Is voice now expected as default for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I have two 12,000 BTU air conditioners that i picked up on trash day in my city.. They needed the filters cleaned. $500 a piece for free. People will throw away things that can be fixed for pennies. I have a stacked component stereo system that just needed a new belt for the record player. with 4 foot tall Bose speakers because they thought they wouldn't work with a new system.. 

I wish more people would do the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Flogging a dead horse isn't all bad. It gets your blood flowing, and a hearty rant gives your lungs a workout. Heaven knows, those of us who spend too much of our time staring into a monitor need a bit of cardiovascular exercise. It's reasonably safe, too.  A dead horse rarely kicks back, so you can work up a good sweat without having to worry about the horse taking offense and beating on you. The neighbors are likely to shuffle the children back inside, of course, and you'll get a reputation as a local crackpot, but that's not all bad either. You'll stop being invited to all those dreadful block parties that you have been trying to avoid for years, and people will think twice about letting their dogs get close enough to defecate on your lawn in the future. If there's a downside to flogging dead horses, I'd say it's nothing compared to the benefits. (Please don't tell the SPCA I said that.)

Is good practice for piñatas!

7 hours ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

yay-help.gif.c0fc3bae06d57c4f8cc1c41c46b1db6c.gifBut also yes if you intend to do the slexy. No anonymous holiday romances in sl, you hear! *wags finger

But still also no.. You do NOT have to voice to have SLex.. You do NOT have to do anything you dont want to. Voice is not the expected default. The only constant expected things in SL are: rolling restarts, Sim crossing issues, MP issues, griefers at sandboxes, and LL saying "All is well." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

But still also no.. You do NOT have to voice to have SLex.. You do NOT have to do anything you dont want to. Voice is not the expected default. The only constant expected things in SL are: rolling restarts, Sim crossing issues, MP issues, griefers at sandboxes, and LL saying "All is well." 

I was going to add to the list but then I realized you seem to have covered it all. 

47929iAA2160B59A83A9B9.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I wish more people would do the same.

Actually, I didn't mean to really put them in the trash.  Trash can mean "it's done".  But, fortunately, they can be fixed.  

Where I live the Goodwill recycles most electronics. 

What is really making most trash rotten is the food bits and the plastic used diapers that make the trash unrecyclable.  Diapers need a different way to be disposed of, as does wet food waste like a banana peel for example.  The wetness creates rotting piles of mold, fungus, and just a horrible landfill of trash that is now nearly impossible to detoxify.   My grandparents had almost no trash.  Food bits, even coffee grounds went into the garden compost and they used cloth napkins and handkerchiefs and cloth diapers.  We are the instant generations causing all these garbage problems.  But, throwing diapers of poo-poo into a landfill really does need to stop.

Oh, I wanted to add, I believe California will soon only allow dry trash to be thrown out.  Wet things are going to have to be dealt with another way.  I've seen articles where people in California are saying they will make their own compost.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

12 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

All they do is plug in appliances to see if they will turn on. If they do, on the shelf it goes, if it doesn't, it is disposed of. They don't repair anything.

Food is biodegradable which is why it makes good compost.

If the diapers can't go into the landfill where do they go? It would be better to go back to using cloth diapers.

I'm glad I don't live in California. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

Food bits from the kitchen belong in the big metal slop bucket under the sink that at the end of day it gets taken out to the pigs and slopped into their trough. Those beasties will eat anything. (Lessons from the farm never forgotten.)

Demanding voice in SL belongs in that same bucket.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

All they do is plug in appliances to see if they will turn on. If they do, on the shelf it goes, if it doesn't, it is disposed of. They don't repair anything.

Food is biodegradable which is why it makes good compost.

If the diapers can't go into the landfill where do they go? It would be better to go back to using cloth diapers.

I'm glad I don't live in California. 

I don't know what the Goodwill does with it.  Did you work there?   They do sell a lot of it though.  I have one about two blocks from me with half a store of electronics.  Maybe some of it is used for the retro-look for a movie set or something?  But, I know, where I live, we are not allowed to throw out electronics into the trash.  It will be thrown back on your lawn.

I think sooner or later we might not have any choice but to go back to cloth diapers because this garbage problem is ridiculous.  

