For years I've been peeved grocery stores stopped carrying a main ingredient for a very old recipe of mine. Campbell's Bouillon. There is a distinct difference between bouillon and broth. These days it's just plain old broth and my brown rice casserole suffers. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

For years I've been peeved grocery stores stopped carrying a main ingredient for a very old recipe of mine. Campbell's Bouillon. There is a distinct difference between bouillon and broth. These days it's just plain old broth and my brown rice casserole suffers. 

Try Knorr Bouillon Cubes 8 Count Box Variety Pack - Chicken, Beef and Tomato Chicken Flavor Bouillon (3 Pack). or stores sell it in loose form jars.  You can also find it marked Knorr Caldo, in various flavors.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cimri Weston said:

Try Knorr Bouillon Cubes 8 Count Box Variety Pack - Chicken, Beef and Tomato Chicken Flavor Bouillon (3 Pack). or stores sell it in loose form jars.  You can also find it marked Knorr Caldo, in various flavors.

No thank you. I've tried cubes. Not the same. If it doesn't come in a 12 oz can it doesn't work.

Perhaps I should have mentioned I have been missing the Campbell's Bouillon for about 35 years and have been searching for a proper substitute ever since. I've come to the conclusion there isn't one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

No thank you. I've tried cubes. Not the same. If it doesn't come in a 12 oz can it doesn't work.

Perhaps I should have mentioned I have been missing the Campbell's Bouillon for about 35 years and have been searching for a proper substitute ever since. I've come to the conclusion there isn't one.

My husband uses a product called Better than Boullion.  It's a liquid and not salty like bullion cubes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My husband uses a product called Better than Boullion.  It's a liquid and not salty like bullion cubes.

It tastes pretty good too.  I used to use it, the only problem I have with it is that a lot of the time it is gone from the shelves at our grocery stores 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Maybe you thinking of the French spelling Campbells Bouillon?

Campbells-Bouillon-concentre-square.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Maybe you thinking of the French spelling Campbells Bouillon?

Campbells-Bouillon-concentre-square.jpg

No. It said Bouillon right on the CAN, not beef broth.

s-l1600.jpg

Like I said, it is a very old recipe. It's way older than I am and I'm in my early 60s. It's also not a recipe that substitutions give the same flavor. I've been looking for a substitute for more than 30 years now. Nothing provides the correct flavor except for the Campbell's Bouillon.

• Like 1

Good news: AT LAST I received the new updates for two of my Genus heads today, including my "everyday" one!!!

Peeve: I'll likely end up spending tonight updating my outfits and look as a result, not to mention figuring out and learning how to manage any changes!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I also like it, comes in several yummy flavors. It's more of a paste IMHO.

Can't say I've ever looked in the jar!  He's the cook in the family.  I guess you dilute it with water to taste and add it?  I'll have to ask.

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Can't say I've ever looked in the jar!  He's the cook in the family.  I guess you dilute it with water to taste and add it?  I'll have to ask.

Basically, which is how granules work too (can't use either just by themselves, have to add water!). It's just liquid instead of being dry. Another difference is, you're supposed to refrigerate it after opening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Good news: AT LAST I received the new updates for two of my Genus heads today, including my "everyday" one!!!

Peeve: I'll likely end up spending tonight updating my outfits and look as a result, not to mention figuring out and learning how to manage any changes!

Here's hoping they fixed the Cookie Monster eyes! 

I only have the freebie and I think that'll be updated in a few days. Whether or not I dust it off to use it for something remains to be seen.

I saw a sneak peek of the new store on Discord (not open yet) and there are only a few new skins there so far if I'm reading that correctly. A leeeettle surprised they didn't partner with a skin creator to make a wider range of tones, but hey...updates at least.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OH, Scylla...forgot to tell you just FYI.

