2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope! peeving about that thread. 

Crossing threads, hoping to open a portal to send Zuul back, like in Ghostbusters.

Since this is an "online reality", I assume Zuul will be sent back via an API Gateway.

Ah, so that's what you've been doing! Crossing-posting now makes perfect sense too. People just want to open more portals into other dimentions. 🚪 

I love the irony here!!!

Is the irony that you can't find good southern food in your part of Florida?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I love the irony here!!!

Is the irony that you can't find good southern food in your part of Florida?

LOL!

No, the irony is the discussion about all the Southern food in NY..which is decidedly NOT in the South!

Conceptually: The "best" Southern food would be expected to be found in the South..and theoretically, if someone ONLY goes to places for Southern Food in NY ("not-South"), they may not actually know if the food is "real" Southern food without a basis of comparison!

An easier-to-express example is:  One would not look for the best "Texas BBQ" in North Carolina, or the best "Carolina BBQ" in Texas!

So if there's a Peeve, the above is possibly it..?

OTOH, I believe that the genesis of the recipes in my go-to Soul Food cookbook was a restaurant in NYC. ("Princess Pamela's Soul Food Kitchen")

And yes, I know that NYC is known for the excellent variety of food from other places. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

OTOH, I believe that the genesis of the recipes in my go-to Soul Food cookbook was a restaurant in NYC. ("Princess Pamela's Soul Food Kitchen")

OMFrickin'G, I have not heard of or thought about Princess Pamela's in decades!!  My first husband heard about it and took me; it must have been somewhere in the East Village as that is where we lived, upstairs in her or someone's apartment.  You could not just go, you had to be invited, and you ate whatever the Princess was cooking that night, at whatever time she felt the food was ready.  It was an amazing experience and definitely worth the wait!  Excavating the past...........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That'd be relevant if anyone was actually discussing "the best." We were simply discussing NYers having heard of hush puppies (which some of us absolutely have for a variety of reasons).

Anyhoo, no additional peeves to report, except now I'm thinking about snow and desperately wanting to plan a winter escape this year.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

OMFrickin'G, I have not heard of or thought about Princess Pamela's in decades!!  My first husband heard about it and took me; it must have been somewhere in the East Village as that is where we lived, upstairs in her or someone's apartment.  You could not just go, you had to be invited, and you ate whatever the Princess was cooking that night, at whatever time she felt the food was ready.  It was an amazing experience and definitely worth the wait!  Excavating the past...........

IMG_2129.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

OIP(1)(1).jpg.79156049279cf601437d3253ffd9f9a5.jpg

Peeve: When you first encounter a boss whose response to complaints is, "if you're going to give me a complaint, also tell me how you would fix the issue". (It's a shock!)

Also Peeve: When you realize that most don't care enough to solicit your ideas to fix issues. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When you first encounter a boss whose response to complaints is, "if you're going to give me a complaint, also tell me how you would fix the issue"

Because he or she doesn't have a clue how to either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

IMG_2129.jpeg

https://food52.com/blog/18949-she-was-a-soul-food-sensation-then-19-years-ago-she-disappeared  the ads on this page are intense and way too numerous but, if you can fight your way through, it's an interesting and moving read.  It was sometime between 1974 and 1977 when we visited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

https://food52.com/blog/18949-she-was-a-soul-food-sensation-then-19-years-ago-she-disappeared  the ads on this page are intense and way too numerous but, if you can fight your way through, it's an interesting and moving read.  It was sometime between 1974 and 1977 when we visited.

The copy I have is from a re-release only a few years ago, pretty certain I bought it from Amazon.  Every page has some homey Soul/Soul Food-inspired information or drawing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

to plan a winter escape this year.

From "Escape" by Rupert Holmes:

If you like piña coladas
And gettin' caught in the rain
If you're not into yoga
If you have half a brain
If you like making love at midnight
In the dunes on the cape
I'm the love that you've looked for
Write to me and escape

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

From "Escape" by Rupert Holmes:

If you like piña coladas
And gettin' caught in the rain
If you're not into yoga
If you have half a brain
If you like making love at midnight
In the dunes on the cape
I'm the love that you've looked for
Write to me and escape

I prefer this version:

escape.thumb.jpeg.7241b74dae9a017b86e04ec799379714.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/4/2023 at 4:42 PM, Leora Greenwood said:

Spent some formative grade-school years in North Carolina so I loved Hush Puppies; New Yorkers have nooooooooooooooooo idea what they are or what they are missing!!

In large parts of the world Hush puppies is a shoe brand, with a cute dog as symbol.
So Hush Puppies for lunch?  No thanks.

LOGO_HUSH_P-01-min_420x.png?v=1638896393

So a genuine pet peeve.

Edited by Sid Nagy
I forgot to insert the phrase pet peeve.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Both hush puppies originated in the US, just fyi.

So the US can't be part of a large part of the world?  🍻

It just sounds funny\cruel if someone says "I have hush puppies for dinner" and you only know the basset dog and the shoes as Hush Puppies.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I thought they were talking about the shoes o.O

Peeve: There are chefs who cook stakes in a way that they become shoe soles and there are even people who appreciate their steaks that way.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1