You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do we have 2 nearly identical threads for posting how our avatars look? How Does Your Avatar Look Today? and What Does Your Avatar Look Like Now? are essentially the same subject. Some people even post the same pictures in both of them. Maybe the older, longer thread should be locked?

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

They also post the same pictures in "How does your SL look today?". 

You didn't mean that thread by one of them, did you?  Just checking!

"How Does Your SL Look Today?" is supposed to show more than just our avatars though. If some people post selfies in that thread without also showing a nice setting, that's on them.  I don't care who started these threads. It just seems silly to have 2 that are essentially the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

"How Does Your SL Look Today?" is supposed to show more than just our avatars though.

I asserted the same thing about that thread to someone who asked, and the OP said "they can post whatever they want".

This resulted in ridicule and insults from the person who asked. With THAT kind of shenanigans, I'd say PLEASE combine the threads!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Why do we have 2 nearly identical threads for posting how our avatars look? How Does Your Avatar Look Today? and What Does Your Avatar Look Now? are essentially the same subject. Some people even post the same pictures in both of them. Maybe the older, longer thread should be locked?

Because someone thought that the older How Does Your Avatar Look Today wasn't going in the direction they wanted to focus on.  So they decided to start a new thread.

However, yes, many folks just spam both threads with the same picture.  As Love mentioned, a few post the same picture also in the How Does Your SL Look Today thread -- even though many of us agree that that thread should focus more on your SL surroundings than avatars.  

IMO, some folks are simply using all of the threads to get as many likes as possible off of the same picture or to just draw more attention to their pics.

• Like 8

It would make sense to merge the Now and Today threads, and the How does your SL look should be the view from your avatar rather than a selfie with a background.

I've made it fair and no longer go to any of them.

Edited by Marigold Devin
Love is ... not having to have a reason
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

MO, some folks are simply using all of the threads to get as many likes as possible off of the same picture or to just draw more attention to their pics.

I've blocked those people.  😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Why do we have 2 nearly identical threads for posting how our avatars look? How Does Your Avatar Look Today? and What Does Your Avatar Look Now? are essentially the same subject. Some people even post the same pictures in both of them. Maybe the older, longer thread should be locked?

The Today thread was a long established one, was doing fine and still doing fine. Then some years ago, there was a short minor spat between posters that nobody remembers what was about, and someone created the Now thread in an effort to divide the community. It almost worked until most posters wised up and abandoned the Now thread with the exception of that one person who is clearly spamming for the likes.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

The Today thread was a long established one, was doing fine and still doing fine. Then some years ago, there was a short minor spat between posters that nobody remembers what was about, and someone created the Now thread in an effort to divide the community. It almost worked until most posters wised up and abandoned the Now thread with the exception of that one person who is clearly spamming for the likes.

I took a look at the beginning of the Now thread and it disgusts me the level of bitchiness on these forums at times. 

There are bound to be times when some of us don't get along, but I vaguely remember the Now thread starting and I just thought, "Oh heck, not another vacuous selfie thread". The Today thread was always better than that as everyone of every type was always truly welcome on it, but there have been some threads that just ended up containing the equivalent of mean girls being mean. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I took a look at the beginning of the Now thread and it disgusts me the level of bitchiness on these forums at times. 

I know, when I see some threads, the bitchiness level is so low, I'm like, "are you even trying?!" Purely disgusting, like they can't even kvetch, let alone biotch.

Wait, you DID mean the bitchiness level was too low, right?

FD853B38-9911-4975-9B1B-9867C9C61279.jpeg

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

but I vaguely remember the Now thread starting and I just thought, "Oh heck, not another vacuous selfie thread".

I got the opinion some threads were started just because the OP wanted to control a picture thread.

• Like 5

I personally think we need more of those threads! Where are the "What did your avatar look like 1 hour ago?" "What does your avatar look like tomorrow?" and "How did your avatar look like on January 4th 2012?" threads?

MORE AVATAR THREADS FOR THE WORLD! THE WORLD NEEDS MORE AVATAR PHOTOS! FREE THE AVATAR PHOTOS!

