Linden updated failed.

embe Binder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have to say, after all these years, Linden Labs is making it. again and again to surprise you negatively. Since the last apparently major update or whatever you like to call it, there have been serious bugs again and again. It starts with the fact that attachments are displayed as attached, you can even mark/edit them but not remove them, which shows that the attachments are not really attached but are missing,. you can only add them again, after a restart. Next is just disappear Hud`s from the previously saved (own) or positions specified by the creators. These can be temporarily pushed back into the screen, but after use they move back to the position outside the screen. This phenomenon occurs causally if you have selected a different size setting  "screen scale" in the settings. It has also happened that HUDs are added in the original content of the creator, but are not displayed on the screen, they are turned around (certainly not by the creator) and are therefore invisible from behind. Furthermore, someone has installed a decent bug, which concerns the processing of scripts. So I have a hud that had changed/played/altered default poses in chronological order. Since the last update everything has been mixed up, a logical sequence is no longer recognizable and only works in a completely confused way. It is also completely incomprehensible to me how Linden can allow the 3rd party viewer to completely corrupt the proportions of avatars so that they are displayed with a 20 cm difference in the shape settings when you switch back and forth between the viewers. Last but not least: Has anyonetake a look at the sequence on Marketplace?! If you are now looking for an article, you can only jump one page forward. If you want  skip all $0 offers, you can no longer do 5 steps but have to skip all the pages INDIVIDUALLY and have no way of skipping them, which makes them completely useless unless you have a day to spare. Maybe you make the effort every now and then to check things before you install them and completely mess up the entire content. For any inquiries, I'm willing to help

• Thanks 1

It's not a difficult post to understand if you try.  I will mess with formatting a little:

"I have to say, after all these years, Linden Labs is making it. again and again to surprise you negatively.

1. Since the last apparently major update or whatever you like to call it, there have been serious bugs again and again. It starts with the fact that attachments are displayed as attached, you can even mark/edit them but not remove them, which shows that the attachments are not really attached but are missing,. you can only add them again, after a restart.
  2. Next is just disappear Hud`s from the previously saved (own) or positions specified by the creators. These can be temporarily pushed back into the screen, but after use they move back to the position outside the screen. This phenomenon occurs causally if you have selected a different size setting  "screen scale" in the settings. It has also happened that HUDs are added in the original content of the creator, but are not displayed on the screen, they are turned around (certainly not by the creator) and are therefore invisible from behind.
  3. Furthermore, someone has installed a decent bug, which concerns the processing of scripts. So I have a hud that had changed/played/altered default poses in chronological order. Since the last update everything has been mixed up, a logical sequence is no longer recognizable and only works in a completely confused way.
  4. It is also completely incomprehensible to me how Linden can allow the 3rd party viewer to completely corrupt the proportions of avatars so that they are displayed with a 20 cm difference in the shape settings when you switch back and forth between the viewers.
  5. Last but not least: Has anyonetake a look at the sequence on Marketplace?! If you are now looking for an article, you can only jump one page forward. If you want  skip all $0 offers, you can no longer do 5 steps but have to skip all the pages INDIVIDUALLY and have no way of skipping them, which makes them completely useless unless you have a day to spare.

Maybe you make the effort every now and then to check things before you install them and completely mess up the entire content.

For any inquiries, I'm willing to help"

The way I see it, they are reporting five issues by describing the differences between what they expect to happen and what they are experiencing.  They close with an offer to cooperate with anyone willing to investigate the issues described.

Regular posters on this forum have made these same complaints, but apparently someone that doesn't regularly litter these forums with vitriol isn't allowed to post without ridicule.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

It is also completely incomprehensible to me how Linden can allow the 3rd party viewer to completely corrupt the proportions of avatars so that they are displayed with a 20 cm difference in the shape settings when you switch back and forth between the viewers.

Why does this even matter?  If you like your avatar's size, the numbers are kind of irrelevant, IMO.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Why does this even matter?  If you like your avatar's size, the numbers are kind of irrelevant, IMO.  

For some of us it is a bit of a pain because in my case I usually set my avatar size to around 6 feet. This works well with my partner's normal size of about 6.5 feet. The couples furniture we have are all modified to account for that size difference. When creating or modifying a shape in a different viewer while by myself, I set the size to around 6 feet and then find the scales are off on the furniture as well as just standing beside each other leading to question whose height is off. 

Not a new issue though, have seen that problem for ages.

• Like 1

It's all a little murky to me, to be honest, although I don't doubt these are valid concerns. One thing that may help clarify is a timeframe for the "last apparently major update" because these seem to have quite disparate sources, from third party viewers, to search on Marketplace, to server-side script behavior. It seem difficult to ascribe all these problems to one update, unless I'm just misunderstanding the descriptions.

