CasperVend Idiocy ( and theft)

Leatherren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

so the story goes like this...

I was paying another member directly for a purchase,  I was in chat with that particular member, used the link to pay that member.  Paid  and got a message, "thank you for paying Caspervend"   the person did not get the payment.     Strangely enough,   when I attempted it a second time,    same method  same chat.    the payment went through.   I have tried contacting Caspervend, and their response is "you paid the wrong vendor,  we want L$1000 to even look it up .      I would consider this theft, fraud and extortion,      Absolutely useless reps with support .    Pet Peeve is the least of the statements I would use for this 

• Confused 1

1. Residents in this forum cannot resolve any disputes. We can only share what we know about Second Life.

2. Linden dollar transactions happen ONLY between resident accounts. Scripted objects may facilitate the transfer but the lindens are debited from one account and are credited to another.

3. All transactions are logged, as mentioned above by Chaser.

4. If you believe you are the victim of a scam, you should file an Abuse Report on the perp.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2

As others have said you need to view your L$ transaction history as that will tell you the name of the resident you paid. You will need to contact that resident directly as LL will not get involved in resident to resident transactions. 

If you have fallen victim to a scam then I am sorry and it would be best to put it behind you and use it as a learning experience. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Leatherren said:

I was paying another member directly for a purchase,  I was in chat with that particular member, used the link to pay that member.  Paid  and got a message, "thank you for paying Caspervend"   the person did not get the payment.     Strangely enough,   when I attempted it a second time,    same method  same chat.    the payment went through.   I have tried contacting Caspervend, and their response is "you paid the wrong vendor,  we want L$1000 to even look it up .      I would consider this theft, fraud and extortion,      Absolutely useless reps with support .    Pet Peeve is the least of the statements I would use for this 

What link? that's not how payment works in SL.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Leatherren said:

I was paying another member directly for a purchase,  I was in chat with that particular member, used the link to pay that member.  Paid  and got a message, "thank you for paying Caspervend"   the person did not get the payment.     Strangely enough,   when I attempted it a second time,    same method  same chat.    the payment went through.

This description is "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"… starting with "paying another member directly for a purchase." That doesn't sound like it's interacting with an object at all, but more like paying the other resident through the "Pay" action in their Profile—which might be opened by right-clicking their name in chat history as if it were a "link"—or by right-clicking their avatar or nametag or listing in nearby avatars—all kind of "link"-adjacent—and choosing "Pay".

That successful second attempt, though, used "same method same chat" so it sure sounds like "chat" is where the interactions start. Now, this seems unusual, but it's possible for somebody to type (or arrange for a script to emit) into chat or IM:

secondlife:///app/agent/<recipient's UUID>/pay

to create an honest to god link in chat that when clicked presents a pay dialog. This may sound scary, but not really: it's pretty obvious who's the recipient, and the pay amounts are extremely small change unless the payer explicitly enters a larger value. So maybe the other member offered such a link to be paid, and the OP's viewer had a stack of pending pay dialogs and by accident pulled an old CasperVend-managed dialog to the top and paid that one in error.

It's kind of a stretch, though.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If someone wants you to pay them directly, pay them directly.

I think no matter how you pay somebody directly it'll still generate a "Pay" dialog that can get shuffled around a stack of other pending Pay dialogs.

Maybe they can even come in out-of-order. Imagine trying to pay a vendor on a neighboring busy event region, and while that interaction is taking long enough to think it timed out, trying to pay an individual "directly". Could the vendor's pay dialog, finally ready, actually pop on top of the individual's? (No idea if that's really possible though.)

I think the last time I paid anybody directly was a live musician who had no tip jar. If it's not a tip or some kind of payment for services, this "paying another member directly for a purchase" is a little unusual from the start.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I think no matter how you pay somebody directly it'll still generate a "Pay" dialog

The "Pay somebody directly" dialog looks different to the "pay a vendor board" dialog as a rule, no list of different pocket change values, and no input box for a manual amount, and no text input box to specify what the payment is for, when paying a vendor board.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leatherren said:

I'm sorry you fell for one of the oldest types of scams to exist on the internet. About the only thing you can do is file a support ticket with LL. An AR isn't going to cut it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Casper

Casper no longer owns Caspervend and I'd be shocked if he still had access to its database.

They said they contacted Caspervend. How? LL owns Caspervend now. If I had a problem with a Caspervend transaction I'd have to contact LL about it.

The $1,000L fee makes absolutely no sense. The ultimate destination of any $L transaction is always listed on your Dashboard.

The bottom line here is that none of this makes any sense outside of someone creating some kind of spoof to make it look like it was a transaction through Caspervend.

Linden Lab would have ZERO tolerance for a spoof like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

I'm locking this thread because it's pretty obvious that the resident was the victim of a scam by another resident, and I think everything that could usefully be said on the matter has now been said.

I can only add the advice provided in Linden Lab Official:Scams:

Inworld vendor scams

Unscrupulous Residents can sometimes steal your Linden dollars by placing invisible prims over a scripted vending object, or by interfering with the data being passed between scripted objects. Report any such activity as abuse. See Filing an abuse report.

In cases where someone not involved in a deal intercepts payments, or causes a script to make fraudulent payments, Linden Lab will attempt to identify the abuser, and apply discipline as appropriate.

Separately, Linden Lab may be able to recover some or all lost Linden dollars, and return them to the correct Residents. Any restitution depends primarily on the recovery of lost Linden dollars from the abuser's account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.