Spring Cleaning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On the one hand, some "classic" MP products will "slowly die" as the last sales dwindle, and they are removed for no sales.. (I've got a good example of a product I'd miss but won't go into details so as to avoid derail.)

On the other hand, these older "classic" MP products already lack support (creators are long gone); experience issues due to animations missing from the database; have "functional" problems due to LSL scripts working slightly different now, years later; have a higher LI due to being pre-mesh; etc. Ultimately, once gone from the MP, nobody will miss them.

So, I feel a little better having gone through that exercise. Kind of like the "5 Stages of Grief".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think this is a pretty good idea and long overdue.  

Thanks for posting this, when I first read the LL post, it seemed a good subject for discussion (since of course, we can't comment or discuss on those official posts).

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I saw this thread title pop up in the middle of unpacking like 30 new pairs of shoes and was feeling VERY called out at the moment, thinking it was about spring inventory cleanup. 😂

Yeah, my first thought was a discussion of Spring Cleaning our Inventories, and I cringed.  

I know it needs to be done, but I just can't make myself.

• Like 4

This is a double edged sword.

Yes, removing unsupported and abandoned content from the marketplace is a good idea. 

However, due to the decline in small inworld stores this presents a situation where access to certain items is effectively deleted forever.

I am a strong advocate for SL being a living world first rather than a tomb enshrined with vintage prims, but it strikes me as odd that on the one hand, LL wont do anything that might break old content in the name of preservation ... and then happily cull access to the same old content to solve a provisioning problem.

This leaves us in a situation where the only "historic" content saved is that which someone is paying to display in world, regions deemed too sentimental to let drop, or abandoned mole-works that have faded into irrelevance. I would argue that none of this is the historical content that actually matters or tells our shared stories.

• Like 4

This is probably a good idea since it's not quite the hammer some might think-there are requirements. I know I have a couple old friends who don't log in very often anymore who have been here for quite a long time that would be negatively impacted if those requirements weren't so inclusive and exclusive at the same time. Thankfully I believe their stores and products will be just fine. I think ll just wants to declutter the mp because they don't have a handle on it-don't know how to fix any of the current issues it really has-don't know how or don't want to fix the fake improvements they claimed to make previously which massively broke everything and clearly angered people-and generally don't know what they're doing with the mp at all. Maybe that self-realization is what led to them finally deciding to do something-even if it's just an appeasement bandaid for much bigger issues. I don't personally have the issues others do-but I've read enough about them to know they're serious.

As an aside-I wish ll would stop using that picture for the blog or whatever posts they put on. It's just an advertisement for a specific store-I have that dress and know where it's from. They should be able to come up with something better than that lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I am a strong advocate for SL being a living world first rather than a tomb enshrined with vintage prims, but it strikes me as odd that on the one hand, LL wont do anything that might break old content in the name of preservation ... and then happily cull access to the same old content to solve a provisioning problem.

Ide be happier if they nuked all the old garbage strewn across mainland & all the stuff that holds the grid back & made things run a bit better,cleaning up MP is meh & if all they gotta do is login once every two years I cant see it doing much anyway.

All that money into Sansar aswell instead of just putting it into the main grid.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

every listing not sold in a year should be taken offline, MP isn't a museum. 
every store that has items with keywordspam should be taken offline, relist it proper or stay away.

.. "not being sold in a year .. or two year of absence "...  that;s way to long. 
No support means, no store anymore. Log in at least twice a month. if not, without reason that sellers should providee, close the store.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, LexyMarie said:

Ide be happier if they nuked all the old garbage strewn across mainland & all the stuff that holds the grid back & made things run a bit better,cleaning up MP is meh & if all they gotta do is login once every two years I cant see it doing much anyway.

All that money into Sansar aswell instead of just putting it into the main grid.

many parts of that garbage on mainland is still on parcels that are owned....ánd thát is sometimes a museum function. Better there than on MP.
Sansar is gone for nearly 3 years now.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

this presents a situation where access to certain items is effectively deleted forever.

No, 'unlisted/deactivated' means such items can be reenlisted and reactivated with a flip of a switch.

I'd say it's a single-edged sword with the blunt end having the potential to hurt a few. But this is the price of spring cleaning in general: you toss out all the junk with prejudice now, with the knowledge that there will be regrets in the future.

