Is wagering on an argument considered gambling?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you were in a club in SL and a fight broke out between two patrons. Then another patron starts taking bets on the outcome. Would wagering on this be considered gambling? Who would be in trouble? The person setting up the bets? The bet makers? Those arguing? The club?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't think the gambling policy is aimed towards bets between friends, I'd consider that a private arrangement which, frankly, is none of nobody's business. It's not as if the police would show up at your place because you're playing Poker with some friends and put some money in the pot for the winner to buy a decent bottle of whisky with. But if you're starting to run around the club taking bets from 50 different people and someone gets offended enough to AR you, you might get slapped on the fingers.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

If you were in a club in SL and a fight broke out between two patrons. Then another patron starts taking bets on the outcome. Would wagering on this be considered gambling? Who would be in trouble? The person setting up the bets? The bet makers? Those arguing? The club?

Not from a "gaming-in-SL" perspective becanse winning an argument would not count as "material gain".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

If you were in a club in SL and a fight broke out between two patrons. Then another patron starts taking bets on the outcome. Would wagering on this be considered gambling? 

You should IM the club host...they give better odds 😉 And it's then officially legal,* unless the host cheats and ejects one of the arguers!

Actually, I think that would be a great idea during a set - everyone form a circle around two patrons and watch them have a fight in the middle of the club 👊 The winner can request a tune!

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Who would be in trouble? The person setting up the bets? The bet makers? Those arguing? The club?

Say a bot started it 😉

(* maybe?)

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

You should IM the club host...they give better odds 😉 And it's then officially legal,* unless the host cheats and ejects one of the arguers!

Actually, I think that would be a great idea during a set - everyone form a circle around two patrons and watch them have a fight in the middle of the club 👊 The winner can request a tune!

Say a bot started it 😉

(* maybe?)

What happens in fight club stays in fight club! \o/

Now I gonna hafta tattle on U 4 tellin R sekrets!

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 4:32 PM, Bree Giffen said:

In the US, gambling and gaming are two different things. Gaming is when you participate in legal, state sanctioned wagering. Gambling is when you place bets or wager at locations or online platforms that are not permitted in the US, which remains a criminal activity. So, anyone participating can be prosecuted for gambling.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:32 PM, Bree Giffen said:

If you were in a club in SL and a fight broke out between two patrons. Then another patron starts taking bets on the outcome. Would wagering on this be considered gambling?

From the Linden Lab perspective, absolutely NOT gambling. LL is not concerned with the legal concepts of "game of chance" or "something of value" or "a bet". Rather, they use "regulatory climate" aka RC. The RC for bar fights is "warm and sunny" so no problem.

37 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

From the Linden Lab perspective, absolutely NOT gambling. LL is not concerned with the legal concepts of "game of chance" or "something of value" or "a bet". Rather, they use "regulatory climate" aka RC. The RC for bar fights is "warm and sunny" so no problem.

LL is only concerned with "Skill Gaming", right?

• Moderators

Greetings!

Gambling/Wagering in Second Life is strictly forbidden under the Second Life Terms and Conditions. 

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions

"Gaming that qualifies as gambling that is prohibited or requires a governmental license or other approval under any applicable United States or international law is always prohibited under the Agreements."

Second Life Gambling/Wagering Policy

Skill Gaming is heavily regulated. 

Second Life Skill Gaming Policy

Social Gambling, that is, a friendly bet/wager, usually between friends, is sometimes regulated differently, depending upon where you live, so it is always advised that you check the regulations in the area where you live. 

Making a bet between friends may or may not be enforced, depending upon the nature of the betting/wagering, so I would only caution that anyone considering engaging in any type of betting/wagering be aware that it could lead to action against the accounts participating and before engaging in any such activity, to be fully willing to accept any consequences if any such action does happen. 

• Like 3

On 1/31/2023 at 8:48 AM, Silent Mistwalker said:

In the US, gambling and gaming are two different things. Gaming is when you participate in legal, state sanctioned wagering. Gambling is when you place bets or wager at locations or online platforms that are not permitted in the US, which remains a criminal activity. So, anyone participating can be prosecuted for gambling.

28 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings!

Gambling/Wagering in Second Life is strictly forbidden under the Second Life Terms and Conditions. 

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions

"Gaming that qualifies as gambling that is prohibited or requires a governmental license or other approval under any applicable United States or international law is always prohibited under the Agreements."

Second Life Gambling/Wagering Policy

Skill Gaming is heavily regulated. 

Second Life Skill Gaming Policy

Social Gambling, that is, a friendly bet/wager, usually between friends, is sometimes regulated differently, depending upon where you live, so it is always advised that you check the regulations in the area where you live. 

Making a bet between friends may or may not be enforced, depending upon the nature of the betting/wagering, so I would only caution that anyone considering engaging in any type of betting/wagering be aware that it could lead to action against the accounts participating and before engaging in any such activity, to be fully willing to accept any consequences if any such action does happen. 

That has got to be the longest, most verbose echo I've ever heard. 🤭

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Hello, Silent Mistwalker

Perhaps my reply would have been better understood had I quoted who I was replying to instead of assuming everyone would understand when they saw my post directly beneath another one?

"LL is only concerned with "Skill Gaming", right?"

Cheers~

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Hello, Silent Mistwalker

Perhaps my reply would have been better understood had I quoted who I was replying to instead of assuming everyone would understand when they saw my post directly beneath another one?

"LL is only concerned with "Skill Gaming", right?"

Cheers~

That always helps!

I was teasing since we both said the same thing just in different words. Mine being more general than yours. 😁 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.