What Would You Like to Remove From Second Life Permanently?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why? Because they serve no purpose in a platform where you can't join if you are under 16.

Under 16s aren't the only ones, however, who are served by G rated sims. There are lots of adults who, for whatever reason (and no, I'm not one of them) don't want to be exposed to nudity, racy language, etc. Why are they any less deserving of their "own" areas than those who want Adult?

24 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Plus G sims are an AR waiting to happen for anyone that ventures onto one.

The answer to this, surely, is the same as what one might give to someone protesting about activities in an A rated area.

Don't go there, then.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Suppose I make a rule that there's no nudity allowed on a Zindra parcel of mine. I can ban anybody who doesn't comply because it's my parcel and I can do as I like. Can't AR anybody but still I can make it arbitrarily intolerant of folks who dare go skinny-dipping off my dock.

I could do that, but it would make visiting my little corner of Zindra pretty unpredictable for nudists. Zindra landowners don't often have such rules. Why not? Because: why own Adult land if you're going to impose G-rated rules. That's why there's G-rated land.

I.e., that's why there's G-rated land.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Those 'covered with love-juice' things. I don't care about what people do behind closed doors, but walking around in public spaces covered in spunk is plain disgusting. Doesn't make you appear sexy or kinky, just plain feculent. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Orwar said:

Those 'covered with love-juice' things. I don't care about what people do behind closed doors, but walking around in public spaces covered in spunk is plain disgusting. Doesn't make you appear sexy or kinky, just plain feculent. 

Sometimes one forgets to wash it off and since we usually view our avatars from behind, sometimes it's missed. But yeah, when I see people walking around like this, I aggressively roll my eyes. 

• Like 1

In regards to the whole "Zero second security orbs VS vehicles" thing, I think there is a misunderstanding on what is intended here:

Personally, I am against zero second security orbs, if someone is exploring, sometimes they may not know they wondered into someone's private land, being told "Turn around or be ejected" is much nicer than being teleported home and having to go back to where they were. If they refuse, I completely understand having the orb eject-ban them as well.

There are also weird scenarios like this, if I asked you, where does Linden Public Land ends and my land begin?image.jpeg.19c6898c30d68bb9d605bbcd452dc7b2.jpeg

If you answered at the end of the side walk, you'd be wrong!:

image.jpeg.3a906f3c8b46a1b5402f383139472e7d.jpeg

Now suppose you were walking down this side walk, and suddenly just got yeeted back to your home. That wouldn't be very fun would it?

Scenarios like this can be found in many places around mainland.

As for vehicles, as someone who has drove vehicles on mainland, I can tell you, no one is wanting to drive into your private property, people actively try to avoid this. Everyone wants to stay on the road, but sometimes Second Life doesn't allow that. Sometimes the region will lag and physics will try to compensate for the lag, and make people over correct and turn into someone's property, or not even allow them to stop or steer, and end up in someone's property. The 30 second "Turn around or be ejected" allows for them to get their vehicles out of the area and continue on driving. Getting ejected immediately and having their vehicle returned means that they have to go find somewhere they can actually rez their vehicle and try to return to where they were.

It isn't a "entitled to drive on your land" issue, it's more of a "Second Life gets laggy, and anyone who has been here knows it, it'd be nice to not have to be immediately ejected for having the wheel taking out of your hands for 2-5 seconds while the region catches up with the physics engine." type issue.

Now if people are off-roading onto your land, that I can understand. I personally welcome people on my land, but like, there is a limit of "being welcome to visit" and "being disrespectful".

Air vehicles are much more difficult with this, because there isn't a road. Often people will be high enough to not even see it. But personally I don't see the harm in it if people aren't like, parking in mid air on your land, are only there for as much as they need to(EG: the speed of the vehicle), and most importantly aren't crashing into skyboxes.

I could also completely understand the more advanced security orbs which do bounding box checks, say if someone is quite obviously inside a skybox and the only way they could have gotten inside the skybox is to have forced themself into there. This scenario I can understand people being immediately ejected, because not only is it hard for a plane to get into this scenario(Physics would otherwise prevent them in most cases), but also they intentionally are trying to get in.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

In regards to the whole "Zero second security orbs VS vehicles" thing, I think there is a misunderstanding on what is intended here:

Personally, I am against zero second security orbs, if someone is exploring, sometimes they may not know they wondered into someone's private land, being told "Turn around or be ejected" is much nicer than being teleported home and having to go back to where they were. If they refuse, I completely understand having the orb eject-ban them as well.

