So.. First we had actual 'free' gifts at events.  Then some started charging small amounts, but rather than calling the items Cheapies or something like that, they still called them "gifts".   

Now.... at an event that I just went to, the merchant had mentioned there was a GIFT at the event.  Come to find out, the event has Mystery Boxes containing an item from each vendor - and you get the Mystery Boxes for free after spending a certain amount at the Event.  Sorry, but if I have to spend money to get an item, it is NOT a GIFT.

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So.. First we had actual 'free' gifts at events.  Then some started charging small amounts, but rather than calling the items Cheapies or something like that, they still called them "gifts".   

Now.... at an event that I just went to, the merchant had mentioned there was a GIFT at the event.  Come to find out, the event has Mystery Boxes containing an item from each vendor - and you get the Mystery Boxes for free after spending a certain amount at the Event.  Sorry, but if I have to spend money to get an item, it is NOT a GIFT.

There is one event at the moment with "gifts" for 50L each. Some of these "gifts" are packaged so that you can't even tell what you are getting, not even the name of the object tells you what is inside. Now I got an awesome 50L sweater from that event, so I don't mind paying for stuff but don't call it a gift, and do provide a preview image if you want people to buy from you.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Come to find out, the event has Mystery Boxes containing an item from each vendor - and you get the Mystery Boxes for free after spending a certain amount at the Event. 

1 hour ago, Mistress Morbid said:

There is one event at the moment with "gifts" for 50L each. Some of these "gifts" are packaged so that you can't even tell what you are getting, not even the name of the object tells you what is inside.

/me sniffs the air...

Hmmm, pay money for a random thing, smells like "ILLEGAL GACHA" to me, I thought that scam had been banned by the Lab.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Hmmm, pay money for a random thing, smells like "ILLEGAL GACHA" to me, I thought that scam had been banned by the Lab.

Yup. As per the wiki: "For the avoidance of doubt, any content sold in Second Life must present the purchaser with a clear understanding of the item to be received at the time of sale."

- https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Gacha_policy

I'd AR it, as it's a clear violation.

• Like 7

Peeve: I just updated Blender to v4.0.2 .. .. From v2.6.

The mouse buttons are inverse of what they used to be, so I keep miss-clicking stuff. I don't use Blender a lot, but it's still going to take some getting used to!

On the bright side, the UI now looks the same as in videos so that I don't have to pause and spend several minutes to figure out where something is (if it at all exists) because it isn't in the same place as where they show in the videos! 

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Come to find out, the event has Mystery Boxes containing an item from each vendor - and you get the Mystery Boxes for free after spending a certain amount at the Event. 

4 hours ago, Mistress Morbid said:

There is one event at the moment with "gifts" for 50L each. Some of these "gifts" are packaged so that you can't even tell what you are getting, not even the name of the object tells you what is inside.

/me sniffs the air...

For the 50L 'gift', yes - that sounds like basically an illegal Gacha.

For the "Mystery Boxes", they are technically more like a Loyalty Gift or Bonus after spending a certain amount at the Event.  And all of the vendors do have pictures of what their Mystery Box item is (that means it isn't really a "mystery" at all).  So it isn't a Gacha, but I still think it is misleading for a merchant to say they have a "gift" for you at the event and you go there and find out that you can only get said 'gift' as part of the big loyalty item after spending a certain amount at the event.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Yup. As per the wiki: "For the avoidance of doubt, any content sold in Second Life must present the purchaser with a clear understanding of the item to be received at the time of sale."

- https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Gacha_policy

I'd AR it, as it's a clear violation.

Hmm -- Taking that to the extreme, even the 10L cheapie "gifts" violate the Gacha policy.  And what about Hunt prizes that cost money but don't show you what the item is?

Personally, I'd love to see pictures of hunt prizes beforehand, so that I could decide whether any given prize is worth my time hunting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmm -- Taking that to the extreme, even the 10L cheapie "gifts" violate the Gacha policy. 

