Is voice now expected as default for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Probably because they were ready to go in the trash.  

If the headset is working without any issues and the sound is still clear why on earth would you throw them away and buy a new set instead of just replacing the ear cushions?

https://www.google.com/search?q=headset+replacement+parts&bih=927&biw=1916&hl=en&ei=1uoEZJ2ENPrP0PEPp7yg4AM&ved=0ahUKEwidx_PCwMX9AhX6JzQIHSceCDwQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=headset+replacement+parts&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzIFCAAQgAQyBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIICAAQFhAeEA8yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjoFCAAQkQI6DgguEIAEELEDEMcBENEDOggIABCABBCxAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQgwE6CwguEIAEEMcBENEDOgQIABBDOgsILhCvARDHARCRAjoLCC4QsQMQxwEQ0QM6CAguEIAEELEDOgcIABCxAxBDOgcILhDUAhBDOggILhCABBDlBEoECEEYAFAAWK0rYM4saABwAXgAgAGMAYgBnA2SAQQyNC4xmAEAoAEBwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Please don't fall for the idea that you (general) must replace everything every year or two like the manufactures want you (general) to do so they can increase profits and keep you (general) poor(er). It isn't always "cheaper" to toss something still usable and buy a brand new one made from finite resources.

Sorry, I just have a hard time watching people waste so much while the landfills bury us under garbage. 🥺

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Understood.  The point I was making in reply is that, for those with a disability that prevents them from using either, the potential loss of nuance would most likely be preferable to being excluded from the conversation entirely.

Yes but I still don't think you understand that the Dinkie and Tiny community *are* word players as well as we make up words, so one will miss all that in local chat if they are just on voice or if AI becomes "the thing" and keyboards are rarely made anymore say some time in the future.  

Like I gave you the example of flee and flea, AI will have difficulty distinguishing that, and if just people are on voice it's impossible to translate that text joke word play into voice.  Plus, take just one word Dinkie's make-up for mouth - which is mouf.  If a Dinkie in character speaks mouf into an AI voice-to-text it would probably translate that word as mouse when that isn't the word at all.  Dinkies make up words all the time and I am trying to explain if one doesn't have a disability and they go to a Dinkie/Tiny sim they'd miss all that word play and funny stuff if they are on voice and not paying attention to local chat.  I wasn't even really speaking about people who cannot be involved in local chat but rather those that can but are on voice when hanging out with the Dinkies and Tinies and that's what I meant by read the room.   Sometimes one is preferred over the other especially if one does have the ability to do both.  I hang out with word players and it's hilarious.  So, all that would be missed in voice.  

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If the headset is working without any issues and the sound is still clear why on earth would you throw them away and buy a new set instead of just replacing the ear cushions?

https://www.google.com/search?q=headset+replacement+parts&bih=927&biw=1916&hl=en&ei=1uoEZJ2ENPrP0PEPp7yg4AM&ved=0ahUKEwidx_PCwMX9AhX6JzQIHSceCDwQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=headset+replacement+parts&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzIFCAAQgAQyBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIICAAQFhAeEA8yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjoFCAAQkQI6DgguEIAEELEDEMcBENEDOggIABCABBCxAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQgwE6CwguEIAEEMcBENEDOgQIABBDOgsILhCvARDHARCRAjoLCC4QsQMQxwEQ0QM6CAguEIAEELEDOgcIABCxAxBDOgcILhDUAhBDOggILhCABBDlBEoECEEYAFAAWK0rYM4saABwAXgAgAGMAYgBnA2SAQQyNC4xmAEAoAEBwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Please don't fall for the idea that you (general) must replace everything every year or two like the manufactures want you (general) to do so they can increase profits and keep you (general) poor(er). It isn't always "cheaper" to toss something still usable and buy a brand new one made from finite resources.

Sorry, I just have a hard time watching people waste so much while the landfills bury us under garbage. 🥺

I tried to get mine off.  They won't come off.  

51 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Personally, I love beating dead horses.on Sunday afternoons.

I don't think having a discussion about how text and voice can vary from sim to sim and why that is, is beating a dead horse.  Some sims are text heavy for a reason, others are voice heavy for their reason.  If I went to a sim with lots of people who may *not* be bots but there is almost no local chat other than an AI greeter, I often assume everyone is in voice and since I do not have voice enabled at this time, the sim is not for me at this time and I move on.  So, I don't think overall voice is expected as a default on any sim but on some sims, maybe yes, because there is almost no local chat.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I have two 12,000 BTU air conditioners that i picked up on trash day in my city.. They needed the filters cleaned. $500 a piece for free. People will throw away things that can be fixed for pennies. I have a stacked component stereo system that just needed a new belt for the record player. with 4 foot tall Bose speakers because they thought they wouldn't work with a new system.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

It sounds like time for some people to step back from the keyboards, take a deep breath, and find something else to do for a while. This conversation has been losing its respectful tone overnight. With luck and cool heads, it might look better today. Let's give it a shot.