To turn to one specific: Is this HUD behavior (#2 in Ardy's enumeration) actually different from the way it's always been? Maybe I'm just unlucky but I've very often had to correct HUD placement and even orientation when attached directly from the unpacked folder (and almost invariably if they've ever been rezzed on the ground instead of attached to the HUD).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, embe Binder said:

It is also completely incomprehensible to me how Linden can allow the 3rd party viewer to completely corrupt the proportions of avatars so that they are displayed with a 20 cm difference in the shape settings when you switch back and forth between the viewers.

LL basically got the height display in the appearance window, WRONG, the 3rd party devs FIXED it, but LL cannot be bothered to do so. Best to check your height with a Avatar Height measuring device, @Henri Beauchamp at Cool Viewer gives one away free that works very well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

It's not a difficult post to understand if you try.  I will mess with formatting a little:

"I have to say, after all these years, Linden Labs is making it. again and again to surprise you negatively.

1. Since the last apparently major update or whatever you like to call it, there have been serious bugs again and again. It starts with the fact that attachments are displayed as attached, you can even mark/edit them but not remove them, which shows that the attachments are not really attached but are missing,. you can only add them again, after a restart.
  2. Next is just disappear Hud`s from the previously saved (own) or positions specified by the creators. These can be temporarily pushed back into the screen, but after use they move back to the position outside the screen. This phenomenon occurs causally if you have selected a different size setting  "screen scale" in the settings. It has also happened that HUDs are added in the original content of the creator, but are not displayed on the screen, they are turned around (certainly not by the creator) and are therefore invisible from behind.
  3. Furthermore, someone has installed a decent bug, which concerns the processing of scripts. So I have a hud that had changed/played/altered default poses in chronological order. Since the last update everything has been mixed up, a logical sequence is no longer recognizable and only works in a completely confused way.
  4. It is also completely incomprehensible to me how Linden can allow the 3rd party viewer to completely corrupt the proportions of avatars so that they are displayed with a 20 cm difference in the shape settings when you switch back and forth between the viewers.
  5. Last but not least: Has anyonetake a look at the sequence on Marketplace?! If you are now looking for an article, you can only jump one page forward. If you want  skip all $0 offers, you can no longer do 5 steps but have to skip all the pages INDIVIDUALLY and have no way of skipping them, which makes them completely useless unless you have a day to spare.

Maybe you make the effort every now and then to check things before you install them and completely mess up the entire content.

For any inquiries, I'm willing to help"

The way I see it, they are reporting five issues by describing the differences between what they expect to happen and what they are experiencing.  They close with an offer to cooperate with anyone willing to investigate the issues described.

Regular posters on this forum have made these same complaints, but apparently someone that doesn't regularly litter these forums with vitriol isn't allowed to post without ridicule.

Thank you for making the post readable!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For some of us it is a bit of a pain because in my case I usually set my avatar size to around 6 feet. This works well with my partner's normal size of about 6.5 feet. The couples furniture we have are all modified to account for that size difference. When creating or modifying a shape in a different viewer while by myself, I set the size to around 6 feet and then find the scales are off on the furniture as well as just standing beside each other leading to question whose height is off. 

Not a new issue though, have seen that problem for ages.

Best to use a prim to measure height if it's important to you.  Tucking one of your height into the body/shape folder to you can easily make adjustment on any viewer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Best to use a prim to measure height if it's important to you.  Tucking one of your height into the body/shape folder to you can easily make adjustment on any viewer.

Sure there are workarounds but bottom line it is just compensating for bad coding. At some point one has to stop and tell the dev they need to fix it rather than the whole population having to have a long list of workarounds to compensate for their failures.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

At some point one has to stop and tell the dev they need to fix it rather than the whole population having to have a long list of workarounds to compensate for their failures.

Good luck with that.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, embe Binder said:

It starts with the fact that attachments are displayed as attached, you can even mark/edit them but not remove them, which shows that the attachments are not really attached but are missing,. you can only add them again, after a restart.

This feature has been around for at least the last 12 years.  It's often caused by TPing to a laggy region, and your hair (or whatever) was not sent to everyone else.  That is a network issue, and is often regional.  I can tell if my hair is missing when someone compliments me on my new bald look.  Again, it is a feature, not a bug.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, embe Binder said:

Has anyonetake a look at the sequence on Marketplace?! If you are now looking for an article, you can only jump one page forward. If you want  skip all $0 offers, you can no longer do 5 steps but have to skip all the pages INDIVIDUALLY and have no way of skipping them,

To get the items you are searching for closer to the top, you need to use keywords and filters.  To skip all $0 offers, set price range to $1 to $5000, or whatever top limit you want.

To skip DEMO's click the NO  DEMO box.  To specify a Sort option, use it.  Search is not a mind reader.

As far as being able to skip to any page by entering the page number, why would you want to do this?  Is there some value in skipping to page 193 from page 1?

