End of Second Life 32-Bit Viewer Support

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

53 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

would this disparity in crash rates be caused by memory availability or would there be other reasons too?

Memory availability is a big one .. SL can easily consume half the entire 32bit address space all by itself, with a decent crowed, all of it.

Memory handling is also an issue.

53 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I dismantled my own Intel Core Duo machine a few days ago simply because I could not make myself use it for anything and nobody nearby wanted it either.

Core 2 machines are somewhat desirable as retro machines.

Built myself a core 2 quad just for this purpose and playing with all the hardware I couldnt afford first time round.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 5:02 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I can't speak for the Mac OS side of this post, being a "PC".

The last Mac that couldn't run High Sierra was discontinued in 2012, and that was an iMac only available to education customers. So except for people who bought a Mac from a surplus auction after it got too old for an elementary school to want it, this probably isn't an issue for anyone. The only use for Macs that old is to run ancient hardware or software that newer versions of the macOS won't run, and it shouldn't be connected to the internet.

• Like 1

I still have an old potato pc which is a 3rd gen intel from about 12 years ago that has 64 bit architecture.

It runs ubuntu linux and it will still connect to SL lol.

But I do have a new win 11 pooter for that job though.

and if you think that is bad, MS is slowly stopping support for windows 10! https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/windows-client-roadmap-update/ba-p/3805227

Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Aiyumei said:

Wait, there was 32bit support? What year is it? :D

I use one "critical" 16-Bit program in my job. It won't run on anything newer than than Windows Server 2003.  I believe the program is from 1997 (I started the job in 1998).  When I started, our focus was updating some programs to 32-Bit versions. What year is it? 😹

34 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I use one "critical" 16-Bit program in my job. It won't run on anything newer than than Windows Server 2003.  I believe the program is from 1997 (I started the job in 1998).  When I started, our focus was updating some programs to 32-Bit versions. What year is it? 😹

That’s it you are the real John Titor… it all adds up 🙌

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It also won't run on System/360 any less! Now, VAX on the other hand, I'm not sure. Probably not Wang though.

Okay, I wanted to remodel anyway, I can turn the old computer room into a new pool room then, and get rid of that ridiculous large a/c...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the record, my own potato runs with:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3410.01 MHz)
       Memory: 32720 MB
       Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2

Teh Goggle says my CPU was launched in January 2011, and my GPU in May 2011.

My PC is almost 12.5 years old and runs Second Life fine.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 11:23 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I recall some discussion about people running TPV's on potatoes like the Raspberry Pi.

The Raspberry Pi is an up-to-date 64bit computer and not a potato :)

The discussion you refer to is one (I think) created by me, and I didn't get any kind of viewer running on except Speedlight, because that one runs in a web browser. The problem is that the RPi uses an 'arm' cpu, and no browser is made for it. It's fine with Speedlight in a web browser though, and I'm logged in with the RPi most hours of every day.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:
On 5/23/2023 at 6:23 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I recall some discussion about people running TPV's on potatoes like the Raspberry Pi.

The Raspberry Pi is an up-to-date 64bit computer and not a potato :)

The discussion you refer to is one (I think) created by me, and I didn't get any kind of viewer running on except Speedlight, because that one runs in a web browser. The problem is that the RPi uses an 'arm' cpu, and no browser is made for it. It's fine with Speedlight in a web browser though, and I'm logged in with the RPi most hours of every day.

Yep, I was talking about you, just didn't want to tag you for once!

I suppose my point - and also the point of my Original Post in this thread is: 

Even if Linden Lab will remove support for 32-Bit Windows, that does NOT mean all TPV support will end for the same 32-Bit platforms (until TPV support ends for the platforms).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

For the record, my own potato runs with:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3410.01 MHz)
       Memory: 32720 MB
       Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2

Teh Goggle says my CPU was launched in January 2011, and my GPU in May 2011.

My PC is almost 12.5 years old and runs Second Life fine.

As a 2600 owner (it now runs the family minecraft / media server) I can assure you, it very much does not run Second Life "fine". Sandybridge has a lot of issues that SL really leans on hard, like I/O, bus bandwidth and DDR3 memory speed.

A 560 is easily thrashed by a modern xx30 (junk class business cards) using only a fraction of the power.

Time to retire that beastie, you're worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We should have Second Life Viewer that runs natively on an FPGA by now.  Then, once that's properly debugged, spin up ASICs for power efficiency.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

We should have Second Life Viewer that runs natively on an FPGA by now.  Then, once that's properly debugged, spin up ASICs for power efficiency.

I'm holding out for glasses that beam Second Life directly into my eyeballs.

Or headgear that zaps Second Life directly into my brain.

HELLO, LINDEN LAB? ARE YOU LISTENING?!?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

As a 2600 owner (it now runs the family minecraft / media server) I can assure you, it very much does not run Second Life "fine". Sandybridge has a lot of issues that SL really leans on hard, like I/O, bus bandwidth and DDR3 memory speed.

A 560 is easily thrashed by a modern xx30 (junk class business cards) using only a fraction of the power.

Time to retire that beastie, you're worth it.

Respectfully, it works for me without any issues that I can detect.  Perhaps I will try it some on "Ultra" settings, then with new materials, etc. when the becomes available.

I'd rather spend my money on more synthesizer and music production equipment!

However, I DO need a laptop for using as a DAW, but I was going to get a cheap one. 

Darn it! Now, you've got me thinking I should look for a laptop that will run Second Life "well enough".

Phooey!

35 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Can’t stop the i7-2600! Slap an SSD and a reasonably modern Nvidia card in there and you’re good for another ten years!

I use an SSD basically only for my SL cache. Got that SSD when I bought the machine! Been thinking about getting a new graphics card since the old one fell apart, I only knew because the fan was hitting something. Zip ties are holding the card together!  The motherboard is a bit unusual for the time, has optical audio out. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.