1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Theory: Someone who KNOWS they are put together right doesn't need a mirror...?

And in Second Life you would not need one anyway, since we peep on avatars through this monitor thingy.

"When I was a cub, our avatars didn't have mirrors! We didn't know that our hair and shoes were up our butts, people had to tell us!"

"When I was a cub, Second Life was called 'Pong', and we liked it!"

(Also, "You have your hair so far up your own butt" is now my new favorite insult.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve. Maybe.

Guy on Twitter who opines that getting working mirrors in SL is a "girl thing," and asks men to weigh in on whether they care.

He might be joking? Or not.

Well, it did take a woman to tell us how to do mirrored water so...

https://strawberrysingh.com/2012/08/11/mirror-mirror/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve. Maybe.

Guy on Twitter who opines that getting working mirrors in SL is a "girl thing," and asks men to weigh in on whether they care.

Jeezuz, that guy needs to turn in his hold my beer card, because even I know who Bruce lee is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve. Maybe.

There's many uses , its just someone not thinking out of the box. Also, if LL can get this implemented without melting a low to mid-range gpu, it would be nice too.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 1:08 AM, Akane Nacht said:

only one depiction of that symbol is the "bad one". Hopefully people know the difference before they AR stuff

My husband used to work for Sun Microsystems.  We were throwing a party one year and my husband sent an email invite out to his team and then sent the same email on to me at work so that I could forward to my team.  The email contained his normal work email signature.

A member of my team, who happened to be Jewish, reported me to my manager because he thought I was sending emails out with the swastika symbol.

Here is the Sun Microsystems logo:
image.png.12b162253aae63320b82e7390be55846.png

So yeah, there will be plenty of folks that can't distinguish what symbol is what.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve. Maybe.

Peeve: If they can have working mirrors in The Sims, we can have them in SL, too. Anyone claiming that only "girls" play The Sims, they've got another think coming. There are tons of games out there, new and older than SL, that have reflections and mirrors. There's no reason other than LL not wanting to put in the effort, for there not to be mirrors in SL. It would be a practical addition if you stop to think about it. No more having to switch your cam back and forth while dressing which means it takes less time for you to dress and have more time for fun!

Mirrors make small rooms look larger.

Mirrors can bring the outdoors, in.

Photogs love using mirrors in their work.

There's more but I'm too tired to think of them tonight.

• Like 2

That 20,000 leagues under the see sim would have been amazing if we really had mirrors back then..

I remember watching the video on that and how the guy made the illusion of spinning mirrors that looked like they really were reflecting images..

It will be so wild if we can actually have cracked mirrors and the reflection be just like a cracked mirror..

Probably have to use a few mirrors to make a cracked mirror though.. Still it would be neat and I'm probably hyping myself up way beyond what we will. get hehehehe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SeattleChris said:

"When I was a cub, Second Life was called 'Pong', and we liked it!"

(Also, "You have your hair so far up your own butt" is now my new favorite insult.)

Atari!

Peeve!: You forgot the shoes up the butt. 

Yes, it's true. The older I get the less prison is a deterrent.

😇

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That 20,000 leagues under the see sim would have been amazing if we really had mirrors back then..

I remember watching the video on that and how the guy made the illusion of spinning mirrors that looked like they really were reflecting images..

It will be so wild if we can actually have cracked mirrors and the reflection be just like a cracked mirror..

Probably have to use a few mirrors to make a cracked mirror though.. Still it would be neat and I'm probably hyping myself up way beyond what we will. get hehehehe

Sure, sounds cool, but why would men want them?

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My husband used to work for Sun Microsystems.  We were throwing a party one year and my husband sent an email invite out to his team and then sent the same email on to me at work so that I could forward to my team.  The email contained his normal work email signature.

A member of my team, who happened to be Jewish, reported me to my manager because he thought I was sending emails out with the swastika symbol.

Here is the Sun Microsystems logo:
image.png.12b162253aae63320b82e7390be55846.png

So yeah, there will be plenty of folks that can't distinguish what symbol is what.

Goodness. Swastika is a symbol of the sun in Indian culture (and suddenly it dawns on me that might be the inspiration for the logo 😜). It's about the triumph of light over darkness ie. symbol used at Deepavali, which is today!. Also a harvest festival, and a chance for my neighbours to stick sparklers in my door grille and make a mess.

There's also the Red Swastika Society, a Chinese philanthropic group, which does charity work and runs schools. 

Edited by Akane Nacht
sloppy typing, need more coffee
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

Goodness. Swastika is a symbol of the sun in Indian culture (and suddenly it dawns on me that might be the inspiration for the logo 😜). It's about the triumph of light over darkness ie. symbol used at Deepavali, which is today!. Also a harvest festival, and a chance for my neighbours to stick sparklers in my door grille and make a mess.

There's also the Red Swastika Society, a Chinese philanthropic group, which does charity work and runs schools. 

Also is in the southwestern Indigenous cultures in America.

I'm just guessing, but the Germans may have even gotten the idea and modified a version of  the symbol from there.

Again just guessing, mainly because before WWII, they had anthropologist or spy's acting like anthropologist, come over to try and learn the languages, to try and break the code of the Code Talkers, because of Code Talkers being used in WWI..

From what I remember back when I was learning it, which has been a good bit now.. They really didn't use Code Talkers that much in Europe in WWII, because word got out that the Germans had people over here trying to learn the languages to crack Code Talker codes.. But, they were used more against the Japanese though..

Many think there was just the Navajo Code talkers, but there were the other southwestern indigenous and their languages as well that they would have to crack.. So they never really could crack the Code Talkers code..

That's a very rough version of that, since it's been awhile that I read on it and my memory not being the best..

I really kind of got side tracked there.. sorry.

• Like 1

Peeve: Not knowing what I'm doing.

Having setup various things so I can try an electric guitar, I went and sorted through the "pile 'o guitars".  Low and behold, only one electric (not counting the "electric-acoustic" or the lap/steel)..and it was a smaller youth learning model.  Looks like a trip to the pawn shop is order, for a proper sized electric!

23 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Also is in the southwestern Indigenous cultures in America.

Aha!
This was my sole understanding of the symbols origins until the south asian version surfaced.
Given that this may be a design I *might use for my pendants.... 🤔 (think symbols of world cultures used for good),
I gravitate to the American Indian peoples use of same.
Although I would need to feel satisfied that the sale of such an item provide some benefit to these peoples and its use,
(by me), is actually approved.
That would be just wonderful.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Aha!
This was my sole understanding of the symbols origins until the south asian version surfaced.
Given that this may be a design I *might use for my pendants.... 🤔 (think symbols of world cultures used for good),
I gravitate to the American Indian peoples use of same.
Although I would need to feel satisfied that the sale of such an item provide some benefit to these peoples and its use,
(by me), is actually approved.
That would be just wonderful.   

FYI - in case you did not know, "The word swastika comes from Sanskrit: स्वस्तिक, romanized: svastika, meaning "conducive to well-being"." (Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika)

Edited by Love Zhaoying