Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Honestly dude I wasn't asking for your life story at all when i asked about the name but if this is some kind of therapy for you then go for it. It's not that I don't care, it's just that i don't give a crap.

Heck, now we can't even make the "haven't got a leg to stand on" comments. Telling RL info just spoils everything.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks!

I suppose it is the "without their consent" part that's a problem, if someone "outs themselves" and word spreads. It is not enforceable - common sense here - for Linden Lab to dictate that people "keep secrets they've been told".

"Loose lips sink ships."

I would think that it might matter how and where a person "outs themselves" - someone posting their alt's name themselves in a public forum post is different than if I told you my alt's name either in local chat or IM inworld, or in a private message to you here.  If I had told you privately, I would expect you to not share that information with other people without you asking my consent first.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

Розповідати комусь щось про когось без його згоди є порушенням.

Oh! and I told how handsome my men were) but I think they were someone's ALTs... If I didn't name names, then I'm a pretty girl?? it is better not to write anything... then what to write about??? OMG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I would think that it might matter how and where a person "outs themselves" - someone posting their alt's name themselves in a public forum post is different than if I told you my alt's name either in local chat or IM inworld, or in a private message to you here.  If I had told you privately, I would expect you to not share that information with other people without you asking my consent first.

Exactly.  That's what I've been talking about since the thread is about alts here, in the forums.  I'd never disclose information shared in private.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It certainly can be quoted in the forums if they disclosed it in the forums.  Since we're discussing alts in the forums.  I'd not take something said here and disclose it inworld or vice versa.

I didn't say anything about quoting anyone. Quoting isn't disclosing. Repeating it in your own words would be disclosing. That doesn't mean the mods won't delete your post quoting the information. It's more likely they will. 

The terms posted by Moira apply to the forum as well since the forum is a part of the community. 

If you think I am wrong, ask a Linden.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I didn't say anything about quoting anyone. Quoting isn't disclosing. Repeating it in your own words would be disclosing. That doesn't mean the mods won't delete your post quoting the information. It's more likely they will. 

The terms posted by Moira apply to the forum as well since the forum is a part of the community. 

If you think I am wrong, ask a Linden.

I said...

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

But the person still disclosed it themselves so I'd not be disclosing anything not already out there.  Or I could just quote them and not 'say' a word.

And you replied...

23 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Makes no difference. If it isn't on the profile, it cannot be disclosed by someone other than the profile owner. That's the terms of the ToS.

Just to clarify, I've only been talking about the forums to keep on topic.  

I'll wait on the meme.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

actually, the forums are separate from in world, so you would have to actually log into use it.

Good to know, but I did mean logging in to my Account page to check for transactions, etc. I believe when you do so, it also applies that current log-in to the forums.

• Like 1

• Moles

Hi gang!

I have just removed several recent posts that had drifted well off topic and were getting testy.  If you have a personal disagreement with another poster, please take it somewhere else.  Spirited discussion and constructive disagreement are welcome, but name-calling and airing of grievances are not appropriate in our discussion areas. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

On 25.07.2023 at 19:40, BillFletcher said:

Він пройшов крізь бур’яни та дерева повз них, спустився берегом у річку й тепер дрейфує в море.

I read the first three pages and now I've been reading them back since the 20th))) it's such a pleasure - you've opened Pandora's box)) Thank you)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

The ignore button doesn't stop people from posting, it just means you can't see their posts, Which means they can talk behind your back.

I know that. I was insinuating that some people should put ME on THEIR ignore list. I rarely talk about anyone behind their backs, and the odd time I do, it's in PM or inworld extremely briefly, so they would never know anyways. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enola2017 said:

I read the first three pages and now I've been reading them back since the 20th))) it's such a pleasure - you've opened Pandora's box)) Thank you)

I am glad at least one person approves, well actually two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Hi gang!

I have just removed several recent posts that had drifted well off topic and were getting testy.  If you have a personal disagreement with another poster, please take it somewhere else.  Spirited discussion and constructive disagreement are welcome, but name-calling and airing of grievances are not appropriate in our discussion areas. 

I do hope you have this ready to copy/paste and don't write it out each time.  I can imagine your poor fingers getting worn away otherwise.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I do hope you have this ready to copy/paste and don't write it out each time.  I can imagine your poor fingers getting worn away otherwise.

The forum mods have a direct line to my red phone. No need for typing!

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/22/2023 at 4:36 PM, Luna Bliss said:

I am an alt....this is not my original avatar    :)

I'm an alt too. But I don't think it really matters that much.  I've never tried to hide it. My original av retired both in world and here in the forums back in 2012 or so.  

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.