Genus made a new group in-world if you don't already know. It's Genus Project with a space. Looking at the group notices, it looks like Tres Beau is making some new skins for the HD map. They might be the same ones that are in the store, come to think of it, but there's an SLURL, too. And fair warning - they look pretty shiny (ugh), but maybe that's more of a head materials effect than the skin itself.

And as always, lemme just peeve once again on the group limit. ANY limit. I'm too much of a shopaholic for limits! 😩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Bouillon is just French for .. Broth. Whilst we don't have Campbell products here at all (as far as I'm aware, anyway) there absolutely is a very large difference in quality from brand to brand. Most bouillon cubes are over-salted and greasy (and often has specks of dried herbs in it that just screw up the texture of things), and though there are nicer bouillons available, those too commit the same cardinal sins of broth-making - salting the broth, and leaving the fat in.

Also most cubes have these little bits of dried herbs that just totally ruin the texture of just about everything you use them for. If they're going to make me strain it and degrease it it just loses the whole convenience aspect! At that point I might as well just make my own from scratch, which, honestly, is totally worth the effort when you can be bothered to do it.

Crayfish soup made with home-made shellfish broth .. One of the tastiest things on the planet. Unfortunately it's only served once a year, and unfortunately it is an option to black soup with goose giblets.

The black soup, obviously, wins every time.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Bouillon is just French for .. Broth.

I know. I've known for more than 50 years. The Campbell's had a particular flavor not found in other broths. Not even homemade. Whatever it was they used in it, they stopped and then it became just plain old beef broth. Campbell's Consommé has a similar flavor to the original but it's too strong. That is what I have been using as a sub, but it always disappoints.

Peeved so many things I use in cooking I can no longer obtain, and most substitutes will never cut it.

This is a recipe I only serve twice a year. Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Here's hoping they fixed the Cookie Monster eyes! 

I only have the freebie and I think that'll be updated in a few days. Whether or not I dust it off to use it for something remains to be seen.

I saw a sneak peek of the new store on Discord (not open yet) and there are only a few new skins there so far if I'm reading that correctly. A leeeettle surprised they didn't partner with a skin creator to make a wider range of tones, but hey...updates at least.

I actually had very few problems with my old head! The neck join was fine, except when wearing Legacy in certain conditions, and I had the eye issue fixed (by fiddling with something in the debug menu, I think?). I also very rarely used the animation HUD anyway.

I've spent the evening playing with the new one, and the animations are MUCH nicer. HOWEVER, I now have a more visible neck join for some reason:  a really lovely Genus CSR spent about a half hour in person with me trying to fix it (with no luck). It may be an issue with Session. At this stage, given that I was pretty happy with the older head anyway, I'm querying whether I should even bother switching over. (I couldn't care less about the new HD mapping.)

In terms of the broader picture: I'm glad they've finally done this, because it was absolutely necessary if they want to keep Genus afloat. One new male head and some glitch fixes isn't exactly going to challenge the juggernaut that is LeLutka, but it will keep some Genus users who might have wandered off because of the lack of update in the fold. And so long as they continue to offer than one free head, which I've seen used by a fair number of people, there should be enough Genus users out there that they won't be entirely abandoned by skin and cosmetics creators. And really, that's all I ask.

• Like 3

Pet peeve: People without reading comprehension and/or people who IM pointlessly.

Gathering info for a style card at a store, get an IM from a stranger.

Him: "Hey babe are you from California?"

...my character's bio says she is from Japan, avatar is clearly Asian. Having eyes is important you know!

Me: "No, why do you ask?"

*crickets... crickets... no response ever comes...*

And so it will forever remain a mystery why he asked that oddly specific and pointless question while I was parked in the middle of the LeLutka mainstore.

Edited by Missy Starchild
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Orwar said:

Bouillon is just French for .. Broth. Whilst we don't have Campbell products here at all (as far as I'm aware, anyway) there absolutely is a very large difference in quality from brand to brand. Most bouillon cubes are over-salted and greasy (and often has specks of dried herbs in it that just screw up the texture of things), and though there are nicer bouillons available, those too commit the same cardinal sins of broth-making - salting the broth, and leaving the fat in.

