The new SL homepage machinima? What do you think?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the nature scene is in Sunnmore as it looks like that and has the hot air balloons. They also have northern lights there which are very pretty. I was just there not too long ago-very pretty sim although if you don't have an amazing setup and really good graphics it probably won't look like the video. It's still really pretty and I recommend visiting it. I love places like that and I wish ll would highlight those aspects of sl more-the nature and beautiful places more often.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

I think the nature scene is in Sunnmore as it looks like that and has the hot air balloons. They also have northern lights there which are very pretty. I was just there not too long ago-very pretty sim although if you don't have an amazing setup and really good graphics it probably won't look like the video. It's still really pretty and I recommend visiting it. I love places like that and I wish ll would highlight those aspects of sl more-the nature and beautiful places more often.

I think you're right. SL has a Sunnmore video on their YouTube channel, too, along with a bunch of other places. All of these locations are so pretty! You can find all of their vids on their main page here, if you haven't seen them yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

I love places like that and I wish ll would highlight those aspects of sl more-the nature and beautiful places more often.

I agree with THIS ^^^ 100%.

But, some of the fantasy sims are truly beautiful, too.  And, I don't even think some of the fantasy builds would even need an avatar in it.  (Sorry bad dress and pose and particles falling over face, but just show an amazing fantasy world is all I am trying to illustrate by putting up an old windlight pic.)

Snapshot_762 (3).jpg

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2

I don't have any problems with the new video in the main page. It's possible that the video is trying to generate interest in SL from groups that all of you or I may not be a part of. Having more people in SL is a good thing even if these people are not any part of your SL. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I think the way they made it, not too fancy is so it can play on any device.

That's an interesting take, I didn't think of that.  It is kind of short but sweet and shows some scenics, some animations (especially with the horses), and some things to do.  

But, I think if each of us made a machinema about our SL, they would all be different.  So, this one is basically fine.  

Once NUX comes along, I think it will a whole new ballgame starting and new videos.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

I mean... you can't ride horses in every virtual world, showcasing the most random stuff you can do, putting furries in the video, I guess can showcase you can be anything you want. I don't hate this video really, is it the best thing in the world? Nah, not by a long shot, but It is better than putting real people into it like last time. However I do miss some good audio to make me feel excited about the video, I would of wanted some more liveliness than all zen-like. I would also want more colors, and showcase of many different type of people and communities, furries, anime, humans, fantasy, scifi, different ethnicities, horse riding, car driving, boats... all of it.

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 1

I thought it wasn't to bad for once. The only two gripes I had with the video was the poor poor quality and also that horse animation (jump waaaay to high).

Still think it would be better if LL showcased a lot more video's on their homepage like the ones others have posted in this thread. Would be easy enough to do as well just get rid of the static images and add the video that people click to play or autoplay on scroll). Another thing they should do is make the blog link in the top menu and far more noticeable that way people can see it is active and make lots of pics and vids not shown easily accessible.

The only other thing I would say that is relevant to the video in question is that, if Linden Lab are going to feature furry avatars on the SL homepage as a way to market, they really should ensure, that when someone clicks that 'Join Free' button, that the avatars they get to select from actually HAS a furry avatar to choose. By not having that option they have just obliterated their marketing move at the very start.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I don't see any video on that page - just a still shot.  What is the url to see this video you  all seem to be able to watch?

This is all I see, no machinima at all:

https://gyazo.com/051d13ee835dd490a7973a8fd73cde61

That is the page. It must be your browser settings.   Works with my ad blocker so that isn't the issue.   You are apparently getting the default static photo for folks that can't see the video footage. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

That is the page. It must be your browser settings.   Works with my ad blocker so that isn't the issue.   You are apparently getting the default static photo for folks that can't see the video footage. 

Hmmm, other videos have always worked and still work, on every site I use. I use Chrome, and get the static page.Tried MS Edge and same thing. So I installed a new Firefox and get the same thing - just a static photo on secondlife.com.  Whatever LL is using for a video codec on their main page, it doesn't work on my browsers (Chrome, Edge, or Firefox).   Never had a web video not play before, and no error messages. 

I am still using WIn 7 Pro, so perhaps LL does not want any new members that still use Win7 to join SL. (Win7 still does everything I use perfectly, and I still get security updates daily from MS, for those that want to lecture me about not upgrading.)  Is this Ageism by LL? Considering their desire to get 20 somethings to join, I would not be surprised.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I am still using WIn 7 Pro, so perhaps LL does not want any new members that still use Win7 to join SL. (Win7 still does everything I use perfectly, and I still get security updates daily from MS, for those that want to lecture me about not upgrading.)  Is this Ageism by LL? Considering their desire to get 20 somethings to join, I would not be surprised.

That's probably your answer.  Hardly anyone is supporting Win7.

image.png.b67206a93ccd2dc281c93f9d82011a88.png 

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

That's probably your answer.  Hardly anyone is supporting Win7.

