10 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Peeve: Getting two jars of Kimchi, while never having Kimchi before, but getting two jars anyways because, Fermented foods are good gut food..

Then opening one of the jars in the house.. Moments later seeing my husband smelling the dogs and coming into the kitchen.. I think the dogs brought something  around the house!

I already tasted some and really couldn't smell or taste anything bad at first.. Then after a bit I was like, OMG It's the Kimchi?

I closed the jar and then looked at my husband and was like, Is it supposed to be like that?

He yelled, How in the hell would I know, I never even heard of whatever that is..

Is this normal for Kimchi or did I get a bad batch?

I mean even the boys came in and  it hit them right away.. I could open that jar right now and send the whole house into a fit.. hehehe

When I got it , I thought well if I don't like it at first, I can try to acquire a taste for it like a lot of things that are supposed to be good for you.. But I think I met my match with kimchi.. Or maybe it's the brand or different mixes or something..

This one just doesn't seem like it's right or it's just not for us or something.. That or I'm doing something wrong! \o/

I want to like it but I don't know.. Have any of you had Kimchi before?

This is the brand

JON101_580x.webp.c7e5270ffa4be38d69fe5704ce4dcff3.webp

Reasons why Koreans have a separate fridge for kimchi 🤣

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

LOL

I think that's what I ordered from Amazon. It wasn't refrigerated. Will let you know when I open mine.

I was thinking of opening the other jar to see, but I don't know.. It took a bit to get the smell gone.. hehehe

It's fermented, so refrigerating it really is only for having it last longer..

It looks really good and can't help but think maybe it has to air out or something at first.. it didn't really taste bad, but could taste  it in the aftertaste some..  I just couldn't believe how  it just invaded ever room in the house.. hehehehe

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I was thinking of opening the other jar to see, but I don't know.. It took a bit to get the smell gone.. hehehe

It's fermented, so refrigerating it really is only for having it last longer..

It looks really good and can't help but think maybe it has to air out or something at first.. it didn't really taste bad, but could taste  it in the aftertaste some..  I just couldn't believe how  it just invaded ever room in the house.. hehehehe

Well, since there is a web page about how to get rid of the smell...

https://kimchi-recipes.com/how-to-get-rid-of-kimchi-smell/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Kimchi is good for you!  And fresh garlic too!

I use fresh garlic all the time plus have other fermented veggies and meats. I just wanted to try it because it looked like it would be good.. That smell is just too much..I'm gonna guess it's the fish doing that more than the other things in it..

They have a vegan kind which probably doesn't have the fish.. Maybe I'll try that one..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Kimchi is good for you!  And fresh garlic too!

I use fresh garlic all the time plus have other fermented veggies and meats. I just wanted to try it because it looked like it would be good.. That smell is just too much..I'm gonna guess it's the fish doing that more than the other things in it..

They have a vegan kind which probably doesn't have the fish.. Maybe I'll try that one..

I get this fermented stuff at the health food store...like fermented cabbage or radishes...Bubbies brand.  No bad smell, and I think it has the same health benefits as Kimchi.  I only ordered Kimchi because I didn't want to place an order at the health food store and pay the delivery fee.

*just checked and yeah Kimchi has fermented anchovies in it (same brand as yours).....ewwww...lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I get this fermented stuff at the health food store...like fermented cabbage or radishes...Bubbies brand.  No bad smell, and I think it has the same health benefits as Kimchi.  I only ordered Kimchi because I didn't want to place an order at the health food store and pay the delivery fee.

*just checked and yeah Kimchi has fermented anchovies in it (same brand as yours).....ewwww...lol

I'm gonna look into the vegan kind.. Because I can't see anything other than fish putting out that dead smell like that..

Hopefully you have the vegan kind coming.. otherwise open it outside first.. hehehe

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The anchovies would kill it for me.  I wouldn't even try it.

Peeve: Yeah, I can't even have "fish sauce" since becoming vegetarian. However, Marmite seems close (and is "close enough" to being vegetarian). A little marmite + garlic = fishy (is my theory). Or better than garlic for this purpose, asafoetida. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The anchovies would kill it for me.  I wouldn't even try it.

I don't suppose I could tempt you with a surströmming or two then? 

On 12/2/2023 at 2:46 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

Omg  that looks like such good riding weather.. I'll call in sick on a day like that and get some friends and we'll ride that all morning and then hot chocolate and just talking around the fire place..

