What happened to my facelight?

diamond Marchant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wear + FACELIGHT LeLUTKA Low and recently noticed that it no longer lights my face or anything else. I use viewer Firestorm 6.6.14 (69596).

As a test, I made a small prim and checked Light on the Features tab... this lights me up. However, when I attach the same prim (to my left ear), no light at all.

What happened? Is there some new feature somewhere that disables attached lights?

Thanks in advance for any help.

With the Advanced Lighting Model addition how facelights work changed. EEP changed some of the controls in various panels but the lights still work as they did in pre-EEP ALM.

This has resulted in re-designed facelights. I make some that use Projectors and the kit is an educational tool to teach people how to use them. HERE. There is a link to a video on that page which you can watch for free to see how they work and look in SL.

The non-projector lights can still be used but the design is more complicated for them. Also, they still light things around them in 360. So facelights have become WAY LESS popular and now annoy many people. Older prim facelights often look like a supernova popped off when ALM is on. Those that are Mod-OK can be updated for use with ALM. And newly designed prim facelights work pretty well.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
added stuff
  • Like 1

Screenshot2023-09-19232143.png.e78860375ce3eea1a3a1f8f75d2c3aa6.png

... :ph34r:

On a serious note: For taking images, I do often put lights around me in a scene to enhance things. I've even got a light shade texture I can put into the box to the right of the color that makes the light directional.

I can see an actual use for a "facelight" when not on land where I can rez things - to achieve the same purpose. I'd just attach prims to avatar center so I could move them around without my pose moving them - then turn them into lights and use my light shadow to aim them (it's just a texture that has a black or white circle in it - I forget which).

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Randy Pole said:

So many people continue to have little suns in geostationary orbit around their head thinking that it makes them look better when it fact it has the opposite effect (unless in a photo shoot).

Was driven mad by this recently wondering what was going on with the lighting... Before realizing it was someone near me with some intense white facelight with a huge radius set.

Please people take them off if you're not doing whatever it is you do with those things.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

I use attached lights for photos sometimes, and have forgotten about them afterwards. 🫢I often keep local lights turned off in Firestorm, which I use regularly, but have them on in Black Dragon, which I use for photos. Luckily, my partner usually warns me when I'm a beacon and don't realize it. I have made it a habit to always check those after I take a photo to make sure everything is detached.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiloh Lyric said:

I use attached lights for photos sometimes, and have forgotten about them afterwards. 🫢

Gosh, I put a script reminder in mine that complains everytime I switch Sims and I still manage to forget they're attached. :D

But yah, I've recently had a few run ins with bad facelights when I was trying to take shots of others. Took me way too long to figure out that I wasn't messing up but rather that their nuclear sun overpowered every little subtle tweak I was making. In general I don't mind facelights on others but in general, a lot of those are just configured badly. There's no real reason they need to be omni-suns going bright white in all directions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiloh Lyric said:

I use attached lights for photos sometimes, and have forgotten about them afterwards. 🫢I often keep local lights turned off in Firestorm, which I use regularly, but have them on in Black Dragon, which I use for photos. Luckily, my partner usually warns me when I'm a beacon and don't realize it. I have made it a habit to always check those after I take a photo to make sure everything is detached.

I do the same, I forget them too. I can spend a long time taking pictures from different angles. As soon as I am done, I turn to Nam's skin and prim. It is so light that I don't see my attached lights. Yes, lights, not just one. And projected lights too, I often use very low EEP light for photos.

I must shine like a christmas tree... until I see them and take them off. 😆

• Like 1

Facelights with colored lighted are great for fantasy looks, but they definitely need to been done right. If I'm lighting the whole room, something is wrong lol. x.x. Otherwise I pretty much agree no need to use a facelight unless doing photos and even then, I'll likely fiddle with the personal lighting settings in quick preferences first.

7 hours ago, Shiloh Lyric said:

When I put out temporary light my trick to remember is to always use an untextured sphere prim, and not rename it.

It's obvious, it's in my way, and so I get rid of it.

When rezzing them about I HAVE turned them transparent because they're between the camera and what I'm screenshotting... and those I have forgotten until I notice the scene is too bright some time later.

Because I use light shadows all the time, the lights I set out are always super obvious. That at least makes me see them when I've left one behind or attached.

I can share that light shade to anyone who wants it.

Screenshot2023-09-20112131.thumb.png.9c9dbab889492e57cabdfb4529180af9.png

I've put this light shade / directional light texture into a fullperms freebie here:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LightShade/25237287

Anyone is welcome to grab that, share it, and use it in anything they want.

Screenshot2023-09-20122123.png.b80f54b8cd3e80211fb90335c12ab771.png

There's a texture, and a sample prim that uses it.

Analyzing the prim's features tab will also show how to set these kinds of things up.

Note that if you make a light shade with any other shape - that shape will become the shape of the light. So you could draw lines to create the light going through window blinds or a grate, or even put a picture in there to 'cast' that picture as a light.

Directional lights like this are great for enhancing a scene, or for lighting up just the right part of an avatar and nothing beyond that part.

Screenshot2023-09-20153932.thumb.png.8c1fba62e342878b58658a290c224319.png

In this case I've rezzed the light - but an attached light can be used the same way.

Give it a little more 'radius' and you can see how it's focused on me, and casts a stark shadow onto the wall of the exact area it lights up. I use these in my home to light up extremely specific parts of rooms, without the light going through walls but carefully editing the radius and other numbers.

Screenshot2023-09-20154117.thumb.png.3fcb51597c4cf74cad16f8479a04f1e4.png

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.