Bring back Ratings!! - A Proposal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And yet with 15,700 posts in a  "public" forum, I'd point out you do regularly what you don't do inworld. Why is that? (rhetorical question)

Because I 'know' all you people now.  So just as inworld at usual spots, I'm fairly comfortable.  As I said in my post, if there's chat going on in local at the couple of places I frequent often, then I'll join in if the subject interests me.  Same here.  If it's not a subject that interests me, I don't post.  Simple as that.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Are you socializing in local or just sending IM's? That's what is being discussed here, the lack of socializing in Local.

I haven't been in the human venues since about 2017 but it seems to me that the host/hostess is the one who used to keep the local chat going and upbeat and sometimes a little crazy and fun.  I don't know what is currently going on in the human scene with host/hostesses but I do know in the Dinkie and Tiny community we rarely have any events with a host/hostess as it's too expensive.  Dinkies/Tinies are chatterboxes anyways.  We tend to be more in local than IM.  I often don't even see I got an IM until hours later.  But, if I remember from the human scene, it was the host/hostess that kept up local chat.  

But, I was wondering why you are bringing up lack of local chat, are you thinking that too many places have bots or something along that line?  

15 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

But, I was wondering why you are bringing up lack of local chat, are you thinking that too many places have bots or something along that line?  

Because that is what the thread is about once you see past the specific methodology the OP is proposing:

it was an incentive to throw parties that invariably involved a lot of profile reading, chatting and making friends. All the good things we frequently lament SL not having anymore.

So other than yourself mentioning the dinkies chatting in local, 3 other posters stated they see lots of Local chatter but when asked where, its just been crickets so far. What the clubs and venues seem to be mostly filled with nowadays are bots and display mannequins. Newer people come in and sometimes make a remark about how quiet it is and whether there is actually anyone not afk and after not getting any response, leave and or log out. And then we wonder about the lack of user retention. A ChatGPT might actually be a welcome addition as at least it is something other than the normal silence on this social platform.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

What the clubs and venues seem to be mostly filled with nowadays are bots and display mannequins. 

I see this sometimes when it's a live artist event at a club and all that is is stupid lag and extremely annoying.  More Dinkies and Tinies would probably go to the live artist event *if* they got rid of that stupid, annoying, and useless lag. 

Many human avatar live artists are at Dinkie and Tiny events.  Maybe join Small Talk and think of coming to Wootstock.  It's a 3-day event of all live artists, most of whom are in human avatar but there are a lot of Dinkies and Tinies there as well and human avatars are welcome too.  As far as what's happening for 24/7 in SL, that sounds kind of like it's dead now.  Better to get with some scheduled events maybe.   And, clubs could certainly loose the bots.  It's nothing but annoying lag if not downright silly.

Edited by EliseAnne85

Assertion: Just because "we" the majority of Forumites who reply here regarding the original proposal, do not seem to support the idea, does not mean that the Second Life community of users will not support, use, and enjoy the idea of Ratings as proposed.

Just an assertion. Based on all the replies, I am pretty sure very few will agree.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Here not her
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

One thing that the Dinkies and Tinies have is a centralized group called Small Talk where events for all the Dinkie/Tiny sims can send out notices.  This helps with needing less groups.  I don't know how humans could take that calendar idea and combine groups into one more common group of many sims the way Dinkies and Tinies do.  But, it could help, for certain activities - boating being one.  Dinkies and Tinies have boating, yatching events too but those events would be announced thru the central group Small Talk which is for all events.  

As far as socializing and this proposal, I'd rather see SL implement things that are exciting.  This proposal just isn't.  SL needs a new "Gacha", imo.  

Yup, I've heard the tiny community is pretty active. The fantasy community is as well, but we're rather spread out since we're kind of...all over the map, literally. Easier to find each other when the big fantasy/sci-fi shopping events are on.

Discord's been a huge help for that - the fantasy server I'm in is pretty big, but getting more people involved and organizing events in-world is the main challenge. We've talked about putting up a calendar in the store and linking up with other fantasy and roleplay sims to let them advertise events there. We've got some fun ideas and want to get even more things going, but the store owner and devs are busy little bees at the moment prepping some massive product updates, so the outreach is currently on hold.

1 hour ago, Caeruleiae said:

Nothing, which is why it's a bad idea. I think some people struggle to see, or acknowledge, that people are out there socializing. Maybe those people aren't out socializing themselves so they don't see it. But I see it all the time, people do get out there, socialize just fine. When people come here or groups in world looking for places to go, they get answers, they find places.

