Breedable farms?

UnilWay SpiritWeaver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

So what exactly qualifies an item as a breedable? I just bought one of those Potted plant things you can water because the design was cute. The hovertext is off, I just like it as a decoration. Can I only have two of those at my house since they're able to produce seeds? 

Plantpets? 

The plant parts are temporarily rezzed above the planters so that the plants are not to be subtracted from the prims available on land. 

Land cannot contain temp rezzers in Bellisseria.

The way the rules describe them is: "Excessively overt or system resource-intensive interactive systems consisting of in-world scripted objects that communicate with one another to procreate (e.g. breedables) or grow (e.g. farming) to produce other products or consumables"

In plain language, it grows and produces seeds for more plants, so it's one of those. The rule isn't about how they look or what they're supposed to be (plant, animal, fungus, rock, default plywood cube, unknowable cosmic horror, etc). It's about what they do.

PlantPets are temp rez, though I'm not sure about Potted. I've seen enough PlantPets at people's houses to say that I don't think they've really been enforcing it, though I've avoided placing them out regardless. I do place food givers and those are temp rezzers for the most part, which can end up with the temp items on the ground if people refuse the attachments. That's another kettle of fish though. A lot more things do some temp rezzing than people think.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, vahiti Yiwama said:

Plantpets? 

The plant parts are temporarily rezzed above the planters so that the plants are not to be subtracted from the prims available on land. 

Land cannot contain temp rezzers in Bellisseria.

Nah, not Plantpets and not a temp rezzer. It's just a plant you water that grows and apparently once it matures, you get a seed. So they don't breed with one another, you can have a single plant and it will still give you a seed provided it's been watered. I don't fully understand the whole system, I just thought it was cute. 

52768443438_3a59e738f0_z.jpg.abae4746a00213b6e80617aca31611d6.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Nah, not Plantpets and not a temp rezzer. It's just a plant you water that grows and apparently once it matures, you get a seed. So they don't breed with one another, you can have a single plant and it will still give you a seed provided it's been watered. I don't fully understand the whole system, I just thought it was cute. 

52768443438_3a59e738f0_z.jpg.abae4746a00213b6e80617aca31611d6.jpg

Okay, trying again on the plain language. They do complex script stuff (grow) and they produce a resource (a seed). They count under the rules. They don't actually have to breed in the sense of sexual reproduction, as the rule covers anything from systems like that to farming systems to things people haven't come up with yet.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

Okay, trying again on the plain language. They do complex script stuff (grow) and they produce a resource (a seed). They count under the rules. They don't actually have to breed in the sense of sexual reproduction, as the rule covers anything from systems like that to farming systems to things people haven't come up with yet.

Do they?

Someone edit one and check. If it's all one prim and "growing" is just setting parts that were transparent to now be visible then not much would be going on.

What's the "seed" do? Let you have another one or is it just a "harmless" unscripted object.

EDIT: Went to their store, and checked their FAQ, and they're defiantly a breedable.

The actual plant does seem to be a prim that changes what's transparent over time to do it's thing - but it's pack with a pile of scripts.

The FAQ says you get seeds over time to grow new plants. There's a group for trading them, and as is typical for breedables: the plants are no-copy.

They do look nice though. Last time I played around with 'breedables' was with Meeroos which were sculpties and look very dated now.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver

On 10/30/2023 at 7:57 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

Boxes that are unborn and not breeding also have hovertext. That is where you must be getting confused. Many turn on the hovertext to show the traits on a box, because you cannot see all the traits from the picture only.  So, boxes with hovertext are just boxes.  Apparently a box (unborn) kittycat with the hovertext turned on is against the convenant.  Perhaps all hovertext should be banned in Belli. We need to keep the community clean and tidy.

A kittycat that is born can be shown in a 2D state, and also has hovertext, which can be turned on or off.  Some are complaining about boxes with hovertext, which are not breedables yet.  The boxes are legal, but the hovertext is not, even though hovertext visible range is limited and can be adjusted in your viewer.

There are breedable farms where the hovertext on live animals is turned off.  Many breeders just give their cat a name, one line on a tag, such as Mabel.  If you have a box or breedable with Mabel above them, that is violating the Belli covenant.  Does that really seem reasonable? 

Here are 3 boxes (unborn kittycats) on my work platform, from the recent new collection.  I turned on all the tags on the Dragon Water, and only the name tag on the other two.  None are breeders.  I will probably keep them as collectables as they increase in value, and sell them in a few years at an auction. In any case, a tag does not mean it is a live breedable.

b340a2a240604185153a42fa37930cb9.jpg

Well, I'll be a blue nosed gopher! Never knew about box hovertext! Hmmmm... Maybe boxes ARE alive!