It's not 'taking it to the extreme', though, it's right there in the rules - it doesn't matter if an item is L$10 or L$100,000; you're supposed to know exactly what it is you're paying for.

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And what about Hunt prizes that cost money but don't show you what the item is?

Same applies, either the hunt prize must be free, or you must know what the prize is before you purchase it. 

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For the "Mystery Boxes", they are technically more like a Loyalty Gift or Bonus after spending a certain amount at the Event.

Those are outright in violation with the rules, in accordance with the FAQ:

b40c757b27c8e84e0e1499441971aada.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Mistress Morbid said:

There is one event at the moment with "gifts" for 50L each. Some of these "gifts" are packaged so that you can't even tell what you are getting, not even the name of the object tells you what is inside. Now I got an awesome 50L sweater from that event, so I don't mind paying for stuff but don't call it a gift, and do provide a preview image if you want people to buy from you.

That is surely violation of the policy that makes gachas forbidden now?

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: I just updated Blender to v4.0.2 .. .. From v2.6.

The mouse buttons are inverse of what they used to be, so I keep miss-clicking stuff. I don't use Blender a lot, but it's still going to take some getting used to!

On the bright side, the UI now looks the same as in videos so that I don't have to pause and spend several minutes to figure out where something is (if it at all exists) because it isn't in the same place as where they show in the videos! 

I love Blender 2.8+ interface but I am yet to be able to actually export a rigged model successfully from it... I'm no expert though. I keep 2.79 installed as well for export duty.

Skin creators who simply ignore multiple notecards you send them. Polite ones. Not even a "Sorry, I'm busy right now but I'll have a look at the problem later". Nothing. I know you guys have a first life, we all do and that's always more important than anything else. But ignoring customers completely is something I'm highly allergic to.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sabrina Nebula said:

Skin creators who simply ignore multiple notecards you send them. Polite ones. Not even a "Sorry, I'm busy right now but I'll have a look at the problem later". Nothing. I know you guys have a first life, we all do and that's always more important than anything else. But ignoring customers completely is something I'm highly allergic to.

Those who are making an income from their sales would not be eligible to justify or excuse their lack of customer service on real life obligations. My peeve would be against those who try to.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Orwar said:
16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For the "Mystery Boxes", they are technically more like a Loyalty Gift or Bonus after spending a certain amount at the Event.

Those are outright in violation with the rules, in accordance with the FAQ:

image.png.ede469bbe585d9193250048c89d41402.png

The so called Mystery Boxes are not actually unknown items though.  They call them that, but every vendor at the event posts a picture of what their contribution to the Mystery Box is.  The name is just misleading.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Some people love "hunts" and "gifts" so much, now they don't mind paying for them!

I often do hunts just for the fun of hunting and I don't mind paying a couple of L$ for the prizes.  However, I do much prefer the creators and hunt websites that provide pictures ahead of time.  Especially these days when my time in SL is more limited and so I want to only spend time hunting for prizes that I might actually like and want to keep.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The so called Mystery Boxes are not actually unknown items though.  They call them that, but every vendor at the event posts a picture of what their contribution to the Mystery Box is.  The name is just misleading.

Seems the mysterious part about the box is why it's called as such, then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Peeve: this forum needs more active moderation, there's so many posts in the wrong forums and it makes it harder for users to fix their problems.

Right now there is an ongoing issue affecting many users where they are not able to log in, if you read the entire forum (many subforums) you'll see their posts but many of them are not in the correct tech support forum.

The existence of many confusingly named forums doesn't help matters, really there should be a Support forum with subforums under it related to specific (and in many cases niche) things like the SL Server etc.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pet Peeve: Certain "Christmas-time" mentions remind me of a children's book in our house (which could have been from my dad), "A Christmas on the Isthmus".  In it, Santa makes a special trip to the "Isthmus of Panama".  The Peeve is, I hadn't ever heard of the book besides my own childhood memories.

..becomes Pet Delight: I just found "Christmas on the Isthmus" online and ordered a copy!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1