51 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: "Breakfast cereal" was first promoted as a treatment for, umm.."Onanism".  By John Kellogg!

What a crock. I mean, obviously it doesn't work. Right?

Was the first Breakfast Cereal chocolate? Because I can see a theory there maybe, Just Maaaaaybe..

:D

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:
6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

People who forget that sentences, capital letters and punctuation are your friends.

I post on my phone at times and still manage to include all of the above, so that's no excuse.

Fixed. 😜

You missed a comma:

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

People who forget that sentences, capital letters, and punctuation are your friends.

If you're going to be the Grammar Police, do your job!!1!!1!!!

My brother's next door neighbour is an NHS qualified doctor who works abroad for much of the time as he believes NHS doctors are not valued or paid enough, yet he appears not to value the employees of a care home he co-owns, and begrudges them a free meal during their working day. I wonder when karma is going to bite him on his overfed arse. 

say what now.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

My brother's next door neighbour is an NHS qualified doctor who works abroad for much of the time as he believes NHS doctors are not valued or paid enough, yet he appears not to value the employees of a care home he co-owns, and begrudges them a free meal during their working day. I wonder when karma is going to bite him on his overfed arse. 

say what now.jpg

He needs Rowan's advice about Sentences and Punctuation 

• Like 3

FWIW, the New York Times editorial style does not allow the final serial comma. Rowan's sentence would have passed their editorial review with no difficulty. Personally, I prefer the serial comma because I think it reduces ambiguity, but that often puts me on the wrong side of the issue. Clearly, it's hotly debated in grammatical circles, and there is no "right" answer at this time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

FWIW, the New York Times editorial style does not allow the final serial comma. Rowan's sentence would have passed their editorial review with no difficulty. Personally, I prefer the serial comma because I think it reduces ambiguity, but that often puts me on the wrong side of the issue. Clearly, it's hotly debated in grammatical circles, and there is no "right" answer at this time. 

Yes, the standard I remember for ambiguity is the Panda, not allowed in the Western bar because he eats, shoots, and leaves. (Two extra commas, but still an example.)

• Like 2

@Love Zhaoying

Ugh!  You should NEVER put a comma just before an "and" in a sentence! The "and" should only be used in place of a comma in the final part of the sentence. Your sentence should correctly read as:

"Yes, the standard I remember for ambiguity is the Panda, not allowed in the Western bar because he eats, shoots and leaves."

^ Fixed. 😜

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Love Zhaoying

Ugh!  You should NEVER put a comma before an "and" in a sentence. The "and" is properly used in place of a comma in the final part of the sentence. Your sentence should read as:

"Yes, the standard I remember for ambiguity is the Panda, not allowed in the Western bar because he eats, shoots and leaves."

Fixed. 😜

Based on a bit of research, one can find just as many references stating the comma should be there as references stating it should not.

I'd say there is not a rule about such that everyone would agree on.

• Like 3

It is certainly possible to make yourself look like a bumpkin or a naif by ignoring grammatical conventions, but one sure way to mark yourself as a pompous pedant is to ignore the reality that there is no universal convention. Find one that suits your own style,  apply it consistently, and hold your head high. (Note my final serial comma. )

• Like 7

Peeve:  Written abbreviations that take longer to say aloud than instead of saying the full longhand version aloud!

As an example, the James Webb Space Telescope is shortened to just "J.W.S.T."  in it's abbreviated written form. "J.W.S.T" is a written abbreviation to save space on a page of paper or on a screen.  

However, actually saying "J.W.S.T." aloud (Jay-doubleyoo-ess-tee) compared to "James Webb Space Telescope" saves absolutely no time at all and arguably "J.W.S.T." has more verbal syllables in it than actually saying the full longhand "James Webb Space Telescope" instead!  Try it yourself!

Peeve2: The people who continually use these abbreviations in normal speech thinking they're saving themselves time.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Thanks 1

Peeve: People who think that using capital letters and punctuation marks correctly is a goal in life and not a tool to make reading easier (as it should be IMHO).

Note: I'm Dutch. We never use a comma before "and" or "or". So better get used to that, if you consider yourself a part of The Internet Spelling And Grammar Police Force.
😂

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I'm English. It's our language and no-one elses.

We created it. Our ball, our game and our rules. Therefore we win. Always.

England Flag GIF - England Flag Flying - Discover & Share GIFs

OED.jpg

😜

This is why the EU isn't mourning since the UK has left.
🤪

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1