51 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I don't know what the Goodwill does with it.  Did you work there?   They do sell a lot of it though.  I have one about two blocks from me with half a store of electronics.  Maybe some of it is used for the retro-look for a movie set or something?  But, I know, where I live, we are not allowed to throw out electronics into the trash.  It will be thrown back on your lawn.

I think sooner or later we might not have any choice but to go back to cloth diapers because this garbage problem is ridiculous.  

GoodWill now posts items for sale on eBay!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

GoodWill now posts items for sale on eBay!

I think the Goodwill was one of the first major recycling centers.  I think they used to be called Goodwill Recycling Center even.  I'd have to look it up.  I also looked up in my area, we have an actual electronics recycling number to call.  

But, oh my gah...see why we cannot throw out electronics into our garbage where I live -read this:

Problem #1: Toxins

A lot of the different materials that end up in landfills contain toxins that are eventually released and seep into the soil and groundwater. These substances are major hazards to the environment and can last for several years. For example, think of electronics such as computers, batteries and televisions that get thrown out and end up in landfills. These products contain substances like arsenic, acids, lead and others which eventually end up in our environment and pose threats to public health.

Mercury is another toxic substance that frequently appears in landfills. It comes from fluorescent light bulbs and poses major health risks. Inhaling even a small amount of mercury vapor can harm our kidneys and cause respiratory failure.

1 minute ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I think the Goodwill was one of the first major recycling centers.  I think they used to be called Goodwill Recycling Center even.  I'd have to look it up.  I also looked up in my area, we have an actual electronics recycling number to call.  

But, oh my gah...see why we cannot throw out electronics into our garbage where I live -read this:

Problem #1: Toxins

A lot of the different materials that end up in landfills contain toxins that are eventually released and seep into the soil and groundwater. These substances are major hazards to the environment and can last for several years. For example, think of electronics such as computers, batteries and televisions that get thrown out and end up in landfills. These products contain substances like arsenic, acids, lead and others which eventually end up in our environment and pose threats to public health.

Mercury is another toxic substance that frequently appears in landfills. It comes from fluorescent light bulbs and poses major health risks. Inhaling even a small amount of mercury vapor can harm our kidneys and cause respiratory failure.

FYI - Some companies like "GoodWill" pretend to be charities, employing those without other options, etc. but are actually "for-profit" enterprises. 

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

All they do is plug in appliances to see if they will turn on.

I did some shopping at local Pawn Shops not long ago, and was told at the nearest shop that they actually test electronics. Impressive if true. And if true, that's a few steps above GoodWIll.

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Don't need to work somewhere to know how they do things. I have eyes, ears and a brain. Scary thought that it is, I do use them. And I have been in the position where I had no choice but to buy from Goodwill or I did without. Mostly did/do without.

Throw them back on the lawn? That is littering. 

There are Goodwill stores across the US and people everywhere use them to dump their unwanted electronics and appliances because they can't afford to pay a special service to come in and haul them off. Most of us don't have anywhere we can store those kinds of things until they can be hauled away.

We get one of these brochures every year as a reminder.

image.thumb.png.0dd01d3fc43d7297bcf7d4e363d520ee.png

image.thumb.png.998c72037264bf2450e501764af3173d.png

Even so, I'm still glad I do not live in California. That isn't a reflection on you. I'm just not willing to put up with the bs. 

Almost forgot. Back on topic: Using any of the features in SL is a choice and no one can be forced to use any of them. Except by LL. And even then, you still have the choice to leave SL if you don't care for how things are done.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

What's the topic again?  Oh yes, I have a suggestion.  If you do use voice in Second Life could you PLEASE go to Voice Echo Canyon and talk to yourself for a little while and adjust your settings.  So many people don't seem to know that they are in need of adjustments.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

There are Goodwill stores across the US and people everywhere use them to dump their unwanted electronics and appliances because they can't afford to pay a special service to come in and haul them off. Most of us don't have anywhere we can store those kinds of things until they can be hauled away.

I think it's free in California to have one's electronics picked up.  One can even drop stuff at Best Buy.  I had forgotten about Best Buy because I haven't had a printer for quite some time.  There is also a main toll-free number to call but I don't have any electronics to recycle at this time.  I gave my last computer away when I got my new one as that one still worked.  

