Is voice now expected as default for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I have been forced to disable voice chat on my land because many different agents would connect and loudly transmit vulgar, broadly offensive speech until one of us ejected and banned them.  I tried abuse reporting them and got no relief.  When I asked about this at a one of the "town hall" meeting of old, I was told that there is no recording of the content of voice chat so no governance action would be taken.  Block, eject, ban or turn of voice on the parcel settings.  Well, since it was a ceaseless flow of #@)*%#)*&!$  )(&#$)(&#@% you can bet I disabled voice chat in the parcel settings.

That's when the offenders, and possibly others, started flooding text chat with harassment for having "mic" turned off.

..bloody hell!

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..bloody hell!

Yeah, years later we still only enable voice chat briefly, under controlled conditions.  I don't see any reason to provide entertainment to the sorts of people that find that behavior entertaining.  Group voice calls do still work fine with the parcel voice chat disabled.

What we have resorted to for voice communication is closed access groups in SL and Discord.  And there are occasional events where one side of the conversation takes place on a parcel music stream.  It works similarly to radio call-in shows.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 3

On 2/28/2023 at 1:30 PM, Solar Legion said:

... There is no reason whatsoever to "Voice Verify" (or any sort of 'verification') where RP is concerned. None. Period. It is Second Life - for the purposes of RP, you're interacting with the character or avatar on screen almost exclusively.

It's the same BS as from the older Text Chat room days.

The excuses are all the same too.

As is the reality: Such 'verification' is the purview of the paranoid/insecure/etc.

A ton of people don't RP in SL. 

This thread sort of overlaps the other one that was bumped recently. A lot of people like myself are pretty open about who they are irl, and they prefer it that way. A lot of people are using SL as a dating app in the way they'd use other online platforms to meet people irl. It's not my cup of tea personally but i totally understand why anyone in those circumstances would want to know as much about the person they are interested in as possible. That's not being paranoid or insecure, it's getting to know someone on a deeper level than just an avatar on a screen.

To each their own. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

A valid point but the same could be said of people who refuse to use voice, no doubt there are some very talented creators out there that suffer from dyslexia or similar issues affecting their ability to read or write.

I honestly don't understand the aversion to any form of communication be it voice or text, each has its benefits and of course everyone has their preference (and for an unfortunate few there simply is no choice due to a disability of some kind or other) but based on the reactions of some people you meet to the mere suggestion of using voice instead of text you'd think they'd just been asked to sacrifice their first-born or perform lewd acts with barnyard animals.

That being said I do understand people resenting being asked to "voice verify" their gender since that's just creepy, intrusive and really weird but then since I don't bother with most of the "adult-themed activities" my response to that sort of request is usually just to laugh and inform them that no matter what my RL gender may be they aren't my type and I'm just not interested.

I don't have an aversion to using voice. It's the people I try to converse with that have an aversion to having to repeat things they say several times before I can understand what they said. People with high frequency hearing loss do not hear consonants very well. D's sound like p's sound like t's sound like g's... you get the idea. Can't read lips in SL. I just don't see the point in putting other people through hell and ending up with no friends. Oh wait. That already happened. Oops.

Once LL deployed the voice morphing code, voice verification was rendered moot. I won't mention how much harder it is to understand someone using a voice morph.

In many ways, people with hearing loss/deafness have a much harder time online than those who are dyslexic.

I will admit I would much rather lose what is left of my hearing than lose what is left of my eyesight.

• Like 1

I just get tired of the same handful of people asking me over and over if I can hear them, so I've started asking friends to politely tell them that I'm deaf and they should let it go.

I don't own a headset or microphone, and don't feel like wearing such things just for the privilege of hearing a bunch of loud barking noises and people breathing and farting, like last time.

If I wanted that, I'd just sit around on the phone all day.

• Like 1

Returned from a bit of gaming and established that yes, Doom-alikes is sorta a place for me. To take a break. Most recent Doom generations of course, but prefer the sneaky method to the all out one . Tried lots all in between, liked lots, but... Escape from Tarkov? Give me a break!  The voice there is just nuts. Please don't kill me? Nope, not my cup of tea. Prefer my inventory to be intact as well.

More power to you if that is your thing, but like I said I SL is a place for me to breathe. Not just just to land, drink Red Bull for 24 hrs and either go on a rampage, raid or sneak up on an unsuspecting foe. Team or not. Prefer not.

Now, more than ever in 2023, SL is not a game. For me. And a place to be quiet if I so choose.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

And a place to be quiet if I so choose.

I was going to say something similar about SL and voice.  Voice can be hectic.  SL, when I'm not building, is to relax.  

Which got me to thinking about newbies.  The newbie experience can seem overwhelming, especially if one is new to virtual worlds or game-anything like I was when I started SL.  And, I thought perhaps newbies should be rezzed with a box they hold, that says CLICK TO OPEN and it puts a swim suit in their inventory.  The newbies could be rezzed on a beach where they can learn to change, sit and relax, or even do a few activities like wind surfing or other beach activities.  