This has been my experience, too. In-world -  groups are pretty chatty in general. Stores, sales groups, community groups, etc. Since I mostly shop these days, I just tend to chat with people in stores. I don't worry at all about local vs. IMs - people have been little zombie IM monsters since I joined SL ages ago. That's not an issue for me and hasn't hindered anything in my experience. Local chat, if anything, can be more obnoxious at times between the vendor spam and gesture spam and notice spam and online/offline spam and so-n-so is now known as so-n-so spam. I'm mostly in IMs or group chats myself.

And stop talking about fishing - you're making me want to pick that back up again!! 😂 It was pretty fun when I tried it! 

1 hour ago, Caeruleiae said:

The destination guide sucks, but from what I've read it has always sucked, so that's not much of a surprise. 

Yup, 100% agree. The destination guide needs some love. Good events happen. Finding them is a whole other challenge. It took me a long time to learn there's someone out there (with a great voice, I might add) who hosts story time events in-world and narrates fantasy and horror stories. I need that in my life!

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And please list a few places where you see this "lots"? I will go check them out.

Mostly clubs, but also fishing events, sandboxes if there are a bunch of us there, and not the premium ones since I can't get in those. Any new people friendly place where you find more than a few people, you'll find them chatting. Once someone gets a conversation going, it's pretty easy to keep it going. I'm more talkative on the forums than I am inworld sometimes, but if people get to talking, more join in. Sometimes just a quick - how's everyone doing today in local inspires a nice chat.

Yes it shouldn't be up to the few, but it always is and rl is exactly the same. I don't know why anyone expects sl to be different. 

2 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

Mostly clubs, but also fishing events, sandboxes if there are a bunch of us there, and not the premium ones since I can't get in those. Any new people friendly place where you find more than a few people, you'll find them chatting. Once someone gets a conversation going, it's pretty easy to keep it going. I'm more talkative on the forums than I am inworld sometimes, but if people get to talking, more join in. Sometimes just a quick - how's everyone doing today in local inspires a nice chat.

Yes it shouldn't be up to the few, but it always is and rl is exactly the same. I don't know why anyone expects sl to be different. 

Quoting myself to add, try rock clubs and country clubs, if you like their music, and if there are more than ten actual people there you can almost guarantee a conversation can be started if its not already. I've had less success with -top 40 type clubs, R&B and clubs that play similar things, mostly because they are just afk people or doing their own thing, and also, I don't like the music. I avoid metal clubs and adult-dancer oriented clubs out of personal preference. Not because I don't like adult things, but because those are meat markets and I'm not a pork chop. I also avoid the few clubs that call themselves pg, for the exact same reason, it's just not done in local, and it's doubly annoying when I just want to socialize, chat in local and listen to some good music. 

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Discord's been a huge help for that - the fantasy server I'm in is pretty big, but getting more people involved and organizing events in-world is the main challenge. We've talked about putting up a calendar in the store and linking up with other fantasy and roleplay sims to let them advertise events there. 

I know some Dinkies and Tinies who are involved in the Fantasy Sci-Fi events and it's a big deal for them.  Their yearly favorite.  I've never been myself but you could talk to the person who runs the group, Small Talk.  Try thinking of weekends to start your events too, maybe, or the owner of Small Talk group may have some ideas to share.  One centralized inworld group per theme or activity really helps because then you don't need a lot of groups.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Assertion: Just because "we" the majority of Forumites who reply here regarding the original proposal, do not seem to support the idea, does not mean that the Second Life community of users will not support, use, and enjoy the idea of Ratings as proposed.

Just an assertion. Based on all the replies, I am pretty sure very few will agree.

I'm sure a ton of people would love the idea.  Not for any engineered social aspect of it, though.  It'll be a competition between friends or enemies.  It'll be for the Ls.  It just won't be used, IMO, in any way that increases user sociability.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Make IMs a premium ploos feature (limited to 56 messages per week, and introduce a new IM tier akin to the land tier for those wanting to use more). Either LL strikes gold, or everyone starts chatting in local - or both things happens! Or the entire platform empties in days, but eh - progress?!

Edited by Orwar
My e-key is half-borked.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So other than yourself mentioning the dinkies chatting in local, 3 other posters stated they see lots of Local chatter but when asked where, its just been crickets so far. What the clubs and venues seem to be mostly filled with nowadays are bots and display mannequins. Newer people come in and sometimes make a remark about how quiet it is and whether there is actually anyone not afk and after not getting any response, leave and or log out. And then we wonder about the lack of user retention. A ChatGPT might actually be a welcome addition as at least it is something other than the normal silence on this social platform.

The last party I went to was the Fallen Gods Fishmas party, where we hit each other with fish. People talked in local. This is normal for parties in my experience (talking in local, rather than the fish). It's also normal for things like DJ sessions at big events like Fantasy Faire.

Which is why you get puzzlement when you ask people, because those who mainly do parties and big events are used to people talking in local. It's weird to imagine that clubs are all in IM. People who go to clubs are used to everything being in IM, so don't believe anyone talks in local. A clubber who wants to chat has the choice of either waiting for the clubs to change or trying some things outside of the clubs.

