47 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

/me adjusts "Live, Love, Laugh" picture while leaving house

Watch out so you don't come home with Carpe Diem tattooed in some artsy chancery script down your forearm.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

And this is why we make fun of American cuisine.

Peeved I can't do what this guy does and where.

https://www.youtube.com/@KaradenizliMaceraci

While I can't use some of the ingredients he uses (peppers), I do miss that kind of environment for cooking. Open fires, stone/adobe ovens, baking fish in clay (leaves instead of foil)... dammit. Now I'm hungry for things I no longer have access to. So, I just watch. lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Thinking it's ok to control the conversation.

I used to go to a weekly salon meeting in SL for a while. Each meeting was on a topic pre-selected by the organizer. Each participant was allowed 10 minutes to give their opinion, followed by 5 minutes of questions and answers. Finally the group leader/  organizer would sum up the group's general "consensus". It was interesting and very well organized. The only problem, I realized, was that the general "consensus" was always the same as the organizer's view. She wasn't really listening to alternate views. She was just giving herself a forum in which she could be the Sun with other planets revolving around her. Once I saw this, I couldn't enjoy those meetings anymore. 

This was in her sim though, so it was fine for her to organize gatherings how she wished and to set rules for our discussion at these gatherings. If she had been acting that way on a public forum, the other people there would probably have been reasonably upset and not put up with such controlling behavior.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 6:29 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, I sometimes do a reply also.  However, it does seem like over the past month or two, we've ended up with long conversations generated from a single peeve post.  It makes it harder to keep up with the thread, for some of us anyway.

I struggle to keep up with the thread too, but the reason why I want to try to keep up with the thread is because I find the conversation/chatter/banter entertaining.  If it was all peeves and only peeves without the chat, I probably wouldn't bother to read it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I struggle to keep up with the thread too, but the reason why I want to try to keep up with the thread is because I find the conversation/chatter/banter entertaining.  If it was all peeves and only peeves without the chat, I probably wouldn't bother to read it.

I agree. Having a Peeve thread is a good thing, partly so we can commiserate with each other. We probably need to keep those "Yeah, I know. Right?" comments to under 1 or 2 pages though.

• Like 4

This is the first year I have to institute a phone pocket policy, I'm a little bummed by it. It's really not going well. I'd be a little less bummed if they were older kids and not all 8 and under, though still not happy. I've had to take too many away and set up too many parent meetings. It's just not cool. We're barely into October, we have a whole school year to get through still! 

These are the parents who walk into the school for a meeting while looking at their phone, playing on it while they wait the whole five minutes for me, not turning it off or looking away from it for the meeting, then screaming at you because you won't let their darling play on the phone like they do at home. "But they get good grades" "It's the only thing that keeps their attention". No parent dearest, it's the only thing that keeps your attention. Loads of things can keep your child's attention if you put in the teeniest bit of effort and put your own screen down first.  

My students are all awesome, really, they're doing their best and I love that (even when things go awry). Their parents on the other hand, need some serious work! 

Monkey see, monkey do, your little monkey will copy you!  I put that on a letter I sent home Monday, parental behavior is off the charts this year, so sad, but another peeve.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

This is the first year I have to institute a phone pocket policy, I'm a little bummed by it. It's really not going well. I'd be a little less bummed if they were older kids and not all 8 and under, though still not happy. I've had to take too many away and set up too many parent meetings. It's just not cool. We're barely into October, we have a whole school year to get through still! 

These are the parents who walk into the school for a meeting while looking at their phone, playing on it while they wait the whole five minutes for me, not turning it off or looking away from it for the meeting, then screaming at you because you won't let their darling play on the phone like they do at home. "But they get good grades" "It's the only thing that keeps their attention". No parent dearest, it's the only thing that keeps your attention. Loads of things can keep your child's attention if you put in the teeniest bit of effort and put your own screen down first.  

My students are all awesome, really, they're doing their best and I love that (even when things go awry). Their parents on the other hand, need some serious work! 

Monkey see, monkey do, your little monkey will copy you!  I put that on a letter I sent home Monday, parental behavior is off the charts this year, so sad, but another peeve.

Our three boys don't have one yet and probably won't have one until they are legally old enough to go and get one themselves..

It's been working great so far..

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Our three boys don't have one yet and probably won't have one until they are legally old enough to go and get one themselves..

It's been working great so far..

I understand why a lot of kids have them, although these kids really are too young to be bringing them to school (and some definitely should not have them at all). I do get it being a necessity on some levels, for certain occasions. Math class isn't the time nor place for tik tok, though. Some high school aged siblings also managed to convince some of them that they don't have to know (or know how to figure out) the answer to anything, they can just look it up. 

It's the whole dependency on it that bugs me the most. They see their parents attached 24/7, at home they probably spend a lot of time in front of a screen too.  Not to mention social media teaches them that kids, people really, around the world have their phones with them all the time, even in school. 

If I had kids of my own, they would NOT have a phone at this age. The internet is vast, and not entirely safe, especially for children. My classroom is a safe place where they can ask for help, not know the answers and spend time being the children they are while developing good educational habits! A phone is such a big responsibility for such little kids. 

• Like 6