I'm curious how this will affect 'Search/Sort by Relevance' on MP, since that part is still being worked on and its search result lists are currently rife with old junk.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LexyMarie said:

If someone is paying for the land under the garbage, it's not garbage!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I do see the fact redelivery will not be possible as a problem, but then again redelivery didn't always exist.

That would be the only downside is if people can't get redeliveries. Maybe they can figure out a way to keep the item in the database and if you have it in your "orders" you can still click redelivery. 

• Like 5

Now if they can only implement a feature where a listing for a dress in 20 colours is listed as just that .. one dress with a pulldown selector to show you a specific colour inside the listing, we'd go a long way to de-cluttering the mess that MP is.

You know, a thing online retailers have been successfully doing for, I don't know, the past 15 years or so?

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I have noticed some old stores going with some sadness, not sure if related to this, previous purges or if the makers had simply closed their stores. One example the eccentric sculpty creations of Grimm Bros it isn't every day you would want to be wearing a dress with a cage framed dress with patisserie shelf and\or a train set going around it, but I had thought it would always be there to buy when the occasion came around.

I wonder how many historic treasures like that will be or have been purged.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I thought of a use-case where a merchant may be "active" but never logs in:  If they created an Alt account just for the Marketplace (or multiple accounts for multiple MP stores, etc.). Presumably, this Alt account may be used as the "piggy bank" (receive L$ transactions) but not necessarily as "support".

As I understand it, this use-case is covered / "saved" from the "Spring Cleaning" if the Alt account's MP had no sales in the minimum period.  This isn't a very smart way for the MP user to do business, IMHO. 

Although, if they at least understood this new "Cleaning", they'd only need to log in and/or have one of their other accounts buy at least one of each item. I say "not very smart" because, in possibly insulating themselves from users via the Alt account, they may miss on potential sales. 

However again, if they had a Support group that was active, that would help fill the gap (keep users buying if they can get support, regardless if they can contact the MP account).

Ambiguous lion is ambiguous about it, but not to the level of "is it Shroedinger's Lion, or Gwyneth Paltrow's head in the box?!?" ambiguous.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If someone is paying for the land under the garbage, it's not garbage!

Some of the ugly neglected builds on mainland are most definitely garbage. Some have some historic significance, others are just eyesores with no redeeming qualities. I don't know how to formulate a clear policy, but I think some sort of spring clean of mainland would be more value than marketplace database purging. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LexyMarie said:

So, should we put you down as, "Not a supporter for Marketplace Cleanup"?  Note that there are many, many posts on the Forum where users complain about the old and irrelevant items that show up in MP search. I presume that even the current "MP search" fixes that are in progress will not help with most of the old, irrelevant items due to keyword usage, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Some of the ugly neglected builds on mainland are most definitely garbage. Some have some historic significance, others are just eyesores with no redeeming qualities. I don't know how to formulate a clear policy, but I think some sort of spring clean of mainland would be more value than marketplace database purging. 

Would you be ok with someone from LL coming to your parcel and deeming it garbage and that it should be removed? As long as they are paying for the land they have every right to put what they want on that land, whether people think it's ugly or not.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Now if they can only implement a feature where a listing for a dress in 20 colours is listed as just that .. one dress with a pulldown selector to show you a specific colour inside the listing, we'd go a long way to de-cluttering the mess that MP is.

You know, a thing online retailers have been successfully doing for, I don't know, the past 15 years or so?

This right here would make shopping the MP much more enjoyable.  I've been hoping they'd do this for years!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Would you be ok with someone from LL coming to your parcel and deeming it garbage and that it should be removed? As long as they are paying for the land they have every right to put what they want on that land, whether people think it's ugly or not.

If I had a full bright prim build with big glass windows displaying images of people being tortured on moderate land like one neighbor that doesn't appear to have logged in for ten years then I think it possible to allow governance some discretion to apply a criteria around taste.

Besides if I hadn't logged in in 5 or 10 years I wouldn't care anyway as I don't use the land and wouldn't even know. I think I would be more surprised to find it still there.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

This right here would make shopping the MP much more enjoyable.  I've been hoping they'd do this for years!

I agree my heart sinks when searching an item and finding separate listings for every colour of an outfit. It puts me off buying from them at all.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.