Breedable farms?

UnilWay SpiritWeaver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:58 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

And any object can also display a hovertext, even a basic prim.  If you would like to display this banned prim at your LH home, just let me know.  No charge :)

7958fd95af6ded2b4f4a2451339e9329.png

So...

The Belli covenant only bans hovertext when it's on a breedable (they don't call it that though, rather they have a definition of a type of object), and even then only when it can be seen from outside the parcel.
- Which is a tricky thing because hovertext's range of visibility seems to be dependent on the viewer's settings and not the text's settings.

The word 'text' appears exactly once in the covenant:

*Excessively overt or system resource-intensive interactive systems consisting of in-world scripted objects that communicate with one another to procreate (e.g. breedables) or grow  (e.g. farming) to produce other products or consumables are only allowed under the following conditions:
    -They are limited to two (2) active units with food/water rezzed out at any given time.
     (Premium Plus Ranch Homes are allowed four (4) active units)
    -Hovertext is OFF or is not visible from outside the parcel.

That said, I suspect the intent is that annoying hovertext would be a problem even if just on a prim.

I had to check this on my own land because I have some vehicles out and they add 'locked' or 'unlocked' hovertext depending - that in the ACS vehicle system I have been unable to find a way to disable...

But thankfully it's fairly unobtrusive in the places I've put out vehicles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

*Excessively overt or system resource-intensive interactive systems consisting of in-world scripted objects that communicate with one another to procreate (e.g. breedables) or grow  (e.g. farming) to produce other products or consumables are only allowed under the following conditions:
    -They are limited to two (2) active units with food/water rezzed out at any given time.
     (Premium Plus Ranch Homes are allowed four (4) active units)
    -Hovertext is OFF or is not visible from outside the parcel.

That said, I suspect the intent is that annoying hovertext would be a problem even if just on a prim.

I had to check this on my own land because I have some vehicles out and they add 'locked' or 'unlocked' hovertext depending - that in the ACS vehicle system I have been unable to find a way to disable...

But thankfully it's fairly unobtrusive in the places I've put out vehicles.

What you quoted makes it seem that the "Hovertext" is only an issue for the "*Excessively overt or system resource-intensive.." etc. items, with examples "e.g. breedables", "e.g. farming".  The implication is, that the "Hovertext" is only a specific issue with regards to those "*Excessively over.." items.

ETA:  If you happened to leave a "box" in your house that happened to have hover text such as, "Unpack me" - I'm sure that's not an issue or what was intended.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

There are general rules about keeping things presentable and not using the home as a sandbox. I doubt that randomly scattering boxes (regardless of what's in the box), or putting hovertext on everything, would fly as actual decorating.

You know the way cats try to rules lawyer everything, so the cats are not really on the table, because they're sitting on paper on the table, which is entirely different because they're not actually touching the table. Don't be cats. That's how we ended up with rules for breedables and seasonal decorations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

There are general rules about keeping things presentable and not using the home as a sandbox. I doubt that randomly scattering boxes (regardless of what's in the box), or putting hovertext on everything, would fly as actual decorating.

You know the way cats try to rules lawyer everything, so the cats are not really on the table, because they're sitting on paper on the table, which is entirely different because they're not actually touching the table. Don't be cats. That's how we ended up with rules for breedables and seasonal decorations.

Yep! And yet, people go bonkers when Lindens and Moles emphasize the "Spirit of the Rules/Covenant".

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 11:15 AM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

The Belli covenant only bans hovertext when it's on a breedable (they don't call it that though, rather they have a definition of a type of object), and even then only when it can be seen from outside the parcel.
- Which is a tricky thing because hovertext's range of visibility seems to be dependent on the viewer's settings and not the text's settings.

Since the Linden's apparently can not tell the difference between a pet and a breedable, they are banning hovertext on any pets also, including pet plants and mushrooms.  It's not clear if they ban hovertext on a box as well.  If someone has their shoe collection in their bedroom, and have labeled the shoes, why are these not also banned?

You can turn off hovertext in your viewer, or limit the distance which it is visible.  Just like you can turn off sounds and audio from nearby parcels.  Strangely you cannot derender annoying objects with the SL viewer, though most 3rd party viewers make this a standard feature.

Here is my hovertext setting. I must be closer than 6 meters to see hovertext.  If you set the top slider to zero, hovertext is invisible.

9576a53bc3bba7ee0edea60eb3c071ea.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 9:24 AM, Arwyn Quandry said:

Speaking of excessively scripted items, I ran across this setup while I was going around today. No clue what the MyStory tablets are supposed to do but I've got a good bet they're probably not kosher with the covenant!

image.thumb.png.2e968774b6a91dc48f71092853fe8978.png

Yeah.

I've seen one other case of someone using their Belli home to run a server farm. My neighbor in fact, AR'd maybe 2 months ago but still there.

There is a specific line in the covenant against doing so.

I am guessing you are looking at something related to breedables, RP, merchant tracking, or a combination (my neighbor is using it to pile on all kinds of marketplace monitoring systems, caspervend things, and some kind of merchant bot that is even listed by it's exact type as a no-no in the covenant, but he's still there).

Those are MyStory tablets being run by an idiot. (I know they are an idiot because those things come in 'discreet' aka invisible versions., and also they have a plywood rug.) I haven't reached crafting level yet but I would imagine they work the same way as plants and animals; you feed in the raw materials you previously bought or grew, and harvest the end product after about 24 hours. So yeah, they're farming, and at that scale it would also count as commercial activity.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.