There are also weird scenarios like this, if I asked you, where does Linden Public Land ends and my land begin?image.jpeg.19c6898c30d68bb9d605bbcd452dc7b2.jpeg

If you answered at the end of the side walk, you'd be wrong!:

image.jpeg.3a906f3c8b46a1b5402f383139472e7d.jpeg

Now suppose you were walking down this side walk, and suddenly just got yeeted back to your home. That wouldn't be very fun would it?

Scenarios like this can be found in many places around mainland.

As for vehicles, as someone who has drove vehicles on mainland, I can tell you, no one is wanting to drive into your private property, people actively try to avoid this. Everyone wants to stay on the road, but sometimes Second Life doesn't allow that. Sometimes the region will lag and physics will try to compensate for the lag, and make people over correct and turn into someone's property, or not even allow them to stop or steer, and end up in someone's property. The 30 second "Turn around or be ejected" allows for them to get their vehicles out of the area and continue on driving. Getting ejected immediately and having their vehicle returned means that they have to go find somewhere they can actually rez their vehicle and try to return to where they were.

It isn't a "entitled to drive on your land" issue, it's more of a "Second Life gets laggy, and anyone who has been here knows it, it'd be nice to not have to be immediately ejected for having the wheel taking out of your hands for 2-5 seconds while the region catches up with the physics engine." type issue.

Now if people are off-roading onto your land, that I can understand. I personally welcome people on my land, but like, there is a limit of "being welcome to visit" and "being disrespectful".

Air vehicles are much more difficult with this, because there isn't a road. Often people will be high enough to not even see it. But personally I don't see the harm in it if people aren't like, parking in mid air on your land, are only there for as much as they need to(EG: the speed of the vehicle), and most importantly aren't crashing into skyboxes.

I could also completely understand the more advanced security orbs which do bounding box checks, say if someone is quite obviously inside a skybox and the only way they could have gotten inside the skybox is to have forced themself into there. This scenario I can understand people being immediately ejected, because not only is it hard for a plane to get into this scenario(Physics would otherwise prevent them in most cases), but also they intentionally are trying to get in.

Yeah I think this kind of orb should be banned from mainland. There are so many private islands that give total privacy. No need to ever interact with another resident. Why these antisocial types buy land on mainland is beyond me. The only reason I can think of is to grief people who like to explore and elevate their own sense of importance and righteousness in the process. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Why these antisocial types buy land on mainland is beyond me. 

Because mainland is cheaper that private regions, that's one reason.  I'm sure quite a few mainlanders would happily move to a private region to get their required level of privacy, IF they could afford it. 

As is usual with these kind of topics, very few people actually take the time to understand all the possible reasons why someone does something a certain way.. its much easier to just group them all together collectively and insult them 9_9

• Like 6

The "love juice" thing reminded me of something I wish would be banned.

People getting spanked and making orgasmic sounds in shopping areas, especially the ones that sound like they're children.

Now if they do it once or twice, fine.  But it seems like these people have them on auto-repeat.  Nobody wants to listen to that while shopping. I have muted/blocked so many people for doing this.  I also tend to get annoyed with the cigarette lighter sound. As often as it repeats, these people must be chain-smoking so much they'll be dead next week if they were in RL. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Because mainland is cheaper that private regions, that's one reason.  I'm sure quite a few mainlanders would happily move to a private region to get their required level of privacy, IF they could afford it.

Exactly this. I pay US$60 / month for my 1/4 mainland sim tier connected to Blake and get 5600+ LI. I am also Premium Plus and could get a homestead and would like to for privacy, but as you noted that would be less LI and more $ per month. If LL offered a 10,000 LI homestead at $149 then I might be more tempted. Hence, mainland.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

This topic has brought up an unexpected question for me. I really enjoy checking out other people's home decor by camming into their houses. It gives me ideas for what to do with my own house and tells me about shops I might not have ever visited. Said houses are pretty much always empty and I don't care about looking at people.

Am I a dirty, nasty, privacy-violating decor-inspo-stealing perv?

• Like 4

On 11/23/2023 at 8:55 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Things to remove completely from SL: people who get their jollies from "looking inside" homes that would otherwise be "private".

Just ewwwww.

Nothing is real, therefore nothing is 'private'.  If you wouldn't do or say it in front of your grandmother... don't do it in SL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 11/23/2023 at 10:10 PM, steeljane42 said:

you and people with your mindset.