I wouldn't get too hung up about local chat though. Groups are still one of the best ways to meet people, because you don't have to be in the same place and you don't have to carry the whole conversation. Groups that are very social also tend to be the ones to hold parties where people talk to each other (and possibly hit each other with fish).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Make IMs a premium ploos feature (limited to 56 messages per week, and introduce a new IM tier akin to the land tier for those wanting to use more). Either LL strikes gold, or everyone starts chatting in local - or both things happens! Or the entire platform empties in days, but eh - progress?!

ACTUALLY, this is the best alternative proposal that I've seen in this thread.  You wouldn't need a separate tier. Just charge $L1 per message after the first free 56. Then you'd get people talking in Local. "hey Orwar...I'd like to IM you. Do you have enough $L's to have a private conversation?" It might however ruin SLsex in IM if you happen to run out of $L at the very end. ;)

24 minutes ago, Orwar said:

No I has a better idea!! Put one of these on and then jump on the dance floor..

It won't be long before people start to gather and and then start IMing each other asking what's the catch?

hehehe

1579903659_RLVSetup1_001.thumb.png.ec7f3b346664ec7886acd93541affa55.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Oh good-god, no.  We don't need the above, Love.  

One thing SL peoples, Coffee's idea JIRA is supposed to get people out to mingle more by possibly going to rating's parties.  Parties cost money unless you plan to have no DJ.  And this JIRA proposal offers a Premium person up to 100 linden a month.  100 linden a month won't even cover a tip for one party with a DJ.  

LL devs needs to get with the times here about how much things cost.  It's 2023, not 1980.  

Each week you can buy a house for 75L at the sales :)   Making it more like 1823....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

No I has a better idea!! Put one of these on and then jump on the dance floor..

It won't be long before people start to gather and and then start IMing each other asking what's the catch?

hehehe

1579903659_RLVSetup1_001.thumb.png.ec7f3b346664ec7886acd93541affa55.png

Is that one of those "farting" toys! lol!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

ACTUALLY, this is the best alternative proposal that I've seen in this thread.  You wouldn't need a separate tier. Just charge $L1 per message after the first free 56. Then you'd get people talking in Local. "hey Orwar...I'd like to IM you. Do you have enough $L's to have a private conversation?" It might however ruin SLsex in IM if you happen to run out of $L at the very end. ;)

Yeah, good idea ... Number 1 proposal to run Second Life deeper in the ground.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

...stated they see lots of Local chatter but when asked where, its just been crickets so far

There's a club night I often go to on Fridays and Saturdays, that I often go to... It's a lively active place for 4 hours.

I would NEVER share the slurl for the place with YOU...

Based off your posting history, and the positions you take, the friend who runs the place would punt kick you in seconds, then ask me why I invited you...

Your overentitlement is showing, don't assume that a thread about encouraging local chat is a place for you to score places to visit.

Edited by Zalificent
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

All these posts from folks claiming to have found spots where chat/IMs flow freely: yeah, okay—but it's nothing like it was when SL was really growing! I mean, everybody talked to everybody, and everybody kept bumping into everybody, it was hard to find a place to work except in your own skybox (which couldn't be above 768m). The world was crowded and very socially active (even for us introverts).

I don't think ratings had much to do with it, to be honest. Apparently ratings brought some folks together for responsive reading of profiles or something, but I must have missed those soirées. There were many gatherings, though. I remember The Thinkers in particular, and the Sunday afternoon Show And Tell. There were various very social building contests, too, but those were killed by Sculpties and then especially Mesh.

Point is, there are a bunch of reasons why the occasions for social interaction are rarer and more circumscribed now than they were when SL was growing by leaps and bounds. Making them more common and spontaneous again would change SL for the better, there's just no denying it. But I have no idea how to do that.

12 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

I wouldn't get too hung up about local chat though. Groups are still one of the best ways to meet people, because you don't have to be in the same place and you don't have to carry the whole conversation. Groups that are very social also tend to be the ones to hold parties where people talk to each other (and possibly hit each other with fish).

Yeah, and fortunately the Lab is working on improving Group Chat. Just this week, Simon announced the group chat history functionality, just waiting now for viewers to make it available to users. So that's a win.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

All these posts from folks claiming to have found spots where chat/IMs flow freely: yeah, okay—but it's nothing like it was when SL was really growing! I mean, everybody talked to everybody, and everybody kept bumping into everybody

Breaking NEWS! :

80,000 noobs screaming at each other when there was only about half of current mainland and no estates, generated more local chat spam then 55,000 veterans spread across 27,000 regions...

PICTURES at 11...

Who knew?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.