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 1:46 PM, Rowan Amore said:

My confusion was why would someone keep a cat in a box if they weren't intending to sell them somehow.  It just doesn't make sense to me to have a pet of any kind still in a box UNLESS your intention is to sell it.  It seems a waste of prims to me.  

Because pictures of kitties make me happy.

Also, I have the mainland prims. If need be they can safely go into inventory (or Cattery).

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Well, I'll be a blue nosed gopher! Never knew about box hovertext! Hmmmm... Maybe boxes ARE alive!

I think you are right.  Inside the unborn box is a Zygote.  It lives forever in the box, but doesn't cause any harm or disturbance outside the box.  

A zygote is a eukaryotic cell formed by a fertilization event between two gametes. The zygote's genome is a combination of the DNA in each gamete, and contains all of the genetic information of a new individual organism. In multicellular organisms, the zygote is the earliest developmental stage.

I say let the Zygotes live in peace, and not be banned from Bellisseria!

And any object can also display a hovertext, even a basic prim.  If you would like to display this banned prim at your LH home, just let me know.  No charge :)

7958fd95af6ded2b4f4a2451339e9329.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:28 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

Even on a ranch parcel, only two animals is ultra stupid.  Belli is fine for animal haters though.

Premium Plus parcels (e.g. ranches) are allowed 4 breedables.

*Excessively overt or system resource-intensive interactive systems consisting of in-world scripted objects that communicate with one another to procreate (e.g. breedables) or grow  (e.g. farming) to produce other products or consumables are only allowed under the following conditions:
    -They are limited to two (2) active units with food/water rezzed out at any given time.
     (Premium Plus Ranch Homes are allowed four (4) active units)

I'm only responding to correct a factual inaccuracy.  Generally, I try to avoid feeding trolls (which I assume is what you're doing here, since you have no interest in living in Belli).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Premium Plus parcels (e.g. ranches) are allowed 4 breedables.

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering if they had increased the limit for Premium Plus members.

If you read this thread from the beginning, you should see that I only answered the OP's question, "what am I looking at."  With 12 years in the breedables business I felt I could do that.  Others just told her to AR the owner.  Not friendly or a useful answer.  I had 3 homes in Belli and had my first Houseboat within 5 hrs of the first opening.  I recommended Belli to many friends. They all left because of the restrictive Convenant.  My friends tend to be more independent and question rules from governments, unlike some countries  That is a tradition in the United States.  That tradition and independence carries over to SL, just a fact.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering if they had increased the limit for Premium Plus members.

If you read this thread from the beginning, you should see that I only answered the OP's question, "what am I looking at."  With 12 years in the breedables business I felt I could do that.  Others just told her to AR the owner.  Not friendly or a useful answer.  I had 3 homes in Belli and had my first Houseboat within 5 hrs of the first opening.  I recommended Belli to many friends. They all left because of the restrictive Convenant.  My friends tend to be more independent and question rules from governments, unlike some countries  That is a tradition in the United States.  That tradition and independence carries over to SL, just a fact.

Your responses have clearly all been from a breedables business owner's perspective.  The ones telling the OP to AR the person violating the covenant are from an average Bellisseria citizen's point of view.  Considering this is the Linden Homes section of the forum, I found the latter to be much more friendly, useful, and on topic.  

I'm glad there are places in SL where people can live without a restrictive covenant.  That means there are fewer people who want to willingly break the rules where I choose to live.  Living with a restrictive covenant is a personal choice.  No one is infringing on anyone's freedoms.  Everyone has the right to live with the covenant or to live where there isn't one. 

There are always going to be people who don't bother to learn the rules or who blatantly refuse to follow them.  That's why the AR system exists, and why Bellisseria residents are encouraged to use it.  

I don't see the connection with national governments or traditions specific to the United States.  As @Rowan Amore stated, there are plenty of places to live in the US with a restrictive covenant...and plenty without.  I have happily lived in both, just as I have in SL.  The governments of most countries are designed to evolve and permit change over time, and the will of the citizens is certainly part of that process. 

Change is needed when an entity has outgrown its rules to the point where they have become unjust. The rules pertaining to breedables exist for reasons that have been explained multiple times.  Those reasons still exist.  They are not unjust, as people have the choice to live elsewhere if they do not wish to abide by them.  Most Bellisserians recognize the benefit of having the restrictive covenant, and choose to live there because it exists rather than in spite of it.  If we all felt the same as you and your many friends, Bellisseria would be a failure instead of the thriving community that it is.  

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Your responses have clearly all been from a breedables business owner's perspective.  The ones telling the OP to AR the person violating the covenant are from an average Bellisseria citizen's point of view.  Considering this is the Linden Homes section of the forum, I found the latter to be much more friendly, useful, and on topic.  

I'm glad there are places in SL where people can live without a restrictive covenant.  That means there are fewer people who want to willingly break the rules where I choose to live.  Living with a restrictive covenant is a personal choice.  No one is infringing on anyone's freedoms.  Everyone has the right to live with the covenant or to live where there isn't one. 

