4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Did someone say Koreans smelled?  Kimchi smells.  So do brussel sprouts.  No one says Belgians smell.  

Belgians smell a bit. But honestly Rowan you seem like the type who always smells like she just stepped out of a spa. 

Edited by Robberinthemuseum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When wine was made by stomping grapes with bare feet (not "bear feet"), did the feet add to / enhance the fermentation and/or resulting flavor?

Probably. Washed rind cheese, such as Limburger and various Danish cheeses get their distinctive flavour because the process develops the same sort of bacteria as human feet do (not to be confused with the butyric acid in Parmesan cheese which is the same stuff 'Murricans use to vomit-flavour their chocolate), it's why opening a Danish cheese gives you flashbacks to that one time in high school when you found a pair of dirty socks in your gym bag that had hung out getting funky since the previous semester (some people appear to mistake this for their life flashing before their inner eyes, and decide the smell means they're in a life-threatening situation). 

It's delicious though. 

Gamle%20Ole.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Peeve: As someone who lives in Limburg (and a cheese lover) I can tell you: Limburger is an awful cheese.
Just the smell of it.
My excuse: Limburger is produced in the Belgium part of Limburg, while I live in the Dutch part  :D

Peeve2: Now I'm craving for some Gouda.

Edited by Sid Nagy
As always.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I love smelly cheese. I especially like when you leave Stilton long enough in the fridge that it becomes extra ripe and sweaty.

To be fair though plenty of cheeses are smellier but blue cheeses are the cheesiest cheese possible.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I love smelly cheese. I especially like when you leave Stilton long enough in the fridge that it becomes extra ripe and sweaty.

Better yet, put stilton in a jar with a bit of vodka and let it stand for a few months or a year. A better gingerbread biscuit topping does not exist! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Peeve: Swenglish just isn't okay when it comes to news broadcasts or political debates. In English it's 'million' then 'billion', in Swedish it's 'miljon' then 'miljard'. For some reason there's been several instances just in the past few days where both journalists and politicians lamely translate '$1,000,000,000' to '1 biljoner dollar'. Trouble is, in Swedish 'biljon' actually means 'trillion'. 

Again, this was one of those things that we were taught in a very early age in school, it came up both in math class and in English class whilst we were still aged with single digits, it's something most Swedes just know is a quirky thing (a bit like how we use commas instead of points; 5.5 = 'fem-komma-fem', i.e. '5,5' - which can make things confusing if you interpret the commas in 1,000,000 as decimal points).

But not the people in power, and not the people we trust (with tax money) to keep us updated on what's happening in the world, apparently. 

It's disgraceful. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 8:11 PM, Orwar said:

Peeve: Swenglish just isn't okay when it comes to news broadcasts or political debates. In English it's 'million' then 'billion', in Swedish it's 'miljon' then 'miljard'. For some reason there's been several instances just in the past few days where both journalists and politicians lamely translate '$1,000,000,000' to '1 biljoner dollar'. Trouble is, in Swedish 'biljon' actually means 'trillion'. 

Again, this was one of those things that we were taught in a very early age in school, it came up both in math class and in English class whilst we were still aged with single digits, it's something most Swedes just know is a quirky thing (a bit like how we use commas instead of points; 5.5 = 'fem-komma-fem', i.e. '5,5' - which can make things confusing if you interpret the commas in 1,000,000 as decimal points).

But not the people in power, and not the people we trust (with tax money) to keep us updated on what's happening in the world, apparently. 

It's disgraceful. 

Billion, Trillion, what's a factor of 1,000 between friends?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 2:11 AM, Orwar said:

It's disgraceful. 

Peeve: That is not only a Swedish problem. It is the same in German and Dutch and who knows in how many other countries abd languages too.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: That is not only a Swedish problem. It is the same in German and Dutch and who knows in how many other countries abd languages too.

I think it's also a problem between American English and British English, confusing the meaning of Billions and Trillions.

Psuedopeeve: Us darn Yankies getting our language and slang all over the place. 😁 

• Like 2

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

I think it's also a problem between American English and British English, confusing the meaning of Billions and Trillions.

Psuedopeeve: Us darn Yankies getting our language and slang all over the place. 😁 

Peeve: It's also easy to confuse "Brazilians" and "Bazillions"! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeve: When no matter what you do, you're always on the outside looking in.

You best not come peeping through my window!

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4