Just an idea for another time, don't want to go off topic here.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't like voice.  I'm deaf in one ear, so a lot of times even if I have it on I still can't F'ing hear you.  It annoys my RL better half.  He's often doing things like trying to watch tv, watching two guys he likes to watch on Youtube, reading, and having voice on annoys him.  If I wear my headset then if he talks to me - I can't hear him right off which also annoys him.  Also, I have to wear a headset for my RL job. I kind of resent having to wear one when I'm off.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Returned from a bit of gaming and established that yes, Doom-alikes is sorta a place for me. To take a break. Most recent Doom generations of course, but prefer the sneaky method to the all out one . Tried lots all in between, liked lots, but... Escape from Tarkov? Give me a break!  The voice there is just nuts. Please don't kill me? Nope, not my cup of tea. Prefer my inventory to be intact as well.

More power to you if that is your thing, but like I said I SL is a place for me to breathe. Not just just to land, drink Red Bull for 24 hrs and either go on a rampage, raid or sneak up on an unsuspecting foe. Team or not. Prefer not.

Now, more than ever in 2023, SL is not a game. For me. And a place to be quiet if I so choose.

Newsflash, no one is saying you have to use voice. No one official anyway. Everything else is just an opinion. 

Use voice, dont use voice. 

Use a voice mod, dont use a voice mod. 

Quit, don’t quit.

Noodles, don’t noodles.

You are too concerned with what was and what will be. There’s a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

In simpler terms.  You do you, boo. No one cares if you do or do not use voice. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Newsflash, no one is saying you have to use voice. No one official anyway. Everything else is just an opinion. 

Quit, don’t quit.

Noodles, don’t noodles.

You are too concerned with what was and what will be. There’s a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

In simpler terms.  You do you, boo. No one cares if you do or do not use voice. 

dd6f57a7f9cc8a8f7c983ea0986cfbdf2c6ba215

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Quit, don’t quit.

Never understood why the I hate voice threads. It's OPTIONAL

If it puts you at some perceived disadvantage because your voice doesn't match your avatar, if thats a concern for you, or whatever other reason, there are so many places with text chat only in sl. 

I'd hate to see voice be removed as an option because many of us do use it all the time.

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll

49 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

If it puts you at some perceived disadvantage because your voice doesn't match your avatar, if thats a concern for you, or whatever other reason, there are so many places with text chat only in sl. 

I'd hate to see voice be removed as an option because many of us do use it all the time.

And... After telling us "voice haters" how "optional" it is, you then spam us with the tired old "if you don't voice it's because you're a man" voice-spammer meme.

THIS is one of the reasons we hate voice, the way you "It's optional and we enjoy it" types KEEP TRYING TO CONVINCE US WE NEED TO USE IT.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

In all my years in SL, I've yet to encounter ANYONE who tried to convince me I HAD TO USE IT.  🙄

Neither have I, although I don't actually find very many people who use voice, so that's part of it. I don't truly care what choice other people make, and I don't see why they might care what I choose to do. If I ever find myself in a place where voice is required, though, I'll just leave. No big deal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
4 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

And... After telling us "voice haters" how "optional" it is, you then spam us with the tired old "if you don't voice it's because you're a man" voice-spammer meme.

THIS is one of the reasons we hate voice, the way you "It's optional and we enjoy it" types KEEP TRYING TO CONVINCE US WE NEED TO USE IT.

Interesting how your mind automatically went to her saying that if you dont voice with a female av you are a man, when she said nothing of the sort. She said "if your voice doesn't match your av." 

I have recently been wearing Viking garb, tattoos, hair and beard. Doesn't mean i should have a Norse accent. Or be able to speak it fluently. 

No one is trying to convince you to use voice. If the people you are around get bent that you have a male voice in a female av, that's their problem not yours. 

I was making clothing at a sandbox in my female alt and was approached by some newb on voice asking if i wanted to go somewhere private. I popped on voice and said "sure babe, your place or mine?" He lost his mind. I laughed my butt off at his closemindedness. 

TL:DR

You do you, Boo. And don't read into things so much. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I have recently been wearing Viking garb, tattoos, hair and beard. Doesn't mean i should have a Norse accent. Or be able to speak it fluently. 

I'm reminded of the sitcom "Ghosts".  One of the ghosts is a Viking.  He doesn't seem to have an "accent", more of a "gruff attitude".  I guess they didn't think of that when casting a Viking ghost.

8 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And... After telling us "voice haters" how "optional" it is, you then spam us with the tired old "if you don't voice it's because you're a man" voice-spammer meme.HIS is one of the reasons we hate voice, the way you "It's optional and we enjoy it" types KEEP TRYING TO CONVINCE US WE NEED TO USE IT.

Nonsense.

I didn't spam you with anything.  Reasons "your avatar doesn't match your voice", can be anything from age, physical size, height, regional accent, language and yes gender, but you jumped to gender immediately, that's on you. 

Nobody is trying to convince you that you have to use voice, in fact the opposite.  Over the years I've seen lots of threads with people whining about how it ruins their RP and implying everyone should stop using it or it has no place in sl, which strikes me as pretty entitled and selfish.

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.