarding the marketplace is instantly closed the reply is always to either attend the web meetings in world (the ones I'd have to take time off work to attend) or that they simply can't do it, it's beyond their abilities.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Every JIRA I've ever opened regarding the marketplace is instantly closed the reply is always to either attend the web meetings in world (the ones I'd have to take time off work to attend) or that they simply can't do it, it's beyond their abilities.

That is frustrating!
I wonder what happens if someone actually does attend the web meetings, do they get flushed into a shark pool?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

That is frustrating!
I wonder what happens if someone actually does attend the web meetings, do they get flushed into a shark pool?

why would they change something while sellers abuse it, users keep paying? 
There are thousends of well working webshops .. and however it's not just this one malfunctioning, most users would avoid it if that would be possible, thats the only language they would listen to.

The multiple conversations here on the forums, including the ones that pull the ropes, showed in the past years they have no interest.
And yes, if you go on about it, the sharks will bite you in the bum sooner or later with lame help and answers.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 8:29 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Yes it should show the keywords.

A very nice person here gave me a tampermonkey script that fixes this but it should be something MP just does.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 9:38 AM, InnerCity Elf said:

I'm pretty annoyed by that on RL market places, too. On Amazon, for example, if you want to buy a "cotton" something, while it's officially not allowed to use misleading keywords, you might get to see lots of anything-but-cotton somethings, even whole pages of them, before an actual cotton something. Now, in some cases, that's due to them stealthily incorporating "cotton" in form of "not made of cotton but of 100% polyester for longevity and easy care" in the visible parts of the listing (so that you can't even flag them as misleading), but often it's not, and the customer can't see the "backend keywords".

If you could easily see them, it might make some people decide against supporting keyword spamming practices, and buy from those who don't, and it might make brands/sellers rethink enough to make a dent and give people an easier time actually getting hits for what they are searching for. 

Amazon is amongst the worst. I mean there's probably worse but for such a big site it's absurd how poor the search is, it's nearly impossible to properly search. Ebay is getting pretty bad as well but can usually still be tamed.

Amazon though... good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I know. And yet, hope springs eternal: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-234720

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Me, who sells on SL Marketplace use only these keywords: shape, brand head,model of the head,brand body, avatar,female,petite,slender,demo if it's the demo version of the shape. Nothing more or less

From one of my listings...

<meta name="keywords" content="Lelutka, EvoX, Lily, Maitreya, Lara, Bento, Shape, Asian"/>

What else would you need in a shape listing? Stuff like curvy, I just put the listing in the 'curvy' sub category.

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

What else would you need in a shape listing?

If you haven't put both 'petite' and 'curvy' in the keywords you're not doing it right! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/26/2023 at 11:35 PM, FelicityPage said:

I used to heavily shop on the Marketplace because inworld shops are too overwhelming for me, too many things to look at, hard for me to focus. Now, when I do Marketplace searches, it's horrible. So, yep, I am flagging listings with unrelated keywords. No shame. 

Good luck, I flagged a bunch of stuff months ago, like at least 50-60 items that weren't related to the search. I checked the other day, still flagged, no action taken.

I personally think you should get to choose one key word, a brand name, colour and a category.

So you could search Maitreya black pants and get Maitreya black pants. Not Jimmy Furballs panties with a suspicious looking bulge in bright neon orange.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.