3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Peeve.  Finding adorable hair and seeing this...

without hair...

withouthair.png.4aac0ed1a256611b9ce4439c1992d0b3.png

With hair...

withhair.png.9a9245c18602755ceca2f1bab1401966.png

What's wrong with that? Only around 14000 complexity. Seems pretty minimal, not that it really matters anyway since complexity isn't a good gauge of the load put on the viewers according to the viewer devs.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

What's wrong with that? Only around 14000 complexity. Seems pretty minimal, not that it really matters anyway since complexity isn't a good gauge of the load put on the viewers according to the viewer devs.

It's the 1M plus triangles and not the complexity.  We're always checking triangles with items we buy to rez out yet are fine with millions for one hair?   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's the 1M plus triangles and not the complexity.  We're always checking triangles with items we buy to rez out yet are fine with millions for one hair?   

"They don't count against my LI, and IDC if someone else can see me or not." <= possible answer

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

"They don't count against my LI, and IDC if someone else can see me or not." <= possible answer

Yeah, I never pay attention to the complexity anymore when we've been told that doesn't matter as much as triangle count and textures.  I just see no reason to make something with 1M plus when I've seen similar hair with WAY less.  If it effects you when it's rezzed out, I'm going to assume it effects you when you're wearing it.  Your viewer has to render it regardless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought he meant "convenience stores" (like 7/11)!

57 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh true, but those don't carry anything healthy, that's for sure, lol.

I mean, we did have a bunch of supermarkets and grocery stores and restaurants doing the 24/7 thing a loooong time ago (including diners - oh man, those were the days), but those are long gone. Not sure why, exactly. The latest we've got are Walmart and Target, which close at...11pm, I think.

7/11 was originally open from 7am to 11 pm, but some close earlier due to the risk of late-night robberies. Many other stores close earlier for the same reason, depending on the crime rate where they're located. Many of the larger grocery stores in my city are open from 6am to midnight and will have one or more security personal on duty. Target (a large store similar to Wal-Mart) recently had police help in craking down on theft by customers. Daylight "smash and grab" robberies, especially of jewelry stores, have been up lately too.

Food deserts are a real problem in low-income areas where people may not always have a car and public transportation might not run late or reliably.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Oh ok could be though I thought the upload limit was 64K triangles or something. I must be thinking of something else. 

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's one of my peeves. Southern states are the cheapest (on average) to live in but they are the lowest paying because they are Right to Work states. One of the major reason I got out of the south and will never go back.

Ooo, I couldn't go South for looooooots of reasons. I read that places like Texas, Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia are pretty big destinations for fleeing city-dwellers and others who have been priced out of neighborhoods up in the North, but that's all a big ole nope for me. That doesn't leave a ton of options of course (I'd also say no to the Midwest and West, for reasons), so I'm pretty much left with island territories and researching digital nomad visas to nope all the way out.

That is a whole other set of peeves right there. Visas are a PIA.

58 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Our neighborhood gas station/mini-mart has a huge selection of healthy choices.  The have a display of fresh fruit!  We have the best little store in town.

Oh, you're lucky! My area has very good grocery stores with weekly sales, places like Costco and BJs, Target has reallllly great food, Aldi's, etc., so my region isn't suffering too badly when it comes to healthy food access either IF people can afford it, but I know when you get into certain areas in NYC and upstate, things can get pretty real.

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Food deserts are a real problem in low-income areas where people may not always have a car and public transportation might not run late or reliably.

So much this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Oh ok could be though I thought the upload limit was 64K triangles or something. I must be thinking of something else. 

Maximum Number of Triangles

There is not a maximum # of triangles a model can have, however the number of vertices is limited to 65,536.

• Thanks 1

I received an email yesterday from a graduate student researcher who wants to talk with me because he is working on a form of AI that will automate the grading of work (essays and essay answers for tests) submitted by students in the Humanities.

In other words, we'll apparently soon have AI grading student work generated by AI. No humans necessary at all!

The Singularity has arrived.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Our neighborhood gas station/mini-mart has a huge selection of healthy choices.  The have a display of fresh fruit!  We have the best little store in town.

Fresh fruit are pretty safe, but there's been a lot of looking-into some of the 'health foods' available on the market, and a lot of them are hardly any better than their 'non-healthy' counterparts. Some studies have even found that certain big-brand fast-food places' salads contain more calories and even worse sodium levels than their most infamous 'big meals'. Buying a salad or a sandwich with a ton of greenery and 'whole grain bread' in a plastic box/wrapping is seldom going to be anything near 'healthy'. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

Fresh fruit are pretty safe, but there's been a lot of looking-into some of the 'health foods' available on the market, and a lot of them are hardly any better than their 'non-healthy' counterparts. Some studies have even found that certain big-brand fast-food places' salads contain more calories and even worse sodium levels than their most infamous 'big meals'. Buying a salad or a sandwich with a ton of greenery and 'whole grain bread' in a plastic box/wrapping is seldom going to be anything near 'healthy'. 