Nice offensive generalisation that probably breaks the rules somewhere.  

If you don't want to run into other people... don't play an online game.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

This topic has brought up an unexpected question for me. I really enjoy checking out other people's home decor by camming into their houses. It gives me ideas for what to do with my own house and tells me about shops I might not have ever visited. Said houses are pretty much always empty and I don't care about looking at people.

Am I a dirty, nasty, privacy-violating decor-inspo-stealing perv?

No.  If you're specifically looking inside a home to spy on someone then that could be considered wrong, although I don't think it's against any particular rules otherwise the facility wouldn't exist.  It's very easy to check the mini map and make sure nobody is home.

Most people don't bother with learning to be creative and just buy stuff off the marketplace for their 'digital home', so why wouldn't you want to buy the same from the marketplace for your home?  It's no different from going to Walmart or some other supermarket and buying exactly the same thing hundreds of thousands of others around the country have bought for their home.  I like creating stuff, but if I need something I'll always check marketplace first with keywords to see what's out there, and if I can buy it for L$50 instead of spending 2 hours making it, I'll gladly support others by purchasing it.

Too many people seem to be utterly paranoid about 'online privacy' when no such thing exists.

10 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

Nothing is real, therefore nothing is 'private'.  If you wouldn't do or say it in front of your grandmother... don't do it in SL.

please don't hijack certain advices for your own goals, it makes people laugh ... the saying with the grandmother is nearly always only used for General Regions, néver for SL in total.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

please don't hijack certain advices for your own goals, it makes people laugh ... the saying with the grandmother is nearly always only used for General Regions, néver for SL in total.

I'm not sure what you think "my goals" are - simply a reminder of basic truths really. 

Personally, I think the adult side of SL has done far more damage over the years than good; who knows how much better and busier it might be here if people hadn't been driven away by it.  I've managed 18 years in SL without needing to resort to 'adult content' to enjoy it.  

Maybe it's just a cultural thing.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

People who don't get that the Madlands is a shared space with all that this implies. Seriously, just because you own a parcel of actual real land doesn't mean you get to fire a Bofors at every airliner that flies over. Same deal on the Madlands.

Oh and low frame rates. Get that tf outta my eyeballs. The PBR preview viewers seem to be a step in the right direction there though. 😄

12 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

That is an odd thing to me. I would have thought that an attempt to cam into someone's home through the walls would stop at the walls as is the case in many video games. Sure you can peek in windows that are uncovered, and if someone's left a door open get in camming that way, but walls should be solid, no?

the camera controls enabling panning, zooming, etc inside, outside and all sides are designed to enable building. And as such are incompatible with privacy

I don't think there is a way to cater for both objectives in the same space simultaneously insofar as camera controls go

privacy could be done but as no-render zones similar to avatar visibility. Might have to be restricted to objects above say 3000m tho, as the ground could end up as a featureless wasteland if the restriction weren't applied to above some height level. Ages ago Somebody Linden did a test on this and seems was feasible to do from a technical pov, but I dunno what happened to the idea since

Random eye movement, I feel like that should be an addition not a built in feature by default.

Also the default AO is just… eh? I know it’s meant to be “eh” but surely LL can afford to throw money at one of the AO creators to buy one and make it a universal default, just something a little more detailed. 

1 hour ago, Lewis Nerd said:

Nothing is real, therefore nothing is 'private'.

The people are real -- we aren't NPCs inhabiting your "game."

What we do, the connections we make, the interactions in which we engage, the experiences we have, and the memories we retain, are all "real."

Or perhaps you'd like to upload a full and unexpurgated copy of all of your chat transcripts for us to peruse?

After all, they're not "real," right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Yeah I think this kind of orb should be banned from mainland.

You are entitled to your opinion.

MY opinion is that anti-privacy griefers who repeat offend by comiting ToS violating harassment  against parcel owners, should be banned from Mainland.

Why these antisocial types buy land on mainland is beyond me

Maybe they wanted a home that let them use their premium subscription tier free allowance, to lower additional costs, so they could have a place to CALL THEIR OWN.

The only reason I can think of is to grief people who like to explore and elevate their own sense of importance and righteousness in the process. 

Again, thats your ill-considered opinion.

Mine is that the only reason why people with access to a couple of thousand unrestricted sailing and flying regions covered in roads, would DEMAND entry into my humble little parcel in the middle of nowhere, is because they are over-entitled griefer trash who deserve to be banned from the Grid.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.