19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Ayashe Ninetails -- well the reviews are starting to appear, and they are, interestingly and probably predictably, largely determined by ideological preference.

On the one hand, Ben Shapiro's review features a video of him piling Barbies and Barbie merchandise into an oil can and setting them on fire. (Ben likes burning stuff with which he disagrees -- you know, books, witches, etc.)

On the other hand, reviews by more progressively-tilted media sources like The Guardian are predictably good.

I see both of the above instances as endorsements of the movie, of course.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jul/23/barbie-review-greta-gerwig-margot-robbie-ryan-riotous-candy-coloured-feminist-fable

The reviewer I went with is usually pretty balanced, and said it should have been a fun girl power movie, but it's dragged down by moments of clear anger and/or bitterness towards men.

So I suppose anyone that can ignore, forgive, or understand the hate, they'd give it a positive review, which lines up with the bias you're pointing out.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 2

No offence to Scylla...I think she is a bit wrong about The Guardian Barbie review...Mark Kermode writes for them but I don't think he has any political agenda, he also presented a UK TV film series and did a long special about the original Assault On Precinct 13 and obscure Japanese movies (he also liked M3gan 🤩 ) So  interesting to hear he rated Barbie...!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That peevish feeling when you log on to your very public home parcel, having forgotten that you were totally naked when you logged off last, and there's a person you don't know standing 5 metres away staring at you.

Peeve: @Scylla Rhiadra not explaining the naughty shenanigans that lead her to being naked in the first place, preferably with pictures on Flickr.

Second peeve: Not being invited to her home to participate in said naughty shenanigans.

Hrmph.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

No offence to Scylla...I think she is a bit wrong about The Guardian Barbie review...Mark Kermode writes for them but I don't think he has any political agenda, he also presented a UK TV film series and did a long special about the original Assault On Precinct 13 and obscure Japanese movies (he also liked M3gan 🤩 ) So  interesting to hear he rated Barbie...!

I was surprised at the review by Ben Shapiro but in spite of the somewhat theatrical start of his review, thought he made some valid points about some the content within the movie that he backed up with clips from it. I'll reserve final judgement until I have the opportunity to see it myself but I am hoping that Shapiro's rant about it, isn't the most entertaining aspect of the whole movie. And yes I agree that M3gan was a pretty good idea and movie. Another in the line of the dangers of AI and how it can easily go off the rails.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That peevish feeling when you log on to your very public home parcel, having forgotten that you were totally naked when you logged off last, and there's a person you don't know standing 5 metres away staring at you.

Lol. I'm always afraid I'll log in while my home region is down for maintenance or something and get teleported to a public area (happens so often), so I force myself to look "presentable" before logging out. I could be in the middle of a totally whacko complex transformation from human to Sphynx cat or something nutty but nooooo, I can't just log out and pick it back up tomorrow. I have to save it as an "in progress" outfit and then swap back to a finished look before I allow myself to click the X, no matter how tempted I get to leave my nekkie bugged out eyes purple avatar as-is. 😂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol3 is really good..

I'm looking forward to that one.  I don't watch pretty much any of the various superhero films, but fell in love with the Guardians -- probably for similar reasons of why I like Deadpool.

9 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Now there's a minor peeve - sequels. 

There are a few that have been good, so I don't hate them in general, but probably 95-99% of them suck, big time.  What's worse is when they just keep creating more and more and more and more sequels to something that was a piece of garbage to begin with.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back when peasants (like myself, at least) would live in 1-room houses, so the whole family got to watch shenanigans.

Well, that was the norm for hundreds of thousands of years for the vast majority of peoples around the planet. Privacy is an extremely modern concept. Sleeping arrangements and toilet arrangements were largely communal within families and societies until well into the modern period.

In fact, a couple of years back when some 'tribal' people were brought to London for some anthropological and medical research, they were accommodated with their own, separate hotel rooms - and they were terrified by it, thinking they were punished for having done something wrong along the way; being outcast and isolated from the communal sleeping space was perceived as a very harsh punishment to them.

• Like 6

There's an ad for a clawfoot bathtub made by a very well-known and respected creator in SL. They make very nice stuff, generally loaded with animations (Adult and otherwise). Pricey, but very good.

The ad shows a woman sprawled on the floor of her bathroom, leaning against her bathtub: I assume this is one of the included animations.

F11FlhIWAAAMFVC?format=jpg&name=large

The thing is, I don't associate my hard, tiled bathroom floor with sexy times. In fact, probably the only time I've ever been sprawled on the floor of my bathroom is because I've either been throwing up into the toilet, or am shortly planning to do so.

I wonder if it'll include that animation too?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There's an ad for a clawfoot bathtub made by a very well-known and respected creator in SL. They make very nice stuff, generally loaded with animations (Adult and otherwise). Pricey, but very good.

The ad shows a woman sprawled on the floor of her bathroom, leaning against her bathtub: I assume this is one of the included animations.

The thing is, I don't associate my hard, tiled bathroom floor with sexy times. In fact, probably the only time I've ever been sprawled on the floor of my bathroom is because I've either been throwing up into the toilet, or am shortly planning to do so.

I'm reminded of the time David Hasselhoff's kid took pictures of him eating a burger on the bathroom floor to shame him..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, were they going for sexy times? I was getting a "90s rock star" vibe.

Yeah that's dark, I know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1