5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That'll work for a bit - a couple days at most. Then you'll get a longer wait for the X to appear. Then the 3 strikes version of the popup (you can watch 3 videos before we block you). Then it'll embed the warning directly into the video player with no way around it and won't remove it until you disable all ad-blockers.

Fun stuff! 

I don't even know what ad blockers I have going..  This is how companies get when they get too big. They start pushing you around.

ETA: Honestly, I don't have too much patience for companies that have gotten too big for their britches..

I'll spank them off my list of places just like any other.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'll spank them off my list of places just like any other.

Maybe this sounds sad, but I can't imagine life without it :/ It's my number one site for language tutorials, recipes, news and documentaries, looking up PC or phone problems, and especially music...no other video site comes close, in my opinion. Even just watching people walking around cities at night is better than most of the rubbish on TV...

There are brilliant YT creators who DO earn good money from it, but it is often in spite of YT, who can demonetise them for the slightest thing...but I think quite a lot of people are annoyed by it, and will find a way around it...I'm going to check out the link Ayashe posted 👍 It's stopped showing me that message and is now just black with a spinning white wheel for 10 seconds...it is like my AdBlock is fighting back a bit xD

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Maybe this sounds sad, but I can't imagine life without it :/ It's my number one site for language tutorials, recipes, news and documentaries, looking up PC or phone problems, and especially music...no other video site comes close, in my opinion. Even just watching people walking around cities at night is better than most of the rubbish on TV...

There are brilliant YT creators who DO earn good money from it, but it is often in spite of YT, who can demonetise them for the slightest thing...but I think quite a lot of people are annoyed by it, and will find a way around it...I'm going to check out the link Ayashe posted 👍 It's stopped showing me that message and is now just black with a spinning white wheel for 10 seconds...it is like my AdBlock is fighting back a bit xD

I don't  get it that often at all.. I mean since I've been home from work, which has been around two hours now.. I may have seen that pop up three times so far tonight..

I would think all you would have to do is allow youtube with your add blocker.. put it on the white list or whatever that is..

I've always had the adds , so I don't know what's gotten up their butt really..

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't  get it that often at all.. I mean since I've been home from work, which has been around two hours now.. I may have seen that pop up three times so far tonight..

I would think all you would have to do is allow youtube with your add blocker.. put it on the white list or whatever that is..

I've always had the adds , so I don't know what's gotten up their butt really..

Oh no, I just meant I wouldn't ditch YT altogether. It's definitely a peeve, not a crisis :) The ads are just really really annoying, so I use AdBlock for everything...they seem to be rolling out this adblocker ban in stages, I will probably get the '3 videos' warning soon...

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Guess paying for YouTube Premium, I forget they have Ads..!

It's expensive though 😬 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Same same same. I need it! PEEVE! YouTube and Twitch are my entertainment and learning bread and butter. I mostly use them for gaming content (I save so much money watching others play games I'm not 100% sure I want to spend money on and it makes for fun background noise), live music performances (shoutout to Marc Rebillet and Harry Mack!), and DJ sets. YouTube-specific uses - music videos, livestreams, how-tos for virtually everything, freelance and business content, graphic/web design tips, cooking tutorials, travel content, crafting (knitting, sewing, jewelry-making, clay modeling, etc.) content, on and on and on and on. YouTube's insane with their pricing model, tho, and they are so quick to mess with content creators for the silliest reasons. Even Twitch isn't that wild.

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Even just watching people walking around cities at night is better than most of the rubbish on TV...

I thought I was the only one who did this! I binge live street food/cart cams and 4K walking videos. I'll lose an entire afternoon watching someone wander around Singapore in the rain or eat their way around India. Dubai at night is also great. Very glitzy! 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

ACTUAL Peeve: Laptops no longer come with CD/DVD readers, which means I have to buy an external one to watch movies and/or load older software onto them.

