What Would You Like to Remove From Second Life Permanently?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

People who assume that all land can be tera-formed above water level, when often it can't.

People who complain if you CAN tera-form your private water into private land, as they STILL can't sail in it as if they owned it, which they don't.

I guess people with waterfront could rezz a giant invisible prim along their property line. That way the boat would hit it and bounce off,  and the sailor, never actually crossing the property line wont get sent home. 

😬

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

No, you are the one NOT "getting it". It's simple, parking your ass in a boat does NOT give you a "right" to enter private property against the wishes of the property owner.

That's it.

It doesn't matter WHY they don't want you there, all that matters is they don't.

I never entered your property or anyone else's. I think one time months ago I was sent home when I sailed past a house. Shrugs, you seem too upset by the whole thing. I think maybe you are angry because you know I'm right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I guess people with waterfront could rezz a giant invisible prim along their property line. That way the boat would hit it and bounce off,  and the sailor, never actually crossing the property line wont get sent home. 

😬

Just throw up the banlines and then "AR, Mute, Derender" when they spam your IMs to complain that your banlines protected them from the "Zero Second Punt & Ban" orb.

Also. Why should home owners have to WASTE their LI allowance pandering to people who can't take a hint.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

1 minute ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I think maybe you are angry because you know I'm right.

I'm not angry, and I KNOW you are WRONG.

2 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I never entered your property or anyone else's. I think one time months ago I was sent home when I sailed past a house.

If it's not a problem, why are you complaining about it?

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Over-entitled Special Snowflakes who seriously believe their "right to have fun" allows them to treat private property as a public amusement park, and harass the property owners, because THEIR "fun" is more important than the people they harass.

There's over 500 regions of sailable water in the old intercontinental seas, plus the "connect the continents" waterways, and the maritime areas of Belli, all public access.

Belli has a VAST network of public roads for car enthusiasts, again all public access.

But you seem to think you are being hard done by, because you can't sail in somebody's beach front dock, or drive through somebody's garden.

How exactly are you "fun deprived" with all that, because I won't let you park a car in my living room, or crash aa plane into my roof?

I was talking about the public waterways. Zalificent I feel like I'm going mad here. You're arguing about something totally different to what I'm talking about. I have to go to sleep. I usually love your posts. I have no idea what's going on right now with you. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I was talking about the public waterways. Zalificent I feel like I'm going mad here.

If it's a public waterway, you CAANNOT get punted by their orb, if you can get punted by their orb, it's NOT PUBLIC.

Fraudulently claiming that they were "teleported home by an evil orb while on public land/water" is one of the reasons vehicle fanatics get no sympathy.

There was a post n another thread where somebody claimed they were kicked while going PAST somebody's land, when the reality was they HAD to be going THROUGH for the orb to kick them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Over-entitled Special Snowflakes who seriously believe their "right to have fun" allows them to treat private property as a public amusement park, and harass the property owners, because THEIR "fun" is more important than the people they harass.

There's over 500 regions of sailable water in the old intercontinental seas, plus the "connect the continents" waterways, and the maritime areas of Belli, all public access.

Belli has a VAST network of public roads for car enthusiasts, again all public access.

But you seem to think you are being hard done by, because you can't sail in somebody's beach front dock, or drive through somebody's garden.

How exactly are you "fun deprived" with all that, because I won't let you park a car in my living room, or crash aa plane into my roof?

While I mostly agree with being able to keep people out of your private area, there are a few things I've noticed when boating around various areas.  It's not that I intended to land in your living room.  I swear.  I don't feel at all entitled to be there...at all.   I have, however, been flung into someone's parcel during a sim crossing.   Luckily, I wasn't ejected back home but was able to take my boat back, move to open water, and try again.

I drive on mainland more than boat.  Yep, I've ended up in someone's front yard inadvertently.  No, I don't think I'm entitled, I'm not a snowflake either but I do appreciate having a few seconds to back myself out.  I drive slowly.  I'm not racing around anywhere but sometimes, those dang sim crossings mess me up.  Being sent back to the edge of said property is much nicer than being tossed home or god knows where.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I drive slowly.  I'm not racing around anywhere but sometimes, those dang sim crossings mess me up

I custom set MY zero second orb, to allow people upto 2 m of intrusion across the line, in case of slight steering fails, etc. But the ones who IM that they were 37 m into my parcel, and got punted, tough luck on them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Just throw up the banlines and then "AR, Mute, Derender" when they spam your IMs to complain that your banlines protected them from the "Zero Second Punt & Ban" orb.

Also. Why should home owners have to WASTE their LI allowance pandering to people who can't take a hint.

on the other hand, u can enable life on your parcel, then sit on your rooftop with a sniper rifle and take them out as they cross onto your parcel.

I wanted to do that one time with that linden gold hunt thing, but the parcel owner thought we might get in trouble, since we would have “invited” them there in the first place 😂

2 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I was talking about the public waterways. Zalificent I feel like I'm going mad here. You're arguing about something totally different to what I'm talking about. I have to go to sleep. I usually love your posts. I have no idea what's going on right now with you. 