I suggest you create a sub forum for something less controversial, like religiion or politics.

Please don't btw :) 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Guess that would make you.... "a usual suspect" . Hey welcome to the club

Not exactly.  The usual suspects are the ones (one in this thread and not you, btw) who come in and spew negative demeaning comments that often get removed or get threads locked.  They don't seem.to know how to make a comment any other way.

My comments don't get threads locked...just sayin'.  I do get antagonized by those people from time to time.  I find not quoting them directly but still addressing what they've said, helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Guess that would make you.... "a usual suspect" . Hey welcome to the club

I don't even know if threads like this are started to call all us female avi's here men or if they are started to find the ones who are on voice.  Heck, they'd get farther trying to ring up the ones who say they do voice then those who say they don't.  

But, law of averages says all female avi's who don't voice are men is illogical and the probability of that being true is nil, and there are those who know they are wrong because we know we aren't a man simply because we don't voice.  Calling others liars is not okay.  It's not beating a dead horse.  I think threads like this are trolling or someone is looking for who they *can* "ring up".    

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I don't even know if threads like this are started to call all us female avi's here men or if they are started to find the ones who are on voice.  Heck, they'd get farther trying to ring up the ones who say they do voice then those who say they don't.  

But, law of averages says all female avi's who don't voice are men is illogical and the probability of that being true is nil, and there are those who know they are wrong because we know we aren't a man simply because we don't voice.  Calling others liars is not okay.  It's not beating a dead horse.  I think threads like this are trolling or someone is looking for who they *can* "ring up".    

This thread, the threads about merchants not selling with Mod rights, is it ok to play as a different gender than you are, and many many other threads are ALL beating dead horses. All of them. Everyone knows you are not forced to use voice, merchants can sell their items however they want, and you can be whatever you want in SL.

No one here said that female avs who dont voice are all men. 

sorry i think is funny , if non voice user feels they are forced to use voice.

nobody can force you , they sit miles aay from you, unles they pit gun on your head and yell..

VOICE NOW OR I BLOW YOUR HEAD..

you cant changes social behaviour, you need to flow like a water, ....................................... or dont.

noone care anyway. this just virtual not real.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

No one here said that female avs who dont voice are all men.

Yeah, they did but it was personally edited out due to us being "sensitive dah-lings".   I have no reason whatsoever to make that up.

However, I feel like I was being "scouted" on the forum, and then when told I don't voice, someone called me names and threw a tantrum which kind of tells me they were craftily looking for "other" information.  Information in their favor to "ring me up".  Oh well, sorry.

41 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

This thread, the threads about merchants not selling with Mod rights, is it ok to play as a different gender than you are, and many many other threads are ALL beating dead horses.

Flogging a dead horse isn't all bad. It gets your blood flowing, and a hearty rant gives your lungs a workout. Heaven knows, those of us who spend too much of our time staring into a monitor need a bit of cardiovascular exercise. It's reasonably safe, too.  A dead horse rarely kicks back, so you can work up a good sweat without having to worry about the horse taking offense and beating on you. The neighbors are likely to shuffle the children back inside, of course, and you'll get a reputation as a local crackpot, but that's not all bad either. You'll stop being invited to all those dreadful block parties that you have been trying to avoid for years, and people will think twice about letting their dogs get close enough to defecate on your lawn in the future. If there's a downside to flogging dead horses, I'd say it's nothing compared to the benefits. (Please don't tell the SPCA I said that.)

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I don't even know if threads like this are started to call all us female avi's here men or if they are started to find the ones who are on voice. 

What? No i was joking with Rowan about flogging dead horses... My comment about "usual suspects" had nothing to do with the thread at all. Just a side bar. A tangeant. 

image.png.fd6eec555d98845d685666349d6541af.png

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll

5 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

For the love of god, can someone actually come out and say what they all want to hear so they can let the moral outrage flow and have their moment in the sun? It's really annoying that no one has done this yet. What are we? Monsters?

What?

7 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

That doesn't prevent you from bacterial infections.  Bacteria colonize for one thing, plus you lay the headsets down constantly onto what...?  I'm looking at a page now that says clean your headset daily.   I clean my electronica but it's not always easy.  Both of ours, mine and yours, the outer fabric disintegrated upon cleaning I said and you said.  Probably because they were ready to go in the trash.  

i mever clean my headset.

I train my body immunity to resist infection. when I was kid my dad throw me out and want me play with mud, and rain, and all dirt. it raisei mmunity.

grin.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

4 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

i mever clean my headset.

I train my body immunity to resist infection. when I was kid my dad throw me out and want me play with mud, and rain, and all dirt. it raisei mmunity.

grin.

Grins back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.