While my last laptop did not have one, my more recently new desktop does - I was surprised, actually

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've not only got "Adblock", but also 'uBlock Origin', 'Auto Refresh Blocker', and 'AutoplayStopper' - and I don't have any problems with playing things at youtube.

The more bots the better! On my to add list 👍

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

The more bots the better! On my to add list 👍

Careful with that. Check the pinned post over on the uBlock subreddit first (the one with near 3,000 comments). The uBO devs are on it, and they do not recommend stacking adblocks at all.

Edit: That's a peeve - having to learn so much technical stuffs just to exist on the innerwebz in 2023. Learned way more about how this software works than I ever wanted to know.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Peeve 👎

image.png.0749f514b0656e857020abd80a6e7fbe.png

SAME! This has actually been happening for about a week, and then today, they ramped it up with the "video will be blocked in 3 views" bs with no way around not turning that blocker off (so the refresh, etc. won't work anymore on it)

They finally defeated one of my blockers, jerks. But, I have others they haven't defeated yet! 

I will block any dang ole ad I want to block youtube. Good luck trying to stop me!! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yep, heard that before - and heard the opposite as well.  I've had multiple blocking extensions running for a long time and seldom ever have any issues with it.

They meant with regard to YouTube's new fiddling over the last few days. It could interfere with their current workaround solution.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While my last laptop did not have one, my more recently new desktop does - I was surprised, actually

Mine has one too.. It's nice having a hard copy of the operating system. :)

I always wonder, what do people do that don't have one if they have problems with their operating system?

12 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I don't think it sounds at all sad (although I might be a sad case too). Seriously, I love a late night walk around Blackpool or to look inside the worst hotel in different towns, or see how my favourite Russian family are getting along. Pure escapism is what it is. 

And the tutorials on things like how to bleed radiators, connect filling loop on boiler, clean inside radiators, other super dooper tips are fascinating to watch. 

If I have a peeve, it's some of the suggestions for the shorts really get on my boobies. 

• Like 4

The thing about ads that really peeves me is I can't block them on my android  phone.  So I just rarely google or read anything beside my kindle on the phone. Web sites that I love to read on my laptop are just garbage on my phone so I just don't go there. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Mine has one too.. It's nice having a hard copy of the operating system. :)

I always wonder, what do people do that don't have one if they have problems with their operating system?

My PC never came with a hard copy of Windows and has no DVD-Rom. I've got a digital license. So, I downloaded the media creation tool from Microsoft and used it to create a Windows boot disc on a USB flash drive. That's what you'd use to reinstall Windows. No DVD needed.

• Thanks 1

Heh...this thead has made me nostalgic...I used to have a Mac and remember downloading Snow Leopard from a CD when it came out...I think Lion or Mountain Lion might have been my first online upgrade. 

You can buy a small disc drive with a USB cable if you want to burn CDs onto the new laptops...but to be honest, I just find it quicker to re-download music for free from Soulseek.

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

If I have a peeve, it's some of the suggestions for the shorts really get on my boobies. 

Yes, me too, and one in particular I keep getting recommended (I don't know why), which is a bunch of people doing 'urban pranks' 😡

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I use Vivaldi, and haven't had any problems either. Though since Vivaldi uses Chrome extensions, I suppose that's hardly surprising. 

Hadn't heard of Vivaldi before but thought I should mention that though my Chrome with Adblock hasn't been showing ads in Youtube, it has been slow to load new links of late. I was blaming a recent modem change from my ISP but since you mentioned this other browser I thought I'd try the Brave browser with Adblock I downloaded a while back and never really used. I noted right away that new links loaded quickly and played immediately without ads. What I am suspecting is that Chrome might be slow loading new videos because it actually is playing the ads but adblock is hiding it behind a black screen leading me to think Chrome was still working without ads but really it isn't.

Anyway those seeing ads now might want to try https://brave.com/ to see if they have better luck with a ad free experience.