Calrecycle's Electronic Recycling Locator - Drop-off locations for computers, laptops and other electronics. Best Buy - Stores will accepts most cell phones, electronics, computers, televisions and ink cartridges and will take them at no charge.

Edited by EliseAnne85

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I think the OP may be asking is it *expected* not as a SL or LL requirement, but more like expected to be accepted in order to be one of the cool crowd.  That's how I read it anyway.

The thing with someone trying to get anyone to use voice is you, by the TOS, are in charge of your personal information including your gender.  If you don't want to reveal your gender via voice, there is no requirement to do so, it's all one's choice and LL takes no responsibility in anyone revealing their gender via voice if one end's up cyber-bullied for instance.   

But, to be accepted, if just about everyone you hang out with is on voice or you go to a sim where everyone is on voice, one has the right to make the decision to join that group or not.  

I kind of feel like the OP is asking about peer pressure or the new cool in-thing otherwise one is an outcast.  

Additionally, it's like asking the question is there mesh avatar snobbery in SL?  Plus, is there voice-only snobbery in SL?  I think the answer to both of those is yes.  But, your personal information and how you share it is up to you.  If someone pressures you for any personal information, it's your right to decline and move on.

Edited by EliseAnne85

39 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I think it's free in California to have one's electronics picked up.  One can even drop stuff at Best Buy.  I had forgotten about Best Buy because I haven't had a printer for quite some time.  There is also a main toll-free number to call but I don't have any electronics to recycle at this time.  I gave my last computer away when I got my new one as that one still worked.  

Calrecycle's Electronic Recycling Locator - Drop-off locations for computers, laptops and other electronics. Best Buy - Stores will accepts most cell phones, electronics, computers, televisions and ink cartridges and will take them at no charge.

The closest Best Buy is about 3 towns over from my town.

My point being many people do not live in a big city and do not have the same access.

Can we please get back on topic now?

3 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Actually, I didn't mean to really put them in the trash.  Trash can mean "it's done".  But, fortunately, they can be fixed.  

What is really making most trash rotten is the food bits and the plastic used diapers that make the trash unrecyclable.  Diapers need a different way to be disposed of, as does wet food waste like a banana peel for example.  The wetness creates rotting piles of mold, fungus, and just a horrible landfill of trash that is now nearly impossible to detoxify.   My grandparents had almost no trash.  Food bits, even coffee grounds went into the garden compost and they used cloth napkins and handkerchiefs and cloth diapers.  We are the instant generations causing all these garbage problems.  But, throwing diapers of poo-poo into a landfill really does need to stop.

Oh, I wanted to add, I believe California will soon only allow dry trash to be thrown out.  Wet things are going to have to be dealt with another way.  I've seen articles where people in California are saying they will make their own compost.  

There were about 2 billion people on the planet in the early part of last century, we have quadrupled the population in 100 years. I think that has more to do with the garbage issue than anything else.  Disposable diapers hit the mass market in 1961. That is not my generation. I was born 12 years later. Don't blame our generations on things that our parents and grandparents made popular. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I have eyes, ears and a brain. Scary thought that it is, I do use them.

Fans himself.

Aherm. Hrm. Peeve: when you're trying to come up with a peeve to get back on topic, but you aren't even in the pet peeve thread!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

There were about 2 billion people on the planet in the early part of last century, we have quadrupled the population in 100 years. I think that has more to do with the garbage issue than anything else.  Disposable diapers hit the mass market in 1961. That is not my generation. I was born 12 years later. Don't blame our generations on things that our parents and grandparents made popular. 

I think it's fairer to say that popularization of disposable diapers later in the century changed the garbage issue than to imply that Baby Boomers created the problem.  My children were born in the 70s, as you were, and I never used disposable diapers. There was still a robust industry for laundry services that would pick up your bucket of soiled (rinsed) cloth diapers and leave you with a pile of freshly washed ones. And, of course, you could always wash them yourself.  Either option was lots less expensive than buying disposables.

Things changed over the next decade or so as young parents decided that rinsing diapers and dropping them in a bucket was too much work and those laundry services went out of business. Disposable diapers may have been invented in 1961, but it took another quarter of a century for the generation after mine to make them popular enough to kill off the old cloth ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.