Major Peeve: I noticed today while blog hopping for sales, that a skin maker is very obviously using AI in its ad for something they did for an event-there is no way a SL skin is ever going to look like that. This is troubling and akin to false advertising IMO. Either don't use AI or have some disclaimer that clearly states the image was enhanced with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think on most cases this only works for felonies, unfortunately.

I suppose that varies by country or region and on looking up what a felony is, I've never done anything that warranted a year or more in jail but have had some misdemeanors long ago which did seem to exclude me from ever being asked to do jury duty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

Major Peeve: I noticed today while blog hopping for sales, that a skin maker is very obviously using AI in its ad for something they did for an event-there is no way a SL skin is ever going to look like that. This is troubling and akin to false advertising IMO. Either don't use AI or have some disclaimer that clearly states the image was enhanced with it.

So it was just the ad that was ai'ed and not the skin itself? I would personally love to buy a skin that was ai'ed as I have seen some very nice ones that were unfortunately still a part of the avatar.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So it was just the ad that was ai'ed and not the skin itself? I would personally love to buy a skin that was ai'ed as I have seen some very nice ones that were unfortunately still a part of the avatar.

Definitely the ad, there is no way a skin is going to look like that in SL-it's just not possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think on most cases this only works for felonies, unfortunately.

I think Maine is the only state that allows felons on juries with no restrictions.   Seems odd though since it would be closer to, "A jury of your peers" if they allowed them.  🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I got 2 replacement permanent crowns put in today at the dentist. That's not the peeve.

The assistant was a "trainee", and the dentist talked him through every step.

Yikes! 

Yes, I hate it when they do that on air flights too 👎

• Thanks 1

Where I live, when you go to get your hair done, if they are training someone new and want them to do your hair they a) ask if that's OK and you can refuse, b) you often get a discounted rate if you let them.

I think that concept should flow to anything where you would expect skilled/professional services at those kinds of prices.

Never had a trainee do dental work but if it were me I would probably ask to be rebooked for a time without a trainee.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Never had a trainee do dental work but if it were me I would probably ask to be rebooked for a time without a trainee.

Luckily all he did was assist with the final gluing in of the permanent crowns, with the dentist directing every step.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Where I live, when you go to get your hair done, if they are training someone new and want them to do your hair they a) ask if that's OK and you can refuse, b) you often get a discounted rate if you let them.

I think that concept should flow to anything where you would expect skilled/professional services at those kinds of prices.

At the Paul Michell salon school in my city, you can choose between having a A student or one with a lesser standing to do your hair. You'll pay more for an A student, but it's still cheaper than most salons.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Peeve - being added to store update lists without my consent, it is one way to guarantee I never buy anything from you again. Abuse report is also a good option.

I probably have half my favorite stores blocked just to avoid their stupid notices of when they release something new . I never hop on new stuff.  I just shop when i feel like it , so it's annoying .

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 5:23 AM, Modulated said:

Another skin related peeve - no demos. I am seeing this a bit lately. Taking a chance to pay up to 1k lindens for something that might not even look good on your avatar, no thanks. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Peeve - being added to store update lists without my consent, it is one way to guarantee I never buy anything from you again. Abuse report is also a good option.

SL *really* needs to fix this. Provide a central system to register/opt out of these things and harshly punish people who do not use the system.

It is quite annoying to log in and get bombarded with windows about stuff I have been registered for, opting out of it all is an absolute pain and deliberately so - if you even can.

It's spam and it's annoying!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

SL *really* needs to fix this. Provide a central system to register/opt out of these things and harshly punish people who do not use the system.

It is quite annoying to log in and get bombarded with windows about stuff I have been registered for, opting out of it all is an absolute pain and deliberately so - if you even can.

It's spam and it's annoying!

It's spam when it's not wanted, but I don't think it's necessarily Linden Lab's job to get rid of it. When we're sent a notice or a message, the viewer (at least the Firestorm viewer) lets us know where it came from. If it came from a subscriber, you can usually teleport to it and unsubscribe yourself. Sometimes store owners put their subscribers where they can't be teleported to, which is evil imo, so you might have to block the owner of the subscriber. Recently, I've also found web-based subscribers that can auto-subscribe for several different stores. The ones I've found show a list of all the stores that subscribed you, when this was done, and lets you unsubscribe from them from their website list.

Tips:

1. Follow the link in chat to the subscriber.

2. Turn on Show Invisible and look behind walls and under floors for an invisible subscriber box. Unsubscribe here by clicking on the box, if possible.

3. If the box is owned by or created by a 3rd party that subscribes for multiple stores, follow their link to their website and unsubscribe from every store that put you on their subscription list.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If it came from a subscriber, you can usually teleport to it and unsubscribe yourself.

That is hugely inconvenient though, in my opinion anyway.

A single button "opt out" solution would be superior to this and it should also be the case that nobody is ever opted in without explicit permission which simply isn't the case right now, you are added to these things automatically.

We took a stand against email spam with legislation around the world that forced single link unsubscription - I appreciate it's very much an honour system but major companies do adhere - and I feel SL really should have something similar.

I know there's ways of blocking your way out of this annoyance but it's such a frequent one that I think instead of working around the problem maybe it should be tackled in a more proper way with a TOS update to bolster it.

• Like 4

Pet Peeve: Sometimes it feels like Turbo is trying to smother me when he cuddles. First he pushes the pillow over my face, then he lays on my chest.

ETA: This is real, I did not setup the picture in any way, except to point the camera at us.

image.png.93bf9170e439e04aa8ef57da6138d592.png

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

On 2/20/2024 at 5:23 AM, Modulated said:

There is a shape maker on the marketplace who uses FaceApp or something to add big open-mouth smiles to all the pictures of his shapes. He sells a lot of shapes so the shape section of the marketplace is full of them. I am sure that if anyone buys those shapes they will be very disappointed with the results. Talk about false advertising.

Edited by Stephanie Misfit
  • Like 1

Peeve: I bought another set of bone conducting headphone because I loved my phillips ones so much and love listening to music at work.. but the phillips ones I would have to charge mid way through the day.. So I got another pair for the other part of the day..

The peeve is that I got the shokz Openrun pro, and they blow my phillips away.. The difference is like , night and day..

Now I have to hope that my new ones will last most of the day and  only have to listen to an hour or two of lower quality sound..

Life is so hard!! \o/

• Like 4

The Brave browser has suddenly stopped working.  To my knowledge I haven't done anything that would have stopped it accessing anything at all - even Brave's own site.  It doesn't work in a Private browser window or standard.  I'm having to use Firefox with all its ads and lack of my Favourites or Passwords.  :/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

The Brave browser has suddenly stopped working.  To my knowledge I haven't done anything that would have stopped it accessing anything at all - even Brave's own site.  It doesn't work in a Private browser window or standard.  I'm having to use Firefox with all its ads and lack of my Favourites or Passwords.  :/

I was using it last night yet with no problem although I can't check right now because the power is out this morning. Soon as it's back on I'll try it again and report.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I was using it last night yet with no problem although I can't check right now because the power is out this morning. Soon as it's back on I'll try it again and report.

Hope you get your power back soon - that's worse!

• Like 1