There are always going to be people who don't bother to learn the rules or who blatantly refuse to follow them.  That's why the AR system exists, and why Bellisseria residents are encouraged to use it.  

I don't see the connection with national governments or traditions specific to the United States.  As @Rowan Amore stated, there are plenty of places to live in the US with a restrictive covenant...and plenty without.  I have happily lived in both, just as I have in SL.  The governments of most countries are designed to evolve and permit change over time, and the will of the citizens is certainly part of that process. 

Change is needed when an entity has outgrown its rules to the point where they have become unjust. The rules pertaining to breedables exist for reasons that have been explained multiple times.  Those reasons still exist.  They are not unjust, as people have the choice to live elsewhere if they do not wish to abide by them.  Most Bellisserians recognize the benefit of having the restrictive covenant, and choose to live there because it exists rather than in spite of it.  If we all felt the same as you and your many friends, Bellisseria would be a failure instead of the thriving community that it is.  

My home in RL isn't in an HOA.  The city I live in, however, does have it's own Codes which they do enforce. Most cities do have some sort of regulation if it's a more urban setting.  Out in the more rural communities, where neighbors are few and far between, the rules are fewer and not as readily enforced. 

We were in need of a new lawnmower this spring.   By the time my husband had read 4839537 reviews and made a purchase, we'd already received one letter from the city telling us our grass was too high.  I actually think our neighbor with the lawn care obsession filed an AR.  🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My home in RL isn't in an HOA.  The city I live in, however, does have it's own Codes which they do enforce. Most cities do have some sort of regulation if it's a more urban setting.  Out in the more rural communities, where neighbors are few and far between, the rules are fewer and not as readily enforced. 

We were in need of a new lawnmower this spring.   By the time my husband had read 4839537 reviews and made a purchase, we'd already received one letter from the city telling us our grass was too high.  I actually think our neighbor with the lawn care obsession filed an AR.  🤣 

I'm "fortunate" that I don't have an HOA, am not in a city, and my unincorporated part of my county is VERY lax on rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthieu Quander said:

:                                                   :

Most Bellisserians recognize the benefit of having the restrictive covenant, and choose to live there because it exists rather than in spite of it.  

well said!!!!!

9 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

While I don't crave the taste of meat, I do miss the spirit of a good ol' fashioned Meeroo BBQ...

I once worked for a large breedable store where among the other breedables, such as rocks, tiny people, and Dodo Birds, I had to sell Meeroos. We even rented stalls where you could breed them.  You had the right idea using them as a BBQed meat source. 

The Dodo Birds became extinct lasting about 1 year.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/30/2023 at 1:46 PM, Rowan Amore said:

My confusion was why would someone keep a cat in a box if they weren't intending to sell them somehow.  It just doesn't make sense to me to have a pet of any kind still in a box UNLESS your intention is to sell it.  It seems a waste of prims to me.  

I’m not breeding KittyCats right now, but you don’t need to store boxes inworld. KittyCats have a wonderful online inventory system. Only birthed cats need to be fed in the online inventory. I would only have live cats that I didn’t want to sell anyway. In RL, I have 2 cats that cost an arm and a leg to feed. The novelty of breeding those adorable KittyCats wore off after awhile for me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I once worked for a large breedable store where among the other breedables, such as rocks, tiny people, and Dodo Birds, I had to sell Meeroos. We even rented stalls where you could breed them.  You had the right idea using them as a BBQed meat source. 

The Dodo Birds became extinct lasting about 1 year.

I loved the Dodos! There were even breedable shoes at one point. 😊

Edited by Marisa Starbrook
The usual typos

On 10/21/2023 at 6:27 PM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

What am I looking at here?

Screenshot2023-10-21152502.thumb.png.26baa9a383029ff40735f8c8ee3eb85e.png

This in a home on a nearby region that was occupied just a few days ago. I think these are some kind of breedable - or just the shells for them.

Not sure if this is something to worry about or ignore.

There are boxed .. not active it looks 

5 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

You had the right idea using them as a BBQed meat source.

It wasn't originally my idea.  Someone sold, on The Marketplace, an entire pack of BBQ grills and dead meeroos lol  I can no longer find it on the Marketplace, so I guess I've got a collector's item.

14 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

I haven't done breedables since way back in the day, before I went vegan.  While I don't crave the taste of meat, I do miss the spirit of a good ol' fashioned Meeroo BBQ...

RCV4Profile1.thumb.PNG.8c0dc8bb419334b497e4939bd23bc632.PNG

i prefer them cooked with some spices .. don't like the smell of burning fur :)  (pic made 12yrs ago with a real but sleeping roo, he's one of the first release public generation,  still alive and around these days 4555 days old )
9eb13393fd6eff37f7bbcbf7925b7567.jpg

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.