1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Peeve:  Written abbreviations that take longer to say aloud than instead of saying the full longhand version aloud!

As an example, the James Webb Space Telescope is shortened to just "J.W.S.T."  in it's abbreviated written form. "J.W.S.T" is a written abbreviation to save space on a page of paper or on a screen.  

However, actually saying "J.W.S.T." aloud (Jay-doubleyoo-ess-tee) compared to "James Webb Space Telescope" saves absolutely no time at all and arguably "J.W.S.T." has more verbal syllables in it than actually saying the full longhand "James Webb Space Telescope" instead!  Try it yourself!

Peeve2: The people who continually use these abbreviations in normal speech thinking they're saving themselves time.

Fun Fact, these all exist: Initialisms, acronyms, and abbreviations! 

Peeve, never ending Fun Facts!

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: People who think that using capital letters and punctuation marks correctly is a goal in life and not a tool to make reading easier (as it should be IMHO).

Note: I'm Dutch. We never use a comma before "and" or "or". So better get used to that, if you consider yourself a part of The Internet Spelling And Grammar Police Force.
😂

Says the Dutch guy, with a language commonly compared to a throat infection.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

This is why the EU isn't mourning since the UK has left.

Having a Schengen land border with Germany has clearly influenced and affected the present-day Dutch population's ability to interpret some fairly obvious and deliberately over- jingoistic English humour which was clearly lost on you.

You have my sincere condolences for your country's "member state's" loss...

😜

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
typo!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Says the Dutch guy, with a language commonly compared to a throat infection.

Dutch is so simple. Even the children in the Netherlands can speak it.
🙃

It is not for nothing that we are so kind to speak English to foreigners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

However, actually saying "J.W.S.T." aloud (Jay-doubleyoo-ess-tee) compared to "James Webb Space Telescope" saves absolutely no time at all 

I call it by its shorter scientific name - the 'space snoop' 🙂

I don't have any peeves today, the weather is AMAZING 🌞😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Having a Schengen land border with Germany has clearly influenced and affected the present-day Dutch population's ability to interpret some fairly obvious and deliberately over- jingotistic English humour which was clearly lost on you.

You have my sincere condolences for your country's "member state's" loss...

😜

I just was a bit sarcastic.
That can be humor too.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

ability to interpret some fairly obvious and deliberately over- jingotistic English humour which was clearly lost on you.

1) ...wait wait wait, it was a joke?!

I only saw this part in your original post. Maybe it's something unique to English?

31 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

over- jingotistic

Peeve: I must have a terrible sense of humor.

2) Did you mean "jingoistic"? My browser underlines "jingotistic", but not "jingoistic". 

3) Or, is "jingotistic" a portmanteau of "jingoist" and "fantastic"? I'd have guessed "jingotastic" in that case; example usage: "That was some jingotastic humor!"

Peeve: I need to learn English.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Peeve The classist eternal quest to find "better people" for this virtual world. It would be so much better here without all these filthy poors and their deviant sexual obsessions.

Irony: we should instead be trying to BE "better people"!

Peeve : Don't set the bar too high or you will be lonely forever.

The bar : A man who uses soap.

😧

today is turning to be a special one ... 

It's better to be lonely alone than lonely with the wrong person. Besides, you can get a pet and go out with friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peeve The classist eternal quest to find "better people" for this virtual world. It would be so much better here without all these filthy poors and their deviant sexual obsessions.

Peeve : Don't set the bar too high or you will be lonely forever.

The bar : A man who uses soap.

😧

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Irony: we should instead be trying to BE "better people"!

Maybe we all just need to use more soap? I think that can be fun in the right situations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

-enter a place with upwards of 50 people in it

-2 seconds into rezzing in get a dm

-“hi :3”

Yeah that’s definitely how you make new friends online, with the most predatory and off-putting strategy ever of waiting for people to show up and immediately private messaging them a vague greeting. What do they expect as a response?

• Thanks 1

Peeve:  When someone posts off-topic, implying that LGBT people dismiss those with religious beliefs but "demand acceptance";  I provide a well-considered response about how "we bring our whole selves to Second Life";  but have to stop posting to go attend my RL LGBT+ Christian Church service.

Peeve: Hypocrites!

• Like 4

Peeve: When someone complains abut "off-topic" posts yet litters EVERY thread multiple times with jokes, rather than participate in the actual topic  only to bring attention to themselves.  

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Adulting!

I adulted today!  Cleaned a lawnmower carburetor for the first time - and it worked the first try! This was the kind where you can't just "drop the bowl", you have to disassemble the whole thing. 

Thank goodness for YouTube. 

Peeve: Having to adult! I want to go to the beach and paddle, but instead I am having to fix up a curtain rail that has come adrift from its moorings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Peeve: When someone complains abut "off-topic" posts yet litters EVERY thread multiple times with jokes, rather than participate in the actual topic  only to bring attention to themselves.  

Interesting point of view! 

In the case of the "Pride In Second Life" post, I am the "OP" and am sensitive to "haters" trying to derail that thread.

In the case of the "Mentors" thread, the current derail threatens to completely change the topic - out of pure ignorance (if you read what is being posted).

If you check many threads where I try to "call out" details, it is often because someone (else) appears to be trolling.

Peeve: People who don't read all my posts, so lack sufficient context to all my many contributions.

Thank you for your insight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1