The pre-packaged wraps and salads they do sell are from the farmer's market store right down the street from the gas station.  It's the go-to place in town for top-quality produce.   Aside from growing it yourself, they're the only place in town we buy fruits and veggies and it's awesome that they've joined with the gas station to provide healthy options.  

I'm sure that it's not the norm for most 'convenient stores so I count myself lucky.

• Like 4

When factories start to cook your meal: Health is out of the window for most part. They concentrate on price margins and taste.
That is a good rule of thumb.

Frozen veggies or canned ones are almost as healthy as fresh veggies, as long as the factory did not make a dish out of it. At least, that is what I've always been told by my dietician.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Anti-peeve: Mixing plain yogurt with the salad dressing for packaged salads and then using half as much of their high salt, high oil dressings.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I received an email yesterday from a graduate student researcher who wants to talk with me because he is working on a form of AI that will automate the grading of work (essays and essay answers for tests) submitted by students in the Humanities.

In other words, we'll apparently soon have AI grading student work generated by AI. No humans necessary at all!

The Singularity has arrived.

I hope he has a massive budget and a few good years to train it.

I can't say a whole lot for reasons, buuuuut I wouldn't trust AI to help me plan a birthday party, let alone grade essays.

Peeve: I seriously thought this trend would fade as quickly as NFTs and I'd be out of a job by now, but boy was I wrong!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I hope he has a massive budget and a few good years to train it.

I can't say a whole lot for reasons, buuuuut I wouldn't trust AI to help me plan a birthday party, let alone grade essays.

Peeve: I seriously thought this trend would fade as quickly as NFTs and I'd be out of a job by now, but boy was I wrong!

We have a dedicated senior administrator with staff who is now tasked with developing a university-wide policy on, and approach to AI.

Most of us assumed that the point of the appointment was to develop ways to deal more effectively with submitted work "authored" by AI but submitted as the student's (or researcher's) own.

Wrong! He's an enthusiastic advocate, and tells everyone who listens how AI is going to be a wonderful cost- and time-saving tool!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
AI might have taken more care of its grammar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

When factories start to cook your meal: Health is out of the window for most part. They concentrate on price margins and taste.
That is a good rule of thumb.

Frozen veggies or canned ones are almost as healthy as fresh veggies, as long as the factory did not make a dish out of it.
At least, that is what I've always been told by my dietician.

Frozen veggies retain much of their nutrients, but canned ones tend to have vitamins leach out into the cooking water. Canned goods have also gotten more expensive lately due to the increased cost of metal cans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We have a dedicated senior administrator with staff who is now tasked with developing a university-wide policy on, and approach to AI.

Most of us assumed that the point of the appointment was to intended to develop ways to deal more effectively with submitted work "authored" by AI but submitted as the student's (or researcher's) own.

Wrong! He's an enthusiastic advocate, and tells everyone who listens how AI is going to be a wonderful cost- and time-saving tool!

Cost and time-saving makes me straight up guffaw knowing how much money and labor goes into some of this stuff and how long it can take to see any real results (only for the AI to fall right back into its terrible behavior patterns shortly after making progress). 

Humanities you said? It's going to take so much work to get an AI up to speed on those topics. I saw one yesterday spit out the most horribly offensive slop in response to a simple request to help set up a harmless dad joke, LOL.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

The USA invented the 24/7 stores. Just saying....

But, unlike much of Europe (at least based on what I hear), the vast majority of people are not in walking distance to a store and between kids & jobs, many can still only get to the store once a week.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Ours has a section that they label as "fresh fruit", but it looks anything but fresh.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Anyone who does not have WaWa in their area, doesn't know what they are missing in the "quality, fresh food" department!

Having grown up in Salem County NJ .... I hear ya on that!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Frozen veggies retain much of their nutrients, but canned ones tend to have vitamins leach out into the cooking water. Canned goods have also gotten more expensive lately due to the increased cost of metal cans.

Veggies always leak into the cooking water. That's why fresh uncooked salads are preferred vitamin and mineral wise.

But when one cooks veggies at home for dinner, the end result between fresh, frozen or canned veggies isn't really big.
Canned veggies only have to be made warm, not cooked again. Fresh and frozen veggies one has to cook for minutes, so some of the vitamins and minerals leach out into the cooking water too then.

So basically you are right for the moment the food enters your house, but the situation has pretty much equaled the moment you eat the cooked veggies.

The difference between home cooked fresh, frozen or canned veggies and industrial fabricated meals is a lot bigger.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1