Windows 7 still works fine.  No support does not mean it will not work.  I have yet to find anything that that is broken in Win7.  Anyway I will find a few other users that can still run WIn7, and see if they can see the video.   I don't expect anyone that is not on WIn7 to be of any help.  All SL viewers still work perfectly on Win7.  It would be ironic if LL puts a OS system check on their newbie signup page, to prevent newbies from seeing their video.  LL is the first software company to break Win7 on their advertising page?   

BTW I said I was using WIndows 7 Professional. MS support ended on Jan 10, 2023 for my system.  Not 2020.  And MS antivirus Security Essentials real time antivirus for WIn7 is STILL getting daily updates, so there is no security risk.

Windows 7 Professional and Enterprise editions will no longer receive extended security updates for critical and important vulnerabilities starting Tuesday, January 10, 2023. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges

I can see the video if I look in the html scripting and find the mp4 video page:

https://assets-global.website-files.com/60a83025d932b623a6a61ff8/642623a110581fdb7142634e_LL Landing Page April 2023-transcode.mp4

But something is stopping it from auto starting in Chrome, Edge and Firefox for me.  I don't see anything having to do with Win7 in the HTML code.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

But something is stopping it from auto starting in Chrome, Edge and Firefox for me.  I don't see anything having to do with Win7 in the HTML code.

I cant even buy lindens via chrome anymore. I had to start using a browser called 'Brave'. That works great, not that I'm recommending it. Worth checking out perhaps.

3 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I cant even buy lindens via chrome anymore. I had to start using a browser called 'Brave'.

Seriously?  I never buy Lindens so would not notice.  I wonder if they have blocked Process Transfers to PayPal for Win7 users. This is getting ridiculous!

I just put in a Limit Sell order for Lindens to Tilia dollars.  That seemed to work ok.  If they block a process transfer because they don't like Chrome, they can send me a check!

BTW I tried Brave.  Same result, no video.  Brave is just a stripped down Chrome with more privacy.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

On 4/23/2023 at 12:43 AM, Jaylinbridges said:

Seriously?  I never buy Lindens so would not notice.  I wonder if they have blocked Process Transfers to PayPal for Win7 users. This is getting ridiculous!

I just put in a Limit Sell order for Lindens to Tilia dollars.  That seemed to work ok.  If they block a process transfer because they don't like Chrome, they can send me a check!

BTW I tried Brave.  Same result, no video.  Brave is just a stripped down Chrome with more privacy.

Could it be on Chrome's end?  Maybe try switching your default browser to Firefox and reboot?  I dunno if it will work though?   

Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 and 8 in January 2023, and all Chromium-based browsers are no longer supported on the platforms, as Google decided to end support for these systems. Mozilla Firefox is one of the few browsers that continues to support these operating systems.Mar 28, 2023

4 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 and 8 in January 2023, and all Chromium-based browsers are no longer supported on the platforms, as Google decided to end support for these systems. Mozilla Firefox is one of the few browsers that continues to support these operating systems.Mar 28, 2023

Yep I quoted that earlier.  I also installed Mozilla Firefox, which does support Win7.  First thing I did was update Firefox to their latest version.  And as I reported, Firefox also only shows the still photo on the secondlife.com main page.  So it isn't Google's end of support, although that is annoying; we all know Google is too small on the verge of bankruptcy, so they had to fire the 2 employees that could still support Chrome on Win7.  (sarcasm mode off now)

Whoever designed the LL mainpage seems to be either ignorant of Win7 or deliberately did a system check when you log into that page, and if using Win7, block the video.   I have asked LL about this in a ticket, but I already can guess their canned response.

• Like 1

I thought it was odd that the homepage ("Flash-type" automatically playing) video had no "click me for a standard type of video" option.

Because it's really just a "background" video.  

If I was a  "web guy", I'd open the page in "source browsing mode" to see how it runs. 

But I iz simple dum lion, protecting my lawn. Git off it.

• Haha 1

I think they should include a slider to understand that the video is a length of time. For those that just go there for transaction details etc, we are going to see that video for 5 seconds possibly. For someone new to SL that is planning on joining it, it was a lot of Furry and meditation etc, and not any indication that that wasn't all it would be, it is also a huge a amount of money to outlay to even come close to that kind of SL they are advertising. They tent to grab a theme and then only cater to that theme for months at a time, when you consider the amount of content created by residents every minute in SL it is surprising that they do not just have the SL Flickr page running a slideshow 24/7 seeing as those images are moderated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I think they should include a slider to understand that the video is a length of time.

This plus, pause / "move to" like any video controls! It's really unusual to see a "video" with no controls, that's why I said it was "Flash-like" earlier.

• Like 1

Video play quality in most cases is a setting. Video embeded in the forum pages start playing at 480p for me, which is noticeably fuzzy. But the videos are often way nice HD.

image.png.ea070a683d96619b17c1f0e6b519a7be.png

However, there are no options on the SL home page.

I suspect the home page's video sucks because it was more important to get a good page load speed. But why it is dark... may be someone's idea of artistic...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

However, there are no options on the SL home page.

They did such a good job embedding it, I couldn't see any obvious source under F12 in Chrome (although I'm not a web developer), etc.

I assume the choice of the "darkened look" is because it is behind stuff, plus a "stylistic choice"?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Added "choice of the"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.