I do wish LL would add the page selection to the top, instead of just the bottom of a page. But you can simply use the End key to scroll to the bottom of a web page instantly.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

U are right and i agree that Lindens Measure is crap in between of Avatar and other size measures. But  Linden or the Lindenviewer is the benchmark.

Since the founding of Lindenlab and Second Life it has been known, that the avatars are about 1/3 larger than in reality, means all buildings and dimensions are designed for this size and so far all viewers have been based on this standard.

Now, a well-known 3rd party viewer has switched to setting other standards in the size range, with the effect that furniture built content for users designed with this viewer, are for other users/viewers, including Lindenlab's own viewer, becoming too small for avatars that conform to the Linden system.

An example, many users use their own height as level in Sl, if I set this to 1.75 m (54% aspect ratio) in the Lindenviewer/shape or other viewers such as Catznip, save it, then log in with the Firestorm, I suddenly have one height of 1.95 m.

As a result, people who use Firestorm set their height/shape to 1.75 m are for  Lindenviewerusers  or other 3rd party viewers, only 1.55m tall and the avatars in the grid are getting smaller and smaller.

I'm not saying Linden's version is better, but measuring with different sizes corrupts the web and content into 2 camps and should be one standard. It probably came across wrong, this error has not only existed since the last update but has been around for quite a while, but apparently nobody else is surprised that the avatars for Lindenlevel users are sometimes only 1.35 m tall and getting smaller and smaller.

Just try it yourself, look at your shape size in Firestorm, don't change anything, log in with the Lindenviewer and then compare the size

I apologize for all the problems with reading, because as I do not live in the English-speaking area, I use the google translator for more complex texts, which does not allow any formating, but I hope that this is now understandable.

Edited by embe Binder
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

To get the items you are searching for closer to the top, you need to use keywords and filters.  To skip all $0 offers, set price range to $1 to $5000, or whatever top limit you want.

To skip DEMO's click the NO  DEMO box.  To specify a Sort option, use it.  Search is not a mind reader.

As far as being able to skip to any page by entering the page number, why would you want to do this?  Is there some value in skipping to page 193 from page 1?

I do wish LL would add the page selection to the top, instead of just the bottom of a page. But you can simply use the End key to scroll to the bottom of a web page instantly.  

🙂  Thanks for the hint, which I hadn't realized yet, but I still don't have a bigger jump option than just a single side step wich would help bit more  anyway thanks for the tip 🙂

6 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

This feature has been around for at least the last 12 years.  It's often caused by TPing to a laggy region, and your hair (or whatever) was not sent to everyone else.  That is a network issue, and is often regional.  I can tell if my hair is missing when someone compliments me on my new bald look.  Again, it is a feature, not a bug.

I agree that there were always small complications.

I've been at it for too long not to have noticed every nuance or to get upset, but the attachments thing has been extreme lately, never used to be the case and even happens with teleports from one region to another.

The stupid thing about it is that you don't notice the whole thing and hopefully you have an attentive observer who will point out that you standing there, without a head or something similar.

14 hours ago, embe Binder said:

U are right and i agree that Lindens Measure is crap in between of Avatar and other size measures. But  Linden or the Lindenviewer is the benchmark.

And what is wrong with us wanting to correct Linden Lab's mistake? Why acquiesce to their mistake when it is possible for us to correctly size our Avatars with a 1:1 proportion in harmony with the world's measurement in meters? 

• Like 4

On 8/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, Rowan Amore said:

What does this even refer to? never heard of it. Are different viewers really interpreting height values in shapes differently?

9 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

What does this even refer to? never heard of it. Are different viewers really interpreting height values in shapes differently?

Most viewers show the same "Height" value in the shape editor as what the server reports in the LSL function llGetAgentSize(). Firestorm does some other calculation that gets a result closer to what viewers draw as the avatar. The Firestorm metric will appear to match a prim measuring stick, as found at the landing point on some regions, the "You must be THIS tall to ride" signs.

Ironically though, the scripted versions of those signs invariably compare the entering avatar's simple server height as reported in non-Firestorm viewers. (Never a source of drama, Firestorm. 🙄) It's all extremely silly, but some people will never accept that "size doesn't matter" when it comes to avatars.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Perrie Juran said:

And what is wrong with us wanting to correct Linden Lab's mistake? Why acquiesce to their mistake when it is possible for us to correctly size our Avatars with a 1:1 proportion in harmony with the world's measurement in meters? 

Because this is not the task of separate viewers to set up their own measurement rules. It is/should be up to Lindenlabs to set the rules for who measures what and how. The correct way would be to convene a conference or coordinate this with all other 3rd party viewers, so that measuring procedures are handled uniformly and the sizes of the avatars are not corrupted and split into two camps, as is happening now. 

10 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

As i wrote, check your shapesize in FS, Log in with Lindenlabviewer ,or catznip and check out. You will see that your size is shorter than in FS.Shapemeasure.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.