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Michael Blackwood said:

I personally think we need more of those threads! Where are the "What did your avatar look like 1 hour ago?" "What does your avatar look like tomorrow?" and "How did your avatar look like on January 4th 2012?" threads?

MORE AVATAR THREADS FOR THE WORLD! THE WORLD NEEDS MORE AVATAR PHOTOS! FREE THE AVATAR PHOTOS!

Only if they are all filled with photos of you....... and a few other choice men around here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 10:38 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

What Does Your Avatar Look Like Now?

I thought that one started out as a "what does your av look like now as compared to when you were a newb" type thread. The thread might have gotten derailed somewhere along the way. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I thought that one started out as a "what does your av look like now as compared to when you were a newb" type thread. The thread might have gotten derailed somewhere along the way. 

Nope - just read the opening post in that thread and you'll realize it was basically created due to drama in the other thread.

• Sad 1

I initially supported both threads i know the “now” one came about due to some beef in the “today" thread I don't think people really knew which one should quietly get buried beneath the constant churn of new threads at the time. It didn't take long for the original “today” to win out if it wasn't for mainly one poster, since there's no real need to have two identical threads “now” would have gotten buried long ago 

• Like 2

"Look at my avatar" makes up a solid portion of the posts over on the secondlife subreddit, we can't really do mega threads that just rumble forever and trying to get everyone to use them correctly if we tried would be a moderation nightmare.

I really don't think avatar posts (or threads here) a bad thing, shows people are active and engaged and enjoying the platform.

More pictures of avatar threads.

PS .. don't forget about 

MOAR !!

Meh. I don't see this, myself, as a very important issue. I think I've accidentally posted in the "Now" thread a few times -- they're easy to confuse -- but otherwise I more or less just ignore that one.

I know I was "invited" to post in the Now thread via a group DM here when it first started, but I declined because I was a bit uncomfortable with the premise and motivation. And there are some kind of catty comments early on in that one that reinforced that sense. But in an odd way, I think that it may have actually reduced the drama on the "Today" thread by giving people who were unhappy there another place to post instead.

The issues that underwrote that drama are now pretty much gone, however, and most of the people who were most enthusiastic about the "Now" thread don't post here anymore -- including the OP, so I don't think it serves much of a purpose at this point.

I would imagine, however, that merging the two threads would not be easy, in part just because of their sheer size, but also because it would mean a whole lot of duplication within the same thread. Someone would have to go through and delete all those duplicates, peoples "reputation" would drop as a result, the moon would turn blood red, and there'd be anarchy on the streets, etc. Just let it motor on quietly by itself, I think. It'll die a natural death.

The other threads Coffee have mentioned (two of which I created) are a bit different because they are themed. The "spicy" one, as I recall, just predates the decision to allow nudity in the Adult forum -- it was intended to provide a place in Adult where people could safely post more sexy pics. I'm not sure it serves much of a function anymore. The Friendship one was for posting pics of, well, friendship. By definition, it tends to be a bit different than the vast majority of the selfies in the main vanity threads.

I agree that the SL Today thread should serve a very different purpose, and that's generally how I use it: to showcase stuff I'm doing, rather than posed pics of me or others.

I didn't see this thread until it was several days old as I'm not on here checking to see if I have any new 'likes' or chucking in my opinion every 10 minutes of my waking hours every day, but the subject of this thread has lingered recently.

Wherever possible within any forum I participate in I always employ the 'Unread Content' or 'View New Content' as my shortcut for entry and filter out areas within the forum which hold no interest. When images are posted a thumbnail is shown and just the other day saw someone (a female ava) had posted the same identical picture into two of these 'Look at me and Like me' picture threads.

Besides being tediously self-indulgent, double-posting has a whiff of spamming and 'Like-hunting' about it. I can't remember the poster's name, to be honest I can't remember anyone's account name even as I write this because none are visible, but numerous poster's names I remember when I'm actually reading the forum.

I find many people very easy to ignore. Not by using an Ignore button feature, just simply skimming over their input because they become mentally invisible to me. Even easier when they use some font incongruity in a vain attempt to stand-out because they need all the help they can get with their contributions.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.