Lab Gab?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's a new Lab Gab scheduled for 9 AM Pacific, this coming Friday, 10 March.* It'll be pre-recorded so they're taking audience questions in advance.

This was mine:

There's a lot of interest in what to expect of NUX avatars (besides "when" to expect them) 

1. Will they be full perm, with all associated assets available to stimulate open content development? I'd hope this would include the avatar 3D models themselves, as well as any distributed clothing/accessory models and content (texture maps, etc)

2. How "PBR-ready" will the NUX avatars be? (e.g., will they come with glTF 2.0 materials pre-installed?)

Also, is there somewhere residents should have been following this development? It all seems weirdly cloaked in secrecy but maybe we just haven't been paying attention to the right sources.

Of course this question may be made obsolete when the NUX avatars are released to great (and surprised) fanfare this week. (Any bets?)

But I'll bet others have much better questions to ask, and maybe yours can stimulate even better ones from others.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I asked two things...both of which are pointless to ask but its more of a personal wish list than anything.

1. Given they have overhauled pretty much every other system in SL. Would the Lab ever consider giving us a new type of prim that has basic point and edge modification capability.

2. Would the Lab consider developing a new viewer with new features at any point that operated on a more modular basis. The base viewer being a simple graphic viewer with inventory but had a modular browser to download such wonders as a basic avatar animation creation viewer add-on, improved and modernised scripting module etc. That also allowed a little more modification than the current LL viewer such as give the option to switch between the V1 style chat and the V3 style chat.

Not things they will do but maybe if im lucky and I put the idea out there it might happen xD

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Thanks 2

On 3/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, Qie Niangao said:

There's a new Lab Gab scheduled for 9 AM Pacific, this coming Friday, 10 March.* It'll be pre-recorded so they're taking audience questions in advance.

This was mine:

Of course this question may be made obsolete when the NUX avatars are released to great (and surprised) fanfare this week. (Any bets?)

But I'll bet others have much better questions to ask, and maybe yours can stimulate even better ones from others.

I liked your questions and have the same curiosities..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I have asked if they will provide official tutorials and documentation for the PBR release so content creators can be educated on optimized content/best practices.

THAT will be interesting to hear about if it is brought up on the video. Traditionally that has rarely been then case with the idea of pushing the confused baby birds out of the nest and if they fly -- they fly :D.  In Sansar it was ESPECIALLY bad with no amount of asking got answers.  Even the devs were very quiet. We got "new shaders" fairly often but figuring it what they did and how they worked was up to the more techy creators who often shared that info on Discord.   I am guessing NOT, but would be thrilled to be wrong.  

• Like 3

I did think of something I would ask..

How come  you keep making the amount of search pages on the MP less and less, but haven't done anything about being able to clutter up the pages the same..

With less pages in search now, the clutter is more intensified.

I don't understand  what giving us less pages per search does other than gives us that are searching a smaller boat.. We need a bigger boat.

• Like 2

Here is, for the record, the question I posted via the form:

When I joined SL (2006), we could build everything with just the viewer build tools and a very basic texture editing software. Nowadays, short of using hyper complex software such as Blender, we cannot build any more modern contents (and this is going to get even worst with PBR materials); we urgently need some in-viewer tools to perform basic mesh modeling (with, e.g., pre-made basic mesh prims and a way to model them like clay, or a mesh hull generation tool that would create an optimized mesh hull out of a SL-prims based build), and materials texture maps generation (and baking, for the compatibility diffuse map). Is there any plan to bring this in the future, or will the Sansar mistakes be repeated and contents creation reserved to experts and professionals ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Kristin Linden said:

giphy.gif

It seems that things got a bit spicy & off-topic right off the bat here, so I've removed some posts.

Please remember to keep your posts relevant & on topic, and keep any personal bickering/grievances off the forums.

Thanks!

Hi Kristin,

The Lab's blog on innovation and privacy notes that you "appreciate all earnest and civil engagement."

Please believe that this is a really genuine question: can you direct us to a venue at which we engage with this issue in such a way that Linden Lab actually has access to our concerns and questions? Because it is abundantly clear that this is still not a "permitted subject" here, and the blog post itself does not permit comments.

Where can we talk to you about this, and be sure we are being heard?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• Administrators

Hey Scylla,

We do understand your questions & your concerns, however it is not an appropriate topic for this particular thread.

As we have mentioned previously in other threads, if you have any concerns regarding the security of your account or your personal information we ask that you please submit a support ticket so we can address them. Due to privacy reasons we are unable to address individual concerns regarding personal information on the forums beyond what you may have seen from us in Blogs or other threads.

Thanks!

Just now, Kristin Linden said:

Hey Scylla,

We do understand your questions & your concerns, however it is not an appropriate topic for this particular thread.

As we have mentioned previously in other threads, if you have any concerns regarding the security of your account or your personal information we ask that you please submit a support ticket so we can address them. Due to privacy reasons we are unable to address individual concerns regarding personal information on the forums beyond what you may have seen from us in Blogs or other threads.

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, Kristin, but I'm a bit unclear now: would a new thread dedicated to a discussion of this very particular subject now be permitted?

• Like 1

There in lies the problem.  There is no where that a vast number of people can voice any concerns about anything WITH LL.  Inworld.where maybe a dozen people attend?  The forums?  Lab Gab where questions and concerns will be hand picked for comment/discussion?

It's sad that after all these years, residents still have no place...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There in lies the problem.  There is no where that a vast number of people can voice any concerns about anything WITH LL.  Inworld.where maybe a dozen people attend?  The forums?  Lab Gab where questions and concerns will be hand picked for comment/discussion?

It's sad that after all these years, residents still have no place...

The intelligentsia (who go to meetings) should charge a fee to bring our concerns to LL on our behalf!

ETA: We'd know if they did, because the meetings are recorded. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying

• Administrators

As per our Forum Participation Guidelines & Community Participation Guidelines, you may not repost or discuss topics that have been previously closed or removed by a moderator or Linden Lab personnel. 

If you have any further questions or concerns, we encourage you to submit a support ticket so that this thread is not derailed any further. 

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

: We'd know if they did, because the meetings are recorded. 

I've watched a few recorded inworld meetings.  They are in English, they're on voice, it's extremely chaotic, I wouldn't attend if you paid me.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

How is it possible that a company can get away with treating their customers this way?

Stockholm Syndrome?

I am still waiting for an answer to the question "Can you recommend what residents can do to reduce lag?" which was promised at SL19B in front of TENS of avatars. I am confident the lack of a response after all these months is not Strawberry's fault, as she is absolutely delightful.

Edited by diamond Marchant
usual typos
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

I asked "Why did Grumpity change her avatar"?

grumpity compare.jpg

I wonder if that's the new system avatar? It's worthy. I not too familiar with female avi creators. She's hiding her hands, not sure if that's only because of the style of the hoddie. 

Edited by benchthis

8 hours ago, Kristin Linden said:

giphy.gif

It seems that things got a bit spicy & off-topic right off the bat here, so I've removed some posts.

Please remember to keep your posts relevant & on topic, and keep any personal bickering/grievances off the forums.

Thanks!

Helloooo! Mrs. Doubtfire! 😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.