Those days are so rare here.. I love the snow, especially when the sky is clouded out like that and you get more bigger flakes just kind of floating down..

I really hope we get some good snows down here this year.. It's mostly just been rain.. Bleh

I'm in such envy right now..

Peeve: That I can't send the hateful snow to those who actually like the stuff. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Tonight I'm going to try getting it on with my girlfriend while being fully clad in pajamas. I'll update you tomorrow. Tell you how it went. 

Peeve: That I have had to remove my original comment before I pressed "submit reply".

(I am sure it was fun)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Peeve: Getting two jars of Kimchi, while never having Kimchi before, but getting two jars anyways because, Fermented foods are good gut food..

Then opening one of the jars in the house.. Moments later seeing my husband smelling the dogs and coming into the kitchen.. I think the dogs brought something  around the house!

I already tasted some and really couldn't smell or taste anything bad at first.. Then after a bit I was like, OMG It's the Kimchi?

I closed the jar and then looked at my husband and was like, Is it supposed to be like that?

He yelled, How in the hell would I know, I never even heard of whatever that is..

I mean even the boys came in and  it hit them right away.. I could open that jar right now and send the whole house into a fit.. hehehe

When I got it , I thought well if I don't like it at first, I can try to acquire a taste for it like a lot of things that are supposed to be good for you.. But I think I met my match with kimchi.. Or maybe it's the brand or different mixes or something..

This one just doesn't seem like it's right or it's just not for us or something.. That or I'm doing something wrong! \o/

This is the brand

Even just plain boiled cabbage makes the house smell funky and lingers in all the soft furnishings, I can only imagine what the stench from this jar must be like. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

This is the brand

I love kimchi. I eat it all the time. Chop some up and toss it in soba noodles with diced avocado and poached egg. You can stir fry it into fried rice. It can be eaten by itself as a side dish with a bowl of rice, which is the simplest Korean meal. You can put them in mac and cheese:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I love kimchi. I eat it all the time. Chop some up and toss it in soba noodles with diced avocado and poached egg. You can stir fry it into fried rice. It can be eaten by itself as a side dish with a bowl of rice, which is the simplest Korean meal. You can put them in mac and cheese:

If the Vegan version doesn't do what the one I got did, then I'm gonna look forward to using it  in dishes and things..

The one I got was just too invasive.. I'm hoping the vegan one will be better..:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Well the mac and cheese part looks good!  Fortunately, I did not succumb to the temptation for noodles (and the wheat within them) for dinner, and had veggies instead.

I think I get it though...use the stuff in recipes for flavoring.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If the Vegan version doesn't do what the one I got did, then I'm gonna look forward to using it  in dishes and things..

The one I got was just too invasive.. I'm hoping the vegan one will be better..:)

There are many variations for kimchi recipes. I think any formulation with anchovy or seafood in it may account for the funky smell. The funkier types is an acquired taste. The vegan version usually don't give off a big smell as the meatier counterparts. When storing them in the fridge, keeping an open container of baking soda may help reduce the odor. The live bacteria in kimchi will continue to ferment and release gasses. So you'd want to loosen the lids once in a while to let the gas escape or the liquids will leak out or lid popping off. If you let kimchi sit around long enough, it will develop a fizziness. It's completely safe to eat and I found it quite fun eating carbonated kimchi in fried rice or jeon (pancake).

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

There are many variations for kimchi recipes. I think any formulation with anchovy or seafood in it may account for the funky smell. The funkier types is an acquired taste. The vegan version usually don't give off a big smell as the meatier counterparts. When storing them in the fridge, keeping an open container of baking soda may help reduce the odor. The live bacteria in kimchi will continue to ferment and release gasses. So you'd want to loosen the lids once in a while to let the gas escape or the liquids will leak out or lid popping off. If you let kimchi sit around long enough, it will develop a fizziness. It's completely safe to eat and I found it quite fun eating carbonated kimchi in fried rice or jeon (pancake).

I'm gonna try that then, because I love food that I acquire a taste for.. I can always tell that I can like something more and more..I love the whole process of acquiring a taste for something..

It's really rare that something really has me saying , noooo.. hehehe

I'm for sure going to try different kinds because I really want to like it and give it a good chance and get it into dishes or something to add into bites..

• Like 2