There's no reasoning with the Kevin Monahans of the grid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

While I mostly agree with being able to keep people out of your private area, there are a few things I've noticed when boating around various areas.  It's not that I intended to land in your living room.  I swear.  I don't feel at all entitled to be there...at all.   I have, however, been flung into someone's parcel during a sim crossing.

I drive on mainland more than boat.  Yep, I've ended up in someone's front yard inadvertently.

Thus why over time I've mellowed my stance on "get them freaks off my lawn".

Because most things have nuance. And standing in the extremes - even when that my side of an extreme, just makes it impossible for people to get along and get things done.

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Everyone that disagrees with me.

Oh wait...

SL would be dead then.

😄

Yeah. :)

Thus, we learn to see nuance and make compromises. And then at some point we find that even though we strongly disagree on the letter 'A', we kinda might like each other when it comes to B-Z, which is a bigger part of the alphabet ;)

Everybody's got their thing though - where they fail to see nuance for a bit because something has hit one of their buttons.

I miss the days when we were able to forget.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The mentions of bots in this thread are interesting. I never really see or notice them myself. But I know they’re there.

Ages ago Smallworlds (now dead) had these built in bots you could buy and program, usually just referred to as NPC’s.

IMG_0762.webp.42f5735d435fb830c184a5e771ca8979.webp

I know there’s a few people who remember smallworlds here who probably know what I’m talking about. You could dress them up and name them like players but they have yellow chat bubbles to indicate they’re a bot. They could be programmed as basic as parrots or could realistically and without too much effort, play mini games, chat with people or each other, use items, etc. So they were handled on the games end like a player. 
I could really see SL benefitting from something like that. People used those NPCs in Missions (user made quests) to give them a bit more character. Or as additions to spaces like bartenders for example. 
Depending on how much time you worked on them to feed them conversational trees, which was pretty easy just not automated like AI is now, you could get them to be pretty visually smart. The game had their own NPCs in a few places but Lucy in the Infohub was some developers passion project I presume because Lucy you could hold full on legitimate feeling conversations with, just because they spent so much time on their interactions.

SL should have something like that, something that bridges the gap between player and item, like an official bot, within the realms of linden labs control to make them less demanding on the server than players, but still offering the utility of bots. And now with decent AI services out there it wouldn’t be that hard to get them mostly automated to do what you want even more novice users.

As far as what I want to see removed from SL, I’m also up there with low resolution grass textures. It just looks bad and most importantly looks dated, I think replacing all the stock terrain materials with higher resolution versions across the game would make everything in general look much nicer. You got these super nice high resolution lawn chairs and avatars that rival the complexity of AAA game character design standing on the grass from duke nukem 3D.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

They wouldn't bother me if they were set to repeat a LOT more or something so they weren't so low-rez. Back in 2003 I imagine they looked cool, but in 2023 it's like we're walking around as fine art models on top of crayon drawings. ;)

Come now! I love that blue toxic waste soil texture in Heterocera called "coral" or something -- I use it on apocalyptic sets all the time. The only mainland I don't like and never buy is that really beat up one with the brown dirt that looks like an old baseball field. I like the pink mountain, granite, etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

Example

grass2.png.449f1adf6da921fca58387baaaa66c9e.png

I dont even know if this is intentional, or a bug. But i see other people have a similar look at the stock terrain so its like... why?

Oh... I had no idea that dial was there. It's shaper looking the lower you dial that.

On the right is a mesh road piece that had a texture you could download and overlay on top of terrain textures to make a piece that would match your local terrain. I had scaled the terrain texture out to be that blurry to match what the ground looked like on the default setting.

On the left, I've just set the scale to 3 and relogged. Now it's more defined. Going down to '1' was too intense.

Screenshot2023-11-21171203.png.2d89d54eb8e26a0ea4dd9fbf57ce59d5.png

I will have to remake that road texture...

The downside of doing this however is that mole made landscaping is now jarringly obvious:

Screenshot2023-11-21171740.thumb.png.087be497f1fb46d1011dcdcfd1ca7ecd.png

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2

I think clothing needs to be deleted, completely, all of it, banned from existence.

The way the clothing works for each individual avatar body is rather sad, just delete all clothing until items can be made to fit all avatars, make an item and it fits everyone, then bring clothing back.

But until then ban all clothing in Second Life!

And because that will never happen... ban all clothing Permanently!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheVeryFirst said:

I think clothing needs to be deleted, completely, all of it, banned from existence.

The way the clothing works for each individual avatar body is rather sad, just delete all clothing until items can be made to fit all avatars, make an item and it fits everyone, then bring clothing back.

But until then ban all clothing in Second Life!

And because that will never happen... ban all clothing Permanently!

It used to be that way when it was just system avatars, then we got 3rd party standard mesh and then 3rd party mesh bodies that have to have things specifically rigged for each one.. or you could just use the system layer clothing.. that will fit on all bodies that are Bom ready..

That's about the only way to do it really.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.