Also most cubes have these little bits of dried herbs that just totally ruin the texture of just about everything you use them for. If they're going to make me strain it and degrease it it just loses the whole convenience aspect! At that point I might as well just make my own from scratch, which, honestly, is totally worth the effort when you can be bothered to do it.

Crayfish soup made with home-made shellfish broth .. One of the tastiest things on the planet. Unfortunately it's only served once a year, and unfortunately it is an option to black soup with goose giblets.

The black soup, obviously, wins every time.

Strangely 'OXO' cubes from the UK are the best boullion cubes I have tried, as you say all the others seem overly salty and greasy.

OXO cubes are dry, they crumble easily.

• Like 1

Not a peeve: Running into @Scylla Rhiadra at her gallery showing of "Geometries of the Human" a few days ago. (If you haven't seen it, I would highly suggest it. The images are stunning, the quotes that go with are a perfect addition, everything is just so well done. (I'll be expecting my L$ kickback soon, Scylla...))

Not a peeve: Hearing that Genus has FINALLY updated their heads. omg. And I just multi-multi posted on a related thread about that on another subforum. Totally fainting in disbelief.

PEEVE: Being unable to move my avatar around effectively in SL because I have been inworld so rarely. In SL I use the arrow keys for movement. I've been playing a lot of Vintage Story and use WASD. My fingers can't figure out the difference. Also, Peeve Corollary: I can't figure out my viewer any more! Trying to cam around Scylla's exhibit was rather laughable. Le sigh.

PEEVE: It is becoming obvious to me (has for months), that hanging out in the SL Forums kept me somewhat informed on what is going on inworld. If I hadn't run into Scylla, I would have never have learned of the Genus update. Posting in another thread I learn that Lara X is coming out soon. Heaven only knows what else I don't know about. I've never been all that tech-savvy in SL (don't feel like spending the time to get a PhD in SL), but yikes...  I'm peeved that that might mean I spend more time back here. Maybe. Dunno. But I don't like not knowing BASIC stuff, ya know?

PEEVE: After seeing Scylla's exhibit, my fingers (that can't stop using WASD), really want to take some photos again in SL but my computer just is NOT up to it, not where it would be enjoyable, and so... pout. I can't/won't.

ETA. PS: Yes, I know I can change my preferences to use WASD in SL. But that would eliminate the need to whine.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I actually had very few problems with my old head! The neck join was fine, except when wearing Legacy in certain conditions, and I had the eye issue fixed (by fiddling with something in the debug menu, I think?). I also very rarely used the animation HUD anyway.

Oh, I had a LOT of problems. The googly eyes were a constant chore to fix. Main thing, though - I was furious that CSRs were straight up telling everyone not to use animations. Huge peeve. It's why I never moved beyond the free gift, and eventually let that collect dust. I mean...that's my entire reason for even using a mesh head in the first place, are you kidding? When I came back in 2020, I fought the idea of upgrading to mesh right until the moment my SL bestie told me that mesh heads would allow me to make even funnier faces. Ran RIGHT out and bought a Catwa. 🤣 Did not disappoint.

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In terms of the broader picture: I'm glad they've finally done this, because it was absolutely necessary if they want to keep Genus afloat. One new male head and some glitch fixes isn't exactly going to challenge the juggernaut that is LeLutka, but it will keep some Genus users who might have wandered off because of the lack of update in the fold.

Technically 4 male heads. Not particularly fond of them, though. They're rather angular. They'll also have a bit of a lull waiting for skins to be made. The female heads still have stores creating SLUV skins for them (WOW Skins and some others), but no male skins for Genus even exist yet, so...hopefully they launch with some sets ready to go.

As for the free head, the last I saw, they do intend to keep it. And if you want to update that one, when ready, you'll have to go to the store with the new group on